My first snake!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzarella

Reaction score
Im very excited, I have been umming and aghhing for months over getting one, finally have made up my mind. The local pet shop has stimsons hatchlings. So my licence application is faxed and waiting waiting waiting! Any hints? Im a bit scared over heating etc. The pet shop guy tol me I need a heating mat and a uv light with a timer. Also he told me not to buy an enclosure, just a plastic box while its a baby. Can I handle it a lot? I want to friendly it up so to speak, my partner tells me Im dreaming.:lol:

...dont worry guys, I have a pretty good idea of how to care for a little herp, just very scared, I would hate to hurt the little blighter!

Glad more WA people are getting into retiles.

Snakes dont need UV, but if you still want to give it UV you can.
Just get a 15watt heat cord as that will give you the right temp you need for the stimmos.
Make sure the click clack container has wholes in it (not big enough for the snake to get out of).
Let it settle in for a week before holding or feeding.

I agree 110% with what Niall says. I have a 16 month old Stimmie, he's totally adorable. I only handle "Barrie" about once a week, but let your baby settle for a week or two before you handle him and then just start off slow and only do it for a couple of minutes each time to start with. If you do everything to do with your snake slowly and gently, then you'll be just fine. Barrie is the first reptile I've ever had and have only had him 4 months, and I'm still totally over the moon about him.

Good luck and have great fun. Cheers, Annie :)

i would get a heat mat and a thermostat,i wouldnt trust just a heat cord on its own,even a 15w can get the temps way over necessary,no uv needed,and you can handle it as much as you like,its yours but i handle each of mine about twice a week for 20 mins or so at a time,they can stop eating from overhandling

I would definatly get a Thermostat to run as it is to risky running mats/cords on there own. The risk of them overheating is to great. As for Uv it is a debated topic ecspecially with diamond pythons.
But in my opinion for enclosures i have them, they not only create a day/night cycle but they are also good for asthetic reasons: eventuly when the snake is in a larger enclosure the light brightens it up, making it look nice, but it also increases ease of maintainace and Husbandry.

Yeah I agree with the UV issue. I have 2 bredli's, but I found over summer when we spent more time outside my girl seemed to be a lot brighter red in colour. Now with winter it's too wet and miserable to go outside on a regular basis, she's still a beautiful colour but the brightness is just not there as much as it was. So I would say depending on the snake it can be beneficial to make their colour a bit better, but not medically required (except Diamonds).

I have UV on my new Bredli
he also has a heat mat for night time warmth but prefers to spend all day under the UV bulb

Buy a snake from a private breeder imo pet shops are too overpriced + they dont really take much care in the husbandary of the snakes click clack heat mat and thermo will set u right :)

hey i'm a newbie too i havent got my snake yet, but i'm getting the full size enclosure outright. that way you have it and dont have to worry, i'm finding the enclosure is the biggest expense in this whole thing anyway.

hey i'm a newbie too i havent got my snake yet, but i'm getting the full size enclosure outright. that way you have it and dont have to worry, i'm finding the enclosure is the biggest expense in this whole thing anyway.
thats what i did with my first snake up i found she became streessed with my new coast she chills in he click clack

i agree, when purchasing a new "snake enclosure" they can be rather pricey... But there are other ways out of it... If you are able to use a drill and a screwdriver, then pop into your local second hand shop and you will find alot of cupboards, wardrobes and other items which with a lil bit of work will make fantastic herp homes.

yeh i was thinking about keeping it in a click clack to start as i heard thats a good idea if they're small but i also heard a large tank is fine as long as they have plenty of little hides so they feel secure. is this true??

Buy a snake from a private breeder imo pet shops are too overpriced + they dont really take much care in the husbandary of the snakes click clack heat mat and thermo will set u right :)
I totally agree with Jarden, petshops these days are much too over-priced when it comes to selling animals like snakes.

guys she is from WA, in WA you can only buy from petshops and there petshop prices are more than the petshop prices in other states.
goodluck mate.

Probably not a bad idea to buy a reasonable size enclosure but if heated by globes I would bypass the globes and put a strip of heat mat down. Keep the juvie in a click clack with a third of the click clack on the heat mat and two thirds off - creating a heat gradient in the click clack. Once the snake has out grown the click clack rewire the globes and off you go. The reason for doing this is because small snakes can become stressed / difficult feeders in large enclosures.

Wow thanks for all the response! LMAO Wa people get ripped sooo bad, I was looking at all the prices from dealers elsewhere, bugger! and the range is really limited, some of the pics on here look unreal!
What is a click clack ?
If I get a juvenile enclosure should I keep my little stimmy in a take away container like they do at the shop?
Also how do I get a gradiant in a little tank? The one Im looking at is prob only a foot and a half wide?

Probably not a bad idea to buy a reasonable size enclosure but if heated by globes I would bypass the globes and put a strip of heat mat down. Keep the juvie in a click clack with a third of the click clack on the heat mat and two thirds off - creating a heat gradient in the click clack. Once the snake has out grown the click clack rewire the globes and off you go. The reason for doing this is because small snakes can become stressed / difficult feeders in large enclosures.
bugger didnt see the second page :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back