water logged Diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chippa8

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've just brought my first juvenile Diamond Python last week. But when I came home from work yesterday I was shocked to see the baby Python almost fully submerged in it's water bowl. When I picked it up the snake was very cold to the touch. Is this normal behavior for juvenile Diamonds? I have only had mature Diamonds in the past & have not noticed this before.

chippa8 - i think its normal behavior of any baby snake, i found mine (i bought a really large water bowl) swimming fully submerged in it, i got him out and fed it, i came back about 25min later (after he had finished) and he was swimming again! i dunno....maybe they like abit of fun from time to time!!!!

the most likely cause could be a case of mites, have a close look at the snake and see if you can see
little black colored dots either on or under the scales. Check the water by pooring it through a few layers of
white kitchen toweling paper and see if there are any black specs in it as well.
What temp range are you keeping the enclosure at?

The temp range is between 28-32 degrees. I don't think it's mites but I'll give the paper towel a go & see what happens

Maybe the snake is too hot. Maybe the snake has mites as said before and is soaking to get some relief. Third scenario is that your snake just enjoys soaking. I have an eight foot diamond that is in its waterbowl every other morning

the most likely cause could be a case of mites, have a close look at the snake and see if you can see
little black colored dots either on or under the scales. Check the water by pooring it through a few layers of
white kitchen toweling paper and see if there are any black specs in it as well.
What temp range are you keeping the enclosure at?

I think you're jumping to conclusions there mate, but regardless I would check for mites anyway. Given that it is a Diamond and you have the enclosure at 28-32 degrees I would suggest that it is just trying to cool down. Diamonds are a temperate species of python and as such need a cool retreat. I give my adult Diamonds 4 hours of heat a day (basking spot gets to about 30 odd degrees, maybe warmer) with nothing for the remainder.

Make sure there is plenty of ventilation in your enclosure I'd suggest running the heat off a timer.

The temp range is between 28-32 degrees. I don't think it's mites but I'll give the paper towel a go & see what happens

I reckon that might be a little hot for a Diamond . I've found that little ones do well between
24 & 30 degrees .

There is alot information and observations that have been made about diamonds being very fond of water. Alot of members on this forum have observed more diamonds in the wild when it rains then on hot humid days! If it was a bredli or coastal you might worry about mites, but i wold just think its a case of the diamond enjoying water.

What other hides have you provided? Juvenile snakes will often submerge in their water bowls when they are feeling insecure, and this may be because they are not comfortable with the set-up or hides provided.

Temps may be playing a part here. If you have a sufficient balance of heat and humidity then a diamond will usually only soak in water if it has mites. Yes it is true that diamonds (and other pythons) enjoy a soak occasionally, but i have never had a diamond soak in it's water for any other reason than mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back