Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in that case it most definately is NOT a cheynei. You are way out of their range. Varigata are not just found in Darwin. They range over the top of Australia and are found on the Western side of Cape York, and only a short distance from where the drive occurred.

I would agree with previous comments that it was infact a north western carpet. You just found a easterly range extension. You were far closer to varigata range then to cheynei range. Stunning animal. Nicer than any I have ever seen in the wild

Blow the pic up

when you blow the 4th photo up it doesn't leave much doubt as to what it is [imo]...n.w. Carpet ..slightly out of bounds......solar 17 [baden]....AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE AT THAT..

Last edited by a moderator:
That Jungle/Darwin/Northwestern (fight you b@st@rds LOL) is amazing! I totally have to have one now!

I don't mean to hijack but can someone tell me where I could find a hatchy that will grow up to have stunning colouration & contrast like that? I think I have found the species I want as a first snake! Please PM me!

screw the crapet that tree gecko is magnificent !!!!!!!!!

Well in that case it most definately is NOT a cheynei. You are way out of their range. Varigata are not just found in Darwin. They range over the top of Australia and are found on the Western side of Cape York, and only a short distance from where the drive occurred.

I would agree with previous comments that it was infact a north western carpet. You just found a easterly range extension. You were far closer to varigata range then to cheynei range. Stunning animal. Nicer than any I have ever seen in the wild

I dunno mate, i'm gonna call you out on this one. Darwins are not found on the Cape.

You know as well as i do that aberrant individuals of any morelia sub species pop up regularly and imo that is what this one most likely is. There are of course other explanations as to what this one is, such as an escaped pet, but i think that this one being a retarded jungle is the best.

But of course all animals tend not to read the text books and are often found in areas where they shouldn't be, in which case you should all disregard anything i have said. And just to add to the disillusionment, i think that carpets are what i would call a circular species. What that means is that this species slowly changes though out its range so that each individual is almost identical to one found 50km away, but then if you compare one from either end of their geographical range they are completely different.

I'm sticking to cape york. just because of its very noticable bold cream markings which is distinct from other coastals or jungles.

I'm sticking with cape york just because of those very distinct bold cream markings that are shown in the cape york's and not the normal carpets or jungles.

cape yorks also come a various range of background colours and the ones in the wild are far more supirer then the captive bred animals.

appolagies for my spelling.

bloody hell thats wiered I posted them waruikazi's last post on 10th may I don't know whats going on isn't it the 9th?

I'm with you waruikazi, if you look at the pic taken from the top and look closely at the head pattern it is very well defined much like a cheynei, IMO variegata have more smudged head pattern with a lot less contrast than cheynei...

I dunno mate, i'm gonna call you out on this one. Darwins are not found on the Cape.

You know as well as i do that aberrant individuals of any morelia sub species pop up regularly and imo that is what this one most likely is. There are of course other explanations as to what this one is, such as an escaped pet, but i think that this one being a retarded jungle is the best.

But of course all animals tend not to read the text books and are often found in areas where they shouldn't be, in which case you should all disregard anything i have said. And just to add to the disillusionment, i think that carpets are what i would call a circular species. What that means is that this species slowly changes though out its range so that each individual is almost identical to one found 50km away, but then if you compare one from either end of their geographical range they are completely different.

I'm with you waruikazi, if you look at the pic taken from the top and look closely at the head pattern it is very well defined much like a cheynei, IMO variegata have more smudged head pattern with a lot less contrast than cheynei...

I have seen darwins with a very strong head pattern but not with that patterning, well noticed.

So what now? Intergrade?

Yes that is a distincct possibility.

The snake pictured is typical of most CYP carpet pythons. These animals most often resemble what is popularly termed an Irian Jayan morph. On the Australian mainland these snakes most closely resemble the 'northwestern' or 'Darwin' Carpets, however this is just a name given to the animals by the captive pet community and has little sway on what the snakes really are. The northern Australian snakes have had the gene pool 'reinforced' by the lastest radiation of animals from New Guinea and therefore they all have similar features. ''Most'' Carpets are merely just a variation on a theme and this holds particularly true for northern Australian animals.

It is pointless to say 'north-western', 'Darwin' or ' Cape York' unless you are talking about specific locality. This animal is just a northern Austrlian Carpet from CYP - same species as the 'Darwin' Carpet, merely a different variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back