Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wouldn't worry about it. I've kept two snakes in same enclosure for three years now. Never ahd any issues at all!!!

Maybe they are both the same sex.:D

In a shared enclosure hygeine becomes even more important as they will be sharing their excreta with each other.

my 3 young proserpines are together and actually appear quite social. but then again it could depend on a lot other factors and the individual snakes involved:?

Bit of a silly comment, If you try to keep any other snake with a BHP it WILL eat it
regardless of wether the other has eaten or not!

In understanding what I was saying contextually, obviously I was using that as an extreme example which will almost invariably result in one snake being eaten. I would agree with you but think "that's a silly comment" is totally taking what I said the wrong way.

(edited out sarcasm: arguing on the internet is stupid and should be avoided)

they look fine, maybe a larger hide, cross your fingers that the new one is 100% healthy or you just created a bigger problem than the one posted.

I would suggest seperate enclosures that is the only way that you could be 100% certain of which one defecates and how often etc, there are a lot more +'s for keeping them apart than -'s, some of which other people have all ready said. V

I managed to borrow a spare enclosure for a while to keep the smaller snake in but since I separated the two they've both gone crazy! Monty, the larger one, hasn't stopped patrolling her house searching every corner of her cage and rubbing up against the door trying to open it, and the smaller one is searching as well, but a bit less passionately. When I opened the door Monty slid out herself exploring and headed straight for the pillowcase the smaller one arrived in. In the end I had to take her away from the pillowcase and has continued searching all through her enclosure. Monty did do that before we introduced her to the new snake but I though had something to do with the season, but she's gone searching for something again. It's strange but I think they miss each other.

If they don't calm down soon I'll put them back together under close supervision and see what happens.

i keep coastals together with no problems. but i never feed them together. their allways removed 1 at a time from their enclosure for feeding. having said that i dont have any problems, theres allways the chance of things going wrong. keep a close eye on them till your sure they have settled in. as others have said you should of had a quarintine period before putting your snakes together. but that looks alittle late to do now

i have kept my pair of port macs together for around 20 months...are fine and about 1.8 metres long each. hae 1 hide and i water bowl, but is up to you

jack mac

how come at any zoo, wildlife world reptile parks ect they always have 1 or more in the same enclosure?

at the wildlife world in sydney all of them had at least 2 of each they even had scubbys in with EWD

how come at any zoo, wildlife world reptile parks ect they always have 1 or more in the same enclosure?

at the wildlife world in sydney all of them had at least 2 of each they even had scubbys in with EWD
Yeah I was there with the kids today actually and noticed that. The RBBS were also in together. Is it because they are in such a large enclosure? Less chance of them annoying each other? They had about 3 or 4 in the bredli enclosure too.

My coastals have always been kept in pairs, never had any problems at all. Just keep an eye out for signs of stress and always separate for feeding :)

Well not to mention the issue of quarantine..

Just because they lay with each other does NOT mean they are happy living together, they could be competing for the best basking site, hide etc.

There is always the chance of cannibalism especially if there is a size difference, why bother risking it when there are numerous more pro's to housing seperately.

I have an atherton and a darwin in together at the moment (been together for 9 months). No probs so far. I went on advice given to me by two trusted people who are both employed in animal husbandry (one with a museum and one with a well known victorian zoo) and have kept herps for many years. Both snakes seem fine and always share the same hide regardless of where it is placed (several hides are on offer to them). I guess things can go wrong, but I have never seen it (at least, not with the same species) and both people who gave me advice claim they have never had a problem either. I find it hard to believe Melbourne Zoo, Healesville, etc. would put suitable snakes in the same enclosure if there was a consiberable risk of things going wrong.

I guess things can go awry, but it can happen with any two animals placed together. I also leave my two dogs home with each other despite the many cases of one dog killing another.

well IMO u can keep them together but u will have to feed them in a separate container and trust me u don't wanna know what can happen if u feed them together

I find it hard to believe Melbourne Zoo, Healesville, etc. would put suitable snakes in the same enclosure if there was a consiberable risk of things going wrong.

Just read in todays paper about one of the silverbacks at Melbourne attacking a Debrazza's monkey. Maybe now I find it a little less hard to believe.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back