Heating for shingleback and beardie enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
Hey I've built my shinglebacks and beardie an enclosure, it's wooden with a glass front and is 5ft L 4ft W 3ft H and it's outside the backdoor under the awning.
What I would like to know is what heating would be best. I was either going to have:
1) A clear heat lamp in a dome during the day and either a moon light lamp and or heatmat/heatcord during the night.
2) Have a red heat/moon light lamp in a dome on day and night.

Either way will have a fluro tube. Also would either of these ways need a themo, I thought I probably wouldn't because the size of the enclosure.

pretty tall tank for lizards considering they need to get within 8 inches ofo the uvb light,...

i'd go with option 1, beardies do better in a well lit tank, i expect being dinural the shingles would also prefer it well lit,...

make sure u keep an eye on the sun as seasons change to make sure the tank doesnt get direct sun and cook them.

Do they need to get within 8 inches of the UV light? but even in a 2 ft enclosure they wouldn't be able to get that close. Would I need a thermostat or is the enclosure big enough to go without one?

thanks

for maximum benefit its 8 inches, for any benefit no more than 12 inches,...

i build ramps and stuff to get them within range,...

i hope there not in together, i have a dragon who had many broken and mangled ribs from a shingleback skink :(

Hey Chris
No more than 12 inches?, that's not good. It will have rock walls and ledges in there though and I could put a OZ bright lamp in there if I need to.

Hey Kirby
I've had them together for a while and they're fine, I haven't had any problems. I hope your dragons fine now.

Do yous know if I would need a thermostat in there?

tanks big enough, should be right without a thermostat, then again thermostats are still good for maintaining the perfect basking temps if u cant be bothered working out what light combos work best,...

yeah, the UVB tubes dont reach very far, MVBs go further than flouros,...

get a flexarium and put all ur lizards in it for a few hours a few times a week, that will fulfill their UVB needs,....i only use tubes when raising youngens, the rest is done by the sun,...they spend about 4 hours a day on weekends sunning, weather permitting ofcourse,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back