Stressed, scared, help? Unhandleable snake...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rose - About 18 months ago I bought two little Broome Stimmies - six months old...

Upon arrival I could have sworn I was sent two baby Eastern Browns - I have never seen such psychotic snakes... :D

I left both for two weeks with no handling/feeding. The female fed with no issues immediately, however, was still an absolute lunatic. The male (who had been feeding fine) did not feed for about two months - he then took up feeding very well - he also remained a lunatic.

For the next four months they were NEVER handled - they were hooked in and out for cleaning and the like - striking the entire time.

All of a sudden, around the 10mth old stage with a bit more size on them both just stopped being cranky and are now calm, quiet and friendly as...

I am confident that your snake is merely stressed, all the symptoms are correct, crankier than before, not feeding and the like. I would suggest you add extra hides to the enclosure to make sure he feels secure and leave him alone. I would also use a hook to move him out of his tub for cleaning etc - I generally use a hook to move all young snakes around as I find it stresses them far less.

Thanks Gary..i hope he will...cant help feeling bad about it....:(

Don't you feel bad, it is not your fault. I sold a childreni to a lady around the road. It was about a year old and beautiful. She took it home and told me a few weeks later how feral it was..I said that I never had a problem. She brought it back...I had it for a couple of months...never attempted to be pyscho or bite me....I gave it back to her...she then brought it back again and said it was feral, we swapped her for some beardies. I was very fussy who I sold the poor little thing to after that...so I finally sold it to two lovely brothers who had already had a childrens and it is gorgeous and has a lovely home.
The lady around the road had kept it in the loungeroom (high traffic area) had two small kiddies that were very full on etc.
So it certanly was not my fault and I certainly didn't feel bad.It was just the situation that it was put in to...
It's environment and living arrangements need to be changed..

I'm still giving my little coastal time .. he's such a bugger 3 1/2 weeks still hasnt eaten.

He's warm, quiet, and covered with a good hide and not too big a cage. I sit at the opposite end of the room and I saw him start to explore yesterday and show interest in smell/sound.

I hope he comes round and eats soon too! Apparently he was at the pet store for 18 months! No wonder he is so stressed

Have you tried putting a hiode up near trhe top pf the enclosure, My diaminds and coastal only use the high hides.
my blondies and my diamond also. i use four hides, one large, with a smaller on top, at both hot and cold ends. I have only seen any of the four snakes in the two upper hides (all separate enclosures :)

i have a stimpson and when i first got him he was an awesome snake. very calm never struck anyway we moved him from my place to my girlfriends house and he went nuts always striking
he was in a new environment also the weather changed

he was like a demon possessed snake attacking everything he even tried to swallow a pillow case i had over my hand once

i started to get scared to pick him up too

i found out the temperature in his enclosure was too high, so i cooled him down by setting the heat lamp to come on less and he returned to being an awesome snake again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back