very new to reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kafren

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, i'm new to this forum and to reptile keeping I havent even picked up my first snake yet, its all still in the works. I'm really interested in any tips or advise, i think i have done all the reading i can. something i really need to know is can i use raw pine as an enclosure?? I cant seem to get an answer on this. Thanks :D

I wouldnt use un sealed wood in an enclosure as it can absorb any mess and smells. Just get a clear estapol and seal it. However you may need days or weeks for the smell of the estapol to diapear

welcome aboard....I'm relatively new too. This is a great site for fun and information. I have a 16 month old stimsons python named Barrie, he's gorgeous. He's my first reptile and I've had him for 4 months. I chose a Stimmie because they don't grow to big and are generally very placid. Barrie is a real sook. :) There's lots of advice out there, everyone has their own ideas on what is best, you just have to filter it to what you think suits you, it will depend a lot on what animal you get. Take things slowly, relax and enjoy yourself.

Cheers, Annie

hello and welcome kafren. im sure you will find this site to provide plenty of information for yourself through most things you will encounter. As stated by untouchables i would stay away from an un sealed materials to houses reptiles, due to the fact of the material being able to absorb any mess and smells. doesnt take much to seal it, just make sure you have given it time to all air out and all good for a reptile to move on in.. Cheers and have fun

Thanks heaps, ive changed my mind about 8 times on what python to get, and have finally decided on a spotted, it seems to be a popular choice for a first snake. Its all very daunting ive read so much and there are so many different opinions on everything, i'll let yous all know how it goes anyway, i'm very excited ive wanted this for ages and i'm finally getting there. : )

I have 2 spotteds. one thing i will say is check that your set up is ok, then check it again. They love there 32-33s

raw pine is fine for an enclosure, as already said sealing it is the best option but honestly i dont think it will matter a great deal. if it was mdf then thats a different story. welcome to the site, there is a great amount of information here, and some very experienced keepers that are more than happy to help, you will see who they are easily enough :) antaresia are a great species, and definitely a good choice to begin with.

I'm hoping to have mine in about a month i'll have my license in about 2 weeks. its so good to talk to people who actually like snakes, i get all excited when i tell people and they just scew up their faces at me like i'm a weirdo, alot of my friends have already told me their not coming over anymore. geez its just a snake its amazing how many people think it will KILL YOU! LOL.

Welcome, my only pearl of wisdom is get your cage all squared away first, ensure it's escape proof as they will test that every chance they can get. Most importantly get your temps and a good gradient right and your on your way to a happy python. When you get around to buying, i prefer to source my animals from the breeder then a pet store. You can usually see the parents, the setups they have and most importantly make sure you get a good feeder. Any good breeder will feed in front of you to 1 show you its feeding response and two the size of food it has been regularly feeding. And will be more than happy to answer any of your question.

Good luck and remember you can't stop at one once you get bit by the bug......

Kafren, I have the same trouble, heaps of people I know say they won't visit me, or they think I'm crazy. But I find it a good opportunity to educate people on the lovely creatures snakes are.....even if we just change one persons opinion of snakes, then it's worth it. Many people say....the only good snake is a dead snake...it breaks my heart when I hear that.....

welcome kafren to the site it will be very useful when you do actually get your snake, i gotta warn you tho i can amit im sure alot people will agree reptiles are addictive it starts off with 1 then u want another type and another then u want partners for those guys to breed them lol non stop cycle newayz have fun with ur spotted when u get him/her i started with a blonde mac myself bout 2 yrz ago and now have 6 snakes lol

Thanks i actually started to think this was a bad idea because no one i know shares my interest and you like to talk about the things you love. i'm extremely happy i found this site, and don't worry ive already started thinking about what i'll get next : )

Hi kafren and welcome. I am a newbie as well. There is heapsof info on here and everyone is friendly. Enjoy :)

welcome and i would try the search function in the middle of the screen goodluck and seal timber for sure in my oppinion

I'm hoping to have mine in about a month i'll have my license in about 2 weeks. its so good to talk to people who actually like snakes, i get all excited when i tell people and they just scew up their faces at me like i'm a weirdo, alot of my friends have already told me their not coming over anymore. geez its just a snake its amazing how many people think it will KILL YOU! LOL.

welcome kafren...at least in here you'll be surrounded by weirdos so you wont feel left out....hehehehe.....weirdo reptile lovers unite, we will rule the world...good luck with your choice....ill just reinforce- get from breeder instead of petshop and make sure your enclosure is set up right,heating top priority and snakes have a habit of getting loose, make sure all possible escape holes are secure and dont use sticky tape...lol, i hate reading sticky tape vs snake threads...all the best....and we are all pics addicts so get some up asap

Hey
Welcome to APS
Interested in a Spotted aye?
i got one for my first snake a few years ago, they do make great starter pythons, very placid.
Just so you know its hard to stop at one haha

i just picked up a Bredli on Sunday which is my second snake but 5th reptile

Good luck and i hope it all goes well!

Camo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back