Convincing my mum about click clacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Khagan:
You have a very good point, plus I really want to get a hatchy casue you can work on their temperment and know the snake more.

Lesa:
you are right in a way that my parents don't want a snake and i have to respect that, but at the same time they have to thank the heavens that im not a child that spends 100 of dollars on shoes and wears inch's of makeup. I don't ask much from them, only a home to live in and somthing to eat and a place away from them to put my animals. I rarely ask anything from them, so i think that they should also respect that i would like to have a snake. In return for putting up with their dreadful habits and life style i think letting me have a snake is a fine way to make it up to me :)

How old are you? Perhaps you can get a job? Or ask your parents, friends and family about doing jobs for them, to raise the money and/or earn it - if that is what they are mostly worried about. Its ok for kids to say, "I'll look after it" but they don't understand the money that goes into something like that. And they don't understand that Mum and/or dad works damn hard every day to keep you happy, and I am sure they hurt as much as you, when they can't give you something that you want. I can bet they try not to show it, but they do.

As for the click clacks, or worried about having "A SNAKE" in the house, ask them to go with you to a herp meeting. They are educational and social. Learn what the REAL snakes habits are, and not what grandma brought up your parents to believe that snakes are dangerous.

BUT, if you have to wait till you leave home, it won't be the end of the world. My parents wouldn't let me. My EX wouldn't let me but now I have them and don't care about those yearning years.

mysnakeau:
Im 12 and turning 13 in july, i've already got a job, i work for my parents as a advertiser manager :) Takeing my mum to a reptile meeting is not an option, she wont go :) I've taken them to the reptile store 1000's of times, i've tried educating them, eg: reading to them about snakes, slipping in quicks snake facts on the way to school, i've proven to them that im capable of handling a snake becasue i look after the one that lives at our school. I've tried everthing i could think of, i know eventually if i pyshically have the animal eventually they will grow to like it, as they did with my lizards.

maybe say i want a python instead of a snake. when you say snake they think king brown, venomous but if you say python they think big, man-eating.(not true:D) just a thought. although i tried it and it so didnt work!

Open letter to Aussiebluetongue's Mum

Dear Aussiebluetongues's Mum
Your daughter has exactly the right idea whe she tells you that young snakes should be kept in a "click clack" container. Young snakes do not need to be kept in larger enclosures, it can be intimidating for them as they spend a lot of their time hiding away in compact spaces. Click clacks are easy and relatively very inexpensive to set up correctly. I am an adult (Old Fart actually, 58 yrs old) and had exactly the opposite problem a few years ago when my children did not want me to keep a snake. I managed to talk them around and now, as adults, they love the snakes as much as I do. I think it is good that your daughter wants to keep a snake and hope that you may reconsider letting her have one. Of course you can insist that she takes total care of it and you will have nothing to do with it if you so choose. You can make sure that she does not get a species that grows large as an adult. I believe that you may come round after a while and view them without the problems you have with them now. You may even get to like them!! Who knows?
Cheers,
Paul.

Hey it's Devastatia Spunkywinkerbean's daughter. I've read your message and everyone elses, and what I've heard so far I personally think your being to hard on your parents!!! or maybe you've got possesive phyco evil parents :evil:
or maybe thats just the way I think !!LOL!!!!it takes time to get used to somthing your not to sure about and once they see your point they will have no problem loving the cute little things(maybe). Like my mum says about my grandma hating the idea of having a snake now she loves him.!!!!! If you want a snake real bad start by helping your parents with little things around the house and get on there good side. Go knocking at shops asking if they will give you a job (by the way its hard work and very tiring ) but in the long run it would be better than working for your parents. you dont just ou buy the snake and the habatat or the click clacks what ever there in, you also have to put money torwards the food each week (and the mouse or rat will cost more when they grow)and if it ever gets sick the vet fees plus you cant just get sick of it and leave it alone all the time they get cranky really cranky. It takes alot to think about and think do you really want to warm up a frozen dead baby mouse with a hair dryer and then poke it in the head till it blood starts drizzling out !!YUM!! !!!!LOL!!!! are you willing to do that once a week or will you desert it and starve it to death! Think about this and the cost of food and the tank and the accesories and think do you really want it that bad. write back and let me know.:)
see you
Devastatia

If i was having the same problems as you were i wouldnt be going behind their backs and hiding it in the cupvoard or your room. save your wages each week and calculate exactly how much your click clack setup will be. put the oney in an envelope in your drawer. then work out how much its adult cage will be, do the same and save the money you will need and put it in a seperate envelope and stash in your drawers. then finally save the pennies for the snake.

if you are earning $100 a week you should have enough money in the next 3 months to cover all costs of enclosures and the snake. once you have this money, approach your parents. show them you have been saving and are financially able to take responsibility of all aspects of keeping this snake. this will show them you are serious, and dedicated enough to take on the ownership of another animal.

i think your parents will respect you for this. my parents were always accepting of my animals, but this was because they knew i was responsible. i was a geek at school, i saved my pennies. i had a stable job when i was legally old enough to work. all my money went to my animals.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

also, just remember. the actions you take on this will affect their decisions on your future requests!

Hey,

Maybe try compromising, and doing both... Let her buy a proper vivarium/enclosure, but put a click clack inside it with the snake inside... This way you can just release the snake into the enclosure when it gets bigger, and you can make your Mum feel more relaxed by telling her that the snake is then shut inside 2 enclosures instead of 1...
Good luck

they do need to be in a click clack. ;)

I'm not sure about they NEED to be in a click clack.. i put my small stimmie and my hatchling carpet both straight into big enclosures.. they feed fine no signs of stress enjoy roaming around etc.. I just made sure i had alot of plants and hides in there.. but my carpet hasn't hidden once hes always out basking on some branches or leaves.

Bit like you i wanted to put my carpet into a click clack wheras my mum wanted a bigger enclosure.. i ended up going with mums idea but with a click- clack on stand by!

Hi all,
I've made my decision on what i am going to do. I've decided firstly that im NOT going to hide the snake from my parents, and tell them up front that i am going to buy my self a snake for my birthday and simply tell them that i will be living in the rumpus room, and i'll afford everything. If they say no, then i'll try and find many ways to convince them, like taking up more responsobility, doing better at my school work ect. And im going to save every dollar i get until i can afford everthing for my snake :) what do you think?

We can't choose who are parents are, i was unlucky enough to be stranded with the animal haters, exspecially reptile :)

Good idea.

I agree with Laura, they don't NEED clickclacks. I know that my bredli will be going into an enclosure soon, and when I get around to it the jungle will follow.

I like the put the clickclack in the enclosure idea, just say :

"Mum I'm putting it in a clickclack in an enclosure, so it will be locked up by 2 enclosures AND it can be released into the proper enclosure when it's big enough!"

As for her letting the snake out, get a lock for the enclosure and hide the key somewhere she won't be able to find it!

I would say if you added lots of hides and tried not to stress the snake out too much it would do good in an enclosure, make sure it cannot get out between cracks or holes though.

YOU ARE ALL FORGETTING ONE THING .......this is your mum and dads house so whilst living there RESPECT the wishes as tuff and unfair as it may seem to you ..its a bit of a tuff tities situation ..if you cant bend her on keeping a snake ,be happy that your still allowed a species of reptile being your lizards and dote on them untill either your mum allows you to get one or MOVE OUT OF HOME....geez kids how would you like it if your parents came over to your place and tried to enforce their ideas on you in your home .....

hey I agree with redbellybite on this one
while your under there roof you have to remember that it is their choice as well.
It is fustrating me that you would be willing to go against your parents will. :x
I am not saying your parents are perfect or anything like that I am just saying that live with the choice they have made and when your old enough to move out then move out but until then respect their wishes. They may not be comfortable living with a snake in there house
bye
devastatia

P.S you wont win your parents respect:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back