Stressed, scared, help? Unhandleable snake...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the rub! He'll happily try to maul me, by the second a MOUSE or rat is in front of him, he'll either whip around it to get me...or sniff it very very slowly, and then ignore it. If it's on the floor, he sniff it up and down about 4 times, and then ignores it.

What a brat. :p

When he is 'sniffing it' have you tried pushing the mouse gently against his mouth? My snake when i got him would take it that way but wouldn't actually strike the mouse he'd be lazy and wait for me to stick it in his mouth, totally different story once i tried him on rats instead though he goes crazy :p.

Simply put, I'm scared of him. VERY. I know he's small, but I get really upset and panicked and I'm finding it really hard to even get him OUT of the enclosure.

So...suggestions? What would you do? quote]

Sell him. Don't get anymore snakes. maybe get another dragon?

Prob solved!

Everybody thinks that all snakes are cute, cuddly etc.
But they all have different temperments and some species are worst than others.
I think the best are diamonds and the worst are jungles.
Darwins are known also for a bit of agro.
Out of all my hatchies this year [ and believe me there was a few ]
I only had 1 spotted, 1 intergrade that were snappy and were a pain to deal with.
The intergrade has since calmed down [ a bit..lol ] and is being picked up today - very last one.
Every buyer was stoked with their disposition etc.
Now, if a newbie wants a jungle for example, and has to have it, well he/she needs to put up with
what they end up with.
I picked up a pair of jungle hatchies this, awesome looking critters.
the male is as placid as, the female wants to eat you, bit you and kill you 24/7.
But, I knew that, so i moved on.
I'd be suprised if the breeder takes the snake back due to the risk to his/her collection.

Sorry but i have to agree with Trousa.....you will just end up stressing the snake and yourself out more.......buy a dragon.

I know what you are going through I had the exact same experience and it is quite upsetting.
You have three choices.
1: Ask the breeder if they would take it back for a refund
2: Persist and hope it settles down(it should with age)
3:Contact DSE and get a special dispensation to sell him (as you have not held him for 6 mths yet)
I have herd of people taking option 1 and the breeder was fine about it.
I personally took option 3
Good luck
:?

Sorry to jack the thread but can you give an animal away before the 6month period?

And in regards to the thread it's obvious that your'e not happy Rose so i'd just move on as you may never really be comfortable with this individual snake which isn't fair to you

i dunno much about the feeding thing coz my snake is agro AND an agressive feeder.
i picked him tho for his fiestiness coz he had a really good feeding response.
i tease him with the pinky rat at first by sorta jiggling it near the side of the enclosure then ill let him sorta smell/taste it then move it back again and he works it out. i dunno how to make a snake feed tho lol.
as for the agressive side, i couldn't pick him up without a series of bites and craziness and then i got scared of him too. i know some people on here says DONT USE GLOVES but when i picked him up with a hook and put him down on my gloves he didn't freak out at all. which made me confident with him, now he crawls around on my hands no problem (still haev to hook him out though or he freaks).
buy a hook ..they're great ^_^

also i noticed he was less stressed when i moved his enclosure to the top of my bookcase, and now hes good :D

Please PM me hun, i live not far from you and would be more than happy for you to come over for coffee, bring your little boy with you and i'll s what i can do. i have done the same thing for a few on this forum, and have yet to find a snake i couldn't calm, if not tame.
Warmest regards.
sil.

Please PM me hun, i live not far from you and would be more than happy for you to come over for coffee, bring your little boy with you and i'll s what i can do. i have done the same thing for a few on this forum, and have yet to find a snake i couldn't calm, if not tame.
Warmest regards.
sil.

you haven't met satan, some snakes just don't like people.

I have a hatchie that behaved exactly the same as yours. I have kept it in a small enclosure and only handling for a few minutes when cleaning out her enclosure, and I always use a hook to pick it up out of the enclosure, and then place it on your hand. I believe it was more important to get feeding first and once it is feeding regularly then you can start handling it more to see if it will then settle down.

Mine did the same thing with sniffing the food, but would not strike at it. If I tried pusing the mouse gently into his mouth, she would recoil away from it. What has worked the last three weeks in a row is braining the mouse, which is pusing a knife into the brain cavity, so the brain juice will run out. Then I just put it into the enclosure and leave it in total darkness. It has normally disappeared after a few hours.

Once I am convinced she is eating regularly, I will slowly increase my handling times, as this has worked with some of my other aggresive hatchlings.

This may or may not work, as each snake will react differently, but it will give you something else to try.

quails will quite often get a fussy snake to slamm it. lol it is a nice snake this darwin, if you decide you want to sell it let me know :)

hi rose n everyone...sadly, im the owner of this lil Darwin bub..:( i didnt realise he has come up with such a temper as he was extremely ok with me n hubby, my kids 7 and 5 years old, handled him regularly..but not everyday..he was with my 2 19mth old coastals and another sibling same age in the previous enclosure..Helikaon was there with us n Rose during the 'probing session'..i admit he n his sibling can b a bit cranky at times, but that was when they were smaller (at 2 mths) n in their own enclosure .. They have sinced calmed down when i put them together with the older coastals.. so it does puzzles me as well as why he has become so agro...

Rose, how big is his hide? cos IMO snakes like to relax with their bodies touching solid object n they like cramped boxes/hides..an overly large hide box may make him uncomfortable..thats y u see the 2 xtra small logs in my enclosure..hope this helps...but if not we can always organise something...:(

I think you should do what everyone suggests and leave him for a while longer.
Don't stress yourself about the handling, the most important thing is for you to overcome your fear and the only way to that is is for you to feel comfortable. Whether you use a hook or gloves you need to do whatever works for you. Just go a little bit at a time, there's no rush, he doesn't sound like he will settle down overnight but overtime maybe he will. Just think how stoked you'll be if he settles down and know that it was your hard work and persistance that did it. Good luck.:D

Hi,

I have no exp with snakes but I did read that when a snake is feeding they are most vulnerable and won't feed with you there as you are a threat to it and if it is stresses that will be more of a reason you are a threat - another preditor to them, in the infomation - they said to leave it in the enclosure and cover it - the snake should start feeding with you there after a few times, as it gets to know you.

but thats what I read.

hi rose n everyone...sadly, im the owner of this lil Darwin bub..:( i didnt realise he has come up with such a temper as he was extremely ok with me n hubby, my kids 7 and 5 years old, handled him regularly..but not everyday..he was with my 2 19mth old coastals and another sibling same age in the previous enclosure..Helikaon was there with us n Rose during the 'probing session'..i admit he n his sibling can b a bit cranky at times, but that was when they were smaller (at 2 mths) n in their own enclosure .. They have sinced calmed down when i put them together with the older coastals.. so it does puzzles me as well as why he has become so agro...

Rose, how big is his hide? cos IMO snakes like to relax with their bodies touching solid object n they like cramped boxes/hides..an overly large hide box may make him uncomfortable..thats y u see the 2 xtra small logs in my enclosure..hope this helps...but if not we can always organise something...:(

this isnt your fault tini hes just being a poop, he'll settle rose just give him a bit of time.

Thanks Gary..i hope he will...cant help feeling bad about it....:(

its just the way it is, dont feel bad, lol my6 psycho snake got thrown n for half price when i bought 2 other hatchies from a guy, and hes been psycho his whole life. and i have had other ones considered very snappy and they have calmed down and never bitten as soon as i get them home. all of them are different, i reckon the little darwin will settle when he gets eating properly and grows a little, people are very scary to little snakes.

I would avoid handling or disturbing him as much as possible, make sure there are good secure hides and heat available. Maybe post a pic or description of your setup. Also get bitten so you can lose your fear(just dont get bitten on the eye lol). I would leave him alone completely for a week or so then try feeding.

There should be no reason to have to disturb the snake untill it eats.

Have you tried putting a hiode up near trhe top pf the enclosure, My diaminds and coastal only use the high hides.

Apparently snakes become less stressed and less inclined to bite when they're in the presence of other snakes, just something I learnt on the Discovery channel :) Maybe that's why the Darwin calmed down when you put it with the coastals..?

Last edited:
Ive got an intergrade carpet & he the same & I cant blame him.
If something 1 million times bigger then me was coming at me I would use the only defence I have to.
& that is to bite.
I also agree with garthnfay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back