Stimson Python What do i need to put in its cage ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StimsonPython145

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am getting a stimson python for Christmas :), but i dont really know wat to put in its cage.

I need to know the basics (eg. flooring, branches)

And also do u have to have a heat lamp (basking lamp) or can you have a heat rock or a heat blanket ?

It depends on the size of your enclosure/vivarium. I have a basking lamp/heat lamp as well as a heat cord on the floor of the viv.
Stimmies are more ground dwellers (terrestrial) as opposed to your SW Carpets (arboreal) which like to climb a little more. Having said that, my Stimmie still likes to climb up the fake rock wall background and doesn't mind climbing up a branch or two as well (even if he does fall offwhen he gets to the top).
Cage furnishings are really a matter of personal choice.
I would most definately include a hide in the cooler end and a hide in the warmer end as well. This can be a proper fake rock hide den as available at reptile suppliers or an empty card board box or cut down glad wrap inner tube....whatever really.
You can make it as natural or as pimped out as you like.....just remember the more elaborate the cage furnishings the more there is to clean as well.
There are heaps of different substrates available on the market but I would say for a first step, go the nice cheap easy to clean paper. That way you will see the poops really easily and you can clean it easily as well. They tend to get a little camouflaged in the nature bark/natural looking stuff.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Do you know where you are buying it from? I'm in Perth too.

as a hatchling i kept my stimmie in a plastic storage box (click clack) with a Heat Mat underneath. Now he is in a bigger wooden enclosure i use a ceramic heat emitter which does the same job as a basking lamp but without light, it's basically what ever you prefer. I use a thermostat to keep a constant temp around 34 DegreesC. i don't use heat rocks or blankets, i've had relatives with bad experiences from heat rocks malfunctioning. Flooring i use Slate tiles, u can too or ceramic tiles. Newspaper is easy to keep clean. but theres other options but i think these are the easiest to maintain. you can add branches and rocks and stuff, altho look out for pests on it if you pull it out your backyard. you may need to dunk it in water to drown them all!

Well said Toastie. I have been thinking about using slate tiles as well, simple because they are easier to wipe clean. I have been keeping my eyes open for some.

Cheers, yea the slate i use has a wicked black colour and a wonderful texture, but yea every time my little fella leaves me a present it comes off easily with some wet paper towl! haha

Yeah, that's a significant question. I kept my Hatchling Stimmie in a plastic container for a while before placing it into a viv.
My Carpet Pthon on the other hand was ready to go straight into its viv and hated the small tub.

you must neva eva put a heat rock in a python/snakes cage, that is more so for lizards than snakes. snakes r more likely to burn themselves. i got the infrared lamps on my pythons and give them an area to escape from the heat. but for a hatchie they say that u can leave a stimmie, spotted and chidreni in a 8L x 6H (inches) container for the first year or so (depending on growth rate) with a heat mat again covering only half of the floor.
i use newspaper to cover the bottom coz its easier to clean. they seem to be more so ground dwelling but u can still put in a branch to keep them entertained and a waterbowl big enough for the python to submerge itself without over flowing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back