Yearling Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SNKMST

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am just wondering what type of/size of the enclosures you all use for your yearlings.

Reason i ask is that i am about to recieve a pair of yearling BHPs and am needing to sort out a residence for them.

Hey,

I think you'll find that the general concensus is that you should make sure you have a suitable home before buying the snakes, but anyway its done now. I don't own any of these guys (wish I did though), but I am quoting a reliable source and I am sure those here with BHPs will sort you out...

According to John Weigel's book 'Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity' (you should get yourself a copy of this :wink:), BHPs are mostly ground dwelling so you wont need anything with a great amount of height, and the following is a quote from the book:

To house one, or occasionally two specimens, an indoor terrarium should be at least half the length of the longest specimen within; the minimum width should be half the measurement of the cage length.
Considering that a yearling BHP is probably going to be at least 4ft long, you'll want something about 600mmW x 450mmH x 300mmD according to the book, but if it was me I would go 600mmW x 450mmH x 600mmD. This way there is a little room for growth before needing something bigger, and if you are keeping them together you may need something a little bigger again, possibly 900mmW. Again, I am no expert, just going off the book...

Also, the book mentions that large specimens (meaning adults I guess) can be cannibalistic around feeding time, not sure when you'll need to start worrying about this but at least be aware of it...

Cheers. :)

BTW all I havnt yet recieved the animals which is why I am now getting there enclosures sorted out.

I already have enclosures for them for when they get around the 6foot mark I have a few banks of 4 that are each enclosure is 1200x600x600. These are to big for a yearling which is why i have asked what others keep them in at the yearling stage so around 4-5foot.

Ok, I can't help you with that as I don't have any, but if it was me, I would stick them in the big enclosures. If not insert a divider in one and make 2 smaller ones.

Anyway, Good luck with it. :)

Yeah that is what I was thinking dividing one of the enclosures.

Just have to work out the heating now as if i was to seperate then i wouldnt have heat on the left side but that should be easy to resolve.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back