hatchies in click clacks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so far, conveinience and security are the only reasons for click clacks. Any of you EXPERTS care to share your opinions:)

Would you consider Dr Robert Johnson (www.reptilevet.com.au) an expert? If not then I guess his opinion is worth nothing. But if you do value it then you may accpet his comments that the most common reason he gets snakes to his surgery is because of stress caused to young snakes by them being kept in enclosures that are too large.

If someone told you that they drove home from the pub every friday night drunk and had never had an accident would you accept that drink driving is not dangerous?

By all means if you are an experienced keeper and find no trouble in doing this then continue doing what you have always done. (not drink driving, keeping hatchies in big enclosures) But please remember that the next person that comes along and buys their first snake will put it in a 4 foot enclosure and want to keep playing with it if they keep reading on forums that it is OK to do so. This will keep Rob Johnson wealthy but will do no good for the snake at all.

as long as the snake has got plenty of hides there is no probs but there are other factors for stress to much handling etc etc :D its a big world out there not many plastic tubs in the wild

Easy to heat smaller tubs than larger ones, some hatchy snakes are hard to get eating a somewhat un-natural first food item like a pinky mouse, and sub standard temps don't help, thus more success in a smaller enclosure, also plastic is much better at holding heat than glass... though, it of couse depends on the snake, diamonds eat at a much colder temp than say a childrens, you can keep and feed diamonds in nothing more than a warm room, though picky ones may do better with some extra heat initially, and of course it all depends on where you live, places with a natural 30 degree ambient for 90 % of the year will be much easier to get something eating than those with 15 degree days in winter. Put a hatchy childrens in a large glass tank in a colder climate and see if it eats, it will head straight under a water bowl in the cool end and not come back out untill you pull out it's skeleton 2 years later.

Easy to heat smaller tubs than larger ones, some hatchy snakes are hard to get eating a somewhat un-natural first food item like a pinky mouse, and sub standard temps don't help, thus more success in a smaller enclosure, also plastic is much better at holding heat than glass... though, it of couse depends on the snake, diamonds eat at a much colder temp than say a childrens, you can keep and feed diamonds in nothing more than a warm room, though picky ones may do better with some extra heat initially, and of course it all depends on where you live, places with a natural 30 degree ambient for 90 % of the year will be much easier to get something eating than those with 15 degree days in winter. Put a hatchy childrens in a large glass tank in a colder climate and see if it eats, it will head straight under a water bowl in the cool end and not come back out untill you pull out it's skeleton 2 years later.
you seam to be all over the place on that one

as long as the snake has got plenty of hides there is no probs but there are other factors for stress to much handling etc etc :D its a big world out there not many plastic tubs in the wild

Can you show some pics of how you have setup large enclosures to house hatchlings?

re hatchies

Yeh that makes sense jason but the little plastic clik claks are cheap and nasty,better to have a dirty big cage for hatchlings thats like texas,it helps the economy by supporting petshops,get the little doer to put carpet in there wouldnt do any harm either espescially green,fancy water bowl,filthy expensive thermostat,artificial logs and 250 Watt heat lamp to heat the sucker,kevin 07 reccomends this :)

you seam to be all over the place on that one

in which way? In short, Some hatchlings can be raised in large enclosures but there are alot of variables, and it's those variables that will help newbies kill their snakes, smaller plastic enclosures help reduce variables and breeders highly recommend the use of click clacks as they don't want 80% of the people who buy snakes off them ring up wanting another one or their money back due to the fact that about 80% of the people who buy snakes off them have little to no idea about the compexities of heating issues.

so far, conveinience and security are the only reasons for click clacks. Any of you EXPERTS care to share your opinions:)

Before you ooze your smugness all over the floor there...

Security and safety of your animals, ease of cleaning, affordability of housing - these all seem like pretty solid, valid reasons for choosing a click clack for hatchies.

its a big world out there not many plastic tubs in the wild

Not many glass-fronted melamine boxes with toilet rolls, lightbulb boxes and regulated heating either :rolleyes:. Lots of hollow branches, caves, rock crevices and fallen logs though.

X is an unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure . For myself l use clickclacks for the first few months till l sort out what l am keeping . l put them in big enclosures in their plastic tubs for heat untill a big enclosure becomes available . As for feeding better in a tub , if they cant move away from the pinkie there is more chance of eating it .

Security and safety of your animals, ease of cleaning, affordability of housing - these all seem like pretty solid, valid reasons for choosing a click clack for hatchies.

Not many glass-fronted melamine boxes with toilet rolls, lightbulb boxes and regulated heating either :rolleyes:. Lots of hollow branches, caves, rock crevices and fallen logs though.
think about whats in the wild its so easy you got the idea that ya use fake grass 1 water bowl 1 hide thats not how ya do it

think about whats in the wild its so easy you got the idea that ya use fake grass 1 water bowl 1 hide thats not how ya do it

huh??? I have no idea what you are trying to say there - some punctuation might help!

My point was that there may not be plastic tubs in the wild, but there are many small, enclosed spaces that hatchies use to hide which are replicated by a small click clack.

damn, didnt know I was supposed to replicating the wild.... I had never thought of that Elapid66, I must admit, my methods are well of the mark.... just tried to cram a Kookaburra and a few lacies into my click clack, for the real feel of predation.... all the pinkies I have been wasting, instead of letting it ambush whatever comes within reach naturally.... i have really made a mockery of what I should have been doing.

I promise I will sort it out now though.... move my hatchies into larger cages and dig out some matches, it is bushfire season after all...

huh??? I have no idea what you are trying to say there - some punctuation might help!

My point was that there may not be plastic tubs in the wild, but there are many small, enclosed spaces that hatchies use to hide which are replicated by a small click clack.
use your imagination and copy whats in the wild simple :D

damn, didnt know I was supposed to replicating the wild.... I had never thought of that Elapid66, I must admit, my methods are well of the mark.... just tried to cram a Kookaburra and a few lacies into my click clack, for the real feel of predation.... all the pinkies I have been wasting, instead of letting it ambush whatever comes within reach naturally.... i have really made a mockery of what I should have been doing.

I promise I will sort it out now though.... move my hatchies into larger cages and dig out some matches, it is bushfire season after all...
if you say so bro;)

ROFL that got me in a good mood :lol:

just putting this out there. but do hatchies really need to be in click clacks, or yearlings. I know it STRESSES THE SNAKE OUT, but is there any proof of this. I've had hatchies in 1m cages and i've never had a drama. i just put more hides in.

I believe larger cages can and does stress the snake out. You put a tiny little hatchling in a 1m cage how can you get them eating regularly if they have so much cool area compared to the warm end. They would forever hide because they are too scared to come out.

I put my 4ft carpet python in a 3.5x2x2.5 enclosure but it scared him. He curled himself in the tighest ball behind his hide and just would not come out. Before this he was a curious fellow, always popping his head of his hide to see if I had food. Never again after this enclosure. I downsized him back into something smaller but he was timid after that, duck for cover everytime he saw someone.

Classic APS thread yet again :D

Click-clacks for me - get two to a heat mat, small and easy to maintain.

yeah. they are good reasons. but wheres the proof that a large enclosure stresses a hatchie out. affordability, ease of cleaning, etc all sound like a conveinience thing to me

those small, enclosed spaces that hatchies like to hide in, would be better replicated in a large enclosure with more hides in it. dont you think. I have'nt heard of a wild hatchie spending its time in a 1x1ft space for 12 months. i could be wrong though:)

I believe larger cages can and does stress the snake out. You put a tiny little hatchling in a 1m cage how can you get them eating regularly if they have so much cool area compared to the warm end. They would forever hide because they are too scared to come out.

I put my 4ft carpet python in a 3.5x2x2.5 enclosure but it scared him. He curled himself in the tighest ball behind his hide and just would not come out. Before this he was a curious fellow, always popping his head of his hide to see if I had food. Never again after this enclosure. I downsized him back into something smaller but he was timid after that, duck for cover everytime he saw someone.
without sounding SMUG, like someone else said, my hatchies dont hide at all. they are active and always take a feed. I feed them out of the cage by the way. I've got jungles if that makes a difference, but i cant see that it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back