Very Cheap Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was inspired by your idea but my version cost a bit more. I went larger on the tub. 220lt from Bunnings cost about $70 and I had 5mm glass cut for me as I don't have that skill.
I made a pine frame for the front, painted it, screwed it on, a bit of silicon to seal around the inside and glued on the plastic track.
I am housing a pair a young Ridge-tailed monitors and I also added felt to the over lap as it was possible for them to work their way out between the panes.
Heating has no effect on the plastic. I have a heat cord under the tub where the hide is and just screw straight through the plastic into a mounting board to fit the lights to. The power cords just come straight out the top then cable tie along the roof to the back of the tub.
The shelves are simpley screwed in place and I have also added a hollow log to the side wall by the leaves using chip board screws.

Attachments

• ackie_home.jpg
    ackie_home.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 296
  • ackie_home3.jpg
    ackie_home3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 241
i've got my 2 mew darwins in a double enclosure made like this..

i used two 50L starmaid tubs, stood upright, a pine fraim painted,
5mm glass, some mesh for the lighting, and mixing bowls for the light fittings..
very cheap, very easy, looks great.

dont it suck when u type something then actually read the post and find someone has already said exactly what you did :)

Last edited:
Cheap enclosure

Hi there..l love "BOOK" s idea of using a 220 litre tub from Bunnings, now $41.00 for under $100.00 diy you are going to end up with an enclosure you could possibly keep a woma or something similar in size for most of its life and can be washed or hosed out periodically...cheers solar 17

I would be guessing you could only really use this type of idea for heat mats/heat cords etc ? or could you also use it for UV lights ceramic lights etc ? or would the container reach to high of a temperature that the plastic will melt ?. Great idea by the way to ;).

Solder in some 5mm mesh as vents near light / heat sorce and plastic no melt.

I have been using those 220l tubs from bunnings for a while now.
I keep 2 side by side with a q block frame attatched to the lip of each tub (this prevents the upper side of the tub from sagging when its placed on its side. I have another square frame of q block within the outer frame which is attatched with 2 hinges on the side (you could also have bottom hinges) and a piece of 6mm glass on each door.
(I also put a couple of handles on the inner frame and a locking mechanism which is easily riveted to the q block) I cut a hole in the tub using a jigsaw on the right side of one tub and the left side of the other tub (about 150mm gap) I place 150mm pvc pipe through the hole and silicon it in place.
I put a heat panel in 1 tub and the other stays at room temp (if the tub has a few holes drilled in to the back). I put a hide and a perch in each tub, a water bowl in the cool end and your all set.
I have also just made one thats sits flat (tub upright) for vens with a thin cut in the pvc between the 2 tubs which allows you to place a thin object seperating the 2 enclosures for ease of cleaning.
Tubs could also be stood vertical for colubrids etc.

Note: The plastic is very thick, there are no gaps(moulded) and they hold heat well. My dad made just a steel frame for them to sit in. It can hold 4 high by 2 across. Another good thing is that they are angled towards the sky when sitting on the side which also helps if you have external lights or a skylight in your snakeroom.

These enclsoures could be used for all types of morelia, aspidites, anterasia adults etc You can just make one tub for younger animals or maybe even 3 tubs across for big bhps, waters, olives

I think the total cost for 1 enclosure, 2 tubs across with all the trimmings was about $160, minus the heat panel.

What I have said may be confusing to some, so ill get some pics when ive got some more time.

Cheers. Lance.

does anyone have the product barcode/name/info of these 220lt tubs? i was at bunnings for an hour just looking at tubs and came home with a nylex 60lt recycling tub

pics of your setup would be cool lance

220 litre tub

Hi there..no bar code on mine but in brizzy they had to be ordered in from their warehouse, but if this helps height =500 x wide [outside lip]630 x length =875 [outside lip]...cheers solar 17.....ps.$41.00.

I have been using those 220l tubs from bunnings for a while now.
I keep 2 side by side with a q block frame attatched to the lip of each tub (this prevents the upper side of the tub from sagging when its placed on its side. I have another square frame of q block within the outer frame which is attatched with 2 hinges on the side (you could also have bottom hinges) and a piece of 6mm glass on each door.
(I also put a couple of handles on the inner frame and a locking mechanism which is easily riveted to the q block) I cut a hole in the tub using a jigsaw on the right side of one tub and the left side of the other tub (about 150mm gap) I place 150mm pvc pipe through the hole and silicon it in place.
I put a heat panel in 1 tub and the other stays at room temp (if the tub has a few holes drilled in to the back). I put a hide and a perch in each tub, a water bowl in the cool end and your all set.
I have also just made one thats sits flat (tub upright) for vens with a thin cut in the pvc between the 2 tubs which allows you to place a thin object seperating the 2 enclosures for ease of cleaning.
Tubs could also be stood vertical for colubrids etc.

Note: The plastic is very thick, there are no gaps(moulded) and they hold heat well. My dad made just a steel frame for them to sit in. It can hold 4 high by 2 across. Another good thing is that they are angled towards the sky when sitting on the side which also helps if you have external lights or a skylight in your snakeroom.

These enclsoures could be used for all types of morelia, aspidites, anterasia adults etc You can just make one tub for younger animals or maybe even 3 tubs across for big bhps, waters, olives

I think the total cost for 1 enclosure, 2 tubs across with all the trimmings was about $160, minus the heat panel.

What I have said may be confusing to some, so ill get some pics when ive got some more time.

Cheers. Lance.

What size pythons can be housed in the 220 lt ones? What do they measure out to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back