hatchies in click clacks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...very entertaining..:lol:

when does a click clack become too big?

what is the max size for a click clack?

i have a 3 month old bredli hatchling (arrives later today from snake ranch) and purchased a dedicated plastic container for the snake from a pet shop.

dims: 42cm long x 28 cm wide by 17 cm high

it has a plastic mesh top with a groove at 1/3 length to install a partition with 2 lockable lids.

i have a dedicated rock hide and a heat mat and will getting the breeders choice recycled paper litter as substrate.

is this container classed as a click clack?

is this container too big?

if there is a direct link between snake stress and large enclosures, will this snake be stressed in this this specific enclosure (excluding all other potentital stress raisers)?

Cameron.

is it only adised that pythons be kept in aclickclacks? or do people advise turtles and lizards to be kept in click clacks?

from reading the first 2 pages (I thinkthats what I read), click clacks are used for convinience in price and space taken up and making sure that the possobility of it being stressed from "too much space" is not there.

Will

Cameron, if you read the threads from the people who recommend the use of the click clacks you should be able to glean aht they are trying to achieve by using them. Firstl, you want you snake to feel secure in its environment. In a click clack where it can't see its surroundings there is a good change it will feel this inside it's hid or out of it. So, from yoru point of view, is you tub clear or opaque. If it is clear plastic then it will not really make any difference what size it is. The snake would only feel secure in it's hide. If it is opaque then he should be fine inside but not if the mesh lid makes him feel exposed.

The second issue was that your snake, if it is in a large area (or thinks that it is, will spend a lot of its time in a hide. If that hide does not give the snake enough warmth to digest food then it will not eat. The people keeping their hatchies in large cages with lots of hides have clearly got istuations where the hides being used by the hatchies are still keeping them warm. Be careful however about still providing a gradient so that your animal can cool itself itf it needsd to. Make sure you dont put a hide directly on top of a heat mat for instance or you might cook your animal.

Hope this helps.

And Willia, you dont need to do it for turtles and lizards but you do need to provide hatchy turtles with hides and we ususally do this with plants in the water. I also find that if you dont give baby water dragons good hiding spots they will also stress. Not sure if beardies suffer the same issue though.

Thanks.

Disregarding colour/opaquness of plastic - Can anyone confirm if the size of my snake container with dims: 42cm long x 28 cm wide by 17 cm high - still OK for a hatchling?

Thank you

Cameron.

If you have the divider in I would say that's ok. I got my girl at 6 months, and she was in a 52 litre click clack tub, about 50cmx30cmx25cm.

Thanks Dragons.

Do you imply that this container is too large for the bredli?

The divider separates the whole container - so that one section is 27 cm long and the other is 15 cm.

Cameron

You could always leave it as it is but with a few hides, and if the snake hides all the time you could put the divider in to make it more cosy for it.

Mine had a hide at each end plus a couple of toilet paper rolls on the floor. I also have two branches for her to climb. Looking at it, it may look crowded. But maybe that's why she feels so comfortable there. She crawls through the toilet paper rolls all the time, not to hide in necessarily, but I reckon to play with. She sits in her branches in the afternoon and most nights, so I highly recomend having a branch or two.

Many thanks Dragons...

What do I do with the mesh roof?

Would th esnake feel vulnerable with this mesh setup ?

Cam

...very entertaining..:lol:

when does a click clack become too big?

what is the max size for a click clack?

i have a 3 month old bredli hatchling (arrives later today from snake ranch) and purchased a dedicated plastic container for the snake from a pet shop.

dims: 42cm long x 28 cm wide by 17 cm high

it has a plastic mesh top with a groove at 1/3 length to install a partition with 2 lockable lids.

i have a dedicated rock hide and a heat mat and will getting the breeders choice recycled paper litter as substrate.

is this container classed as a click clack?

is this container too big?

if there is a direct link between snake stress and large enclosures, will this snake be stressed in this this specific enclosure (excluding all other potentital stress raisers)?

Cameron.

My bredli came yesterday bout 2.30 also and i jus put it in a 18L click clack with a few hides and some dowel to climb on and it seems just fine .

Profesional breeders go from clickclacks to tubs that arent much bigger . l have designed a new system of 100 mm plastic drainage pipes . Just cut to the length of snake and put mesh cap on the end . You can stack hundreds of these and just drop a rat in the head end , hosing out once a week for hygene .

i've had a lot of trouble with click clacks and my snake getting out so, i'd say espically with hachies get a good one and keep a close eye of the condition of the box =]

Many thanks people.

Our new pet appears calm and loves being perched on her log.

Our container seems fine.

After you include drink bowl, 2 x hids and substrate - hardly any room exists.

THe game begins - for me anyway...

Cameron

im all knew to the reptile theme but i heard a really good idea, why not put the click clack in the larger tank with a hole cut in the lid of the click clack that way it will give the snake the choice to adventure outside or retreat back to the click clack if need be.

im all knew to the reptile theme but i heard a really good idea, why not put the click clack in the larger tank with a hole cut in the lid of the click clack that way it will give the snake the choice to adventure outside or retreat back to the click clack if need be.

because it will leave the click clack, find a cold spot and never return or eat again ........hatchling pythons need to be given less choices of temperature to be at, they will choose a cold hide over thermoregulation every time. They NEED a good ambient temperature or they won't eat, once they have settled in and are used to being captive they will thermoregulate better.

great thread!

this is seems to be a controversial issue, and it's nice to see both sides of the argument.

sounds to me like click clacks work for lots of people, but others have a preference for a small enclosure from the start - to upgrade to a lager one when the snake gets bigger - i guess depends on what kind of snake/how big they get.
they both sound like viable options that have worked for people.

for me, when i get my first snake i think, just going on what i've read so far - i need to do more reading! that i'll go the click clack route, but get all the trimmings (heat pads - whatever else i need to read and regulate the temp) so that i can transfer them to the enclosure when the snake gets big enough.

there wasn't much discussion about whether or not the clear plastic could make the snake feel too exposed? could that happen? could you just cover the top and 3 sides to solve that problem, or is there no real need?

i live in brisbane and i'm looking to eventually get a stimson's (i think!), any advice for what works best in brisbane climate? and whether to make my own (i noticed a great thread with instructions to make a neat looking click clack with a biggish tupperware container) or are the store bought ones better?

thanks!

i find them easier to clean
cheaper to heat
very secure
and when you have alot of hatchos'
very practicle
but for one hatcho,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well ,
i guess if you want to have a huge enclosure and a tiny python
then thats fine
sort of like having a 6ft fish tank and putting a guppy in it.
it looks empty .

each to their own. atm I have two spotted hatcj-hies and it's the first time I have used click clacks and I think they are awesome. I am a carpenter so making new enclosures is not an issue but it seems to suit them perfectly so why bother?

each to their own. atm I have two spotted hatcj-hies and it's the first time I have used click clacks and I think they are awesome. I am a carpenter so making new enclosures is not an issue but it seems to suit them perfectly so why bother?

Posting while drinking is dangerous. Please excuse bad grammar and spelling. :shock:

I have a store bought container with clear / tinted plastic with heaps of ventialtion (top and sides).

I have enough hides in there to make it feel very cosy and not too large at all.

The snake always stays perched on top of it's log - never in it's hide and it has been 48 hours.

I am having trouble regualting the heat however - and need to re-think my strategy.

Cameron

I have a store bought container with clear / tinted plastic with heaps of ventialtion (top and sides).

I have enough hides in there to make it feel very cosy and not too large at all.

The snake always stays perched on top of it's log - never in it's hide and it has been 48 hours.

I am having trouble regualting the heat however - and need to re-think my strategy.

Cameron

Are you using a thermostadt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back