My photo enhancement method

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnB

Reaction score
This is the method i have been using lately. So try it and let me know what you think...

[FONT=&quot]Start off by opening the image you want to retouch in Photoshop. I use tiff images as my version wont accept raw files.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Go through Layer>Duplicate Layer, a small window will pop up for you to choose a new name for your duplicated layer, click OK to proceed. From your Layers Panel, choose the recently duplicated layer and change its Blending Mode into Soft Light.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Go through Layer>Duplicate Layer once again and this time give the recently duplicated layer a Gaussian Blur by going through Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur set it at 10 px. From the Layers Panel, give the blurred layer an Overlay blending Mode and change its Opacity to 20%.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now this is what I do if I need to fix up the contrast.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the first layer, go through to Image>Adjustments>Curves. Then I put 2 marks on the line one near the top one near the bottom and just move them till I get what I am after.[/FONT]

I have included 2 different pics with before/after for you to check out. They have had no curve used on them.

Attachments

• Alma Park Zoo (57).jpg
    Alma Park Zoo (57).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Alma Park Zoo 1(57).jpg
    Alma Park Zoo 1(57).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1122b.jpg
    IMG_1122b.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 212
I gave it a go
works pretty good :)

Attachments

• unenhancedbredli.jpg
    unenhancedbredli.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 141
  • enhanced bredli.jpg
    enhanced bredli.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 158
You can normally get an add on for .raw files - for all versions of photoshop - and they're free.

Had a look mines v7 and to old. I use my raw software program now as i can send the file to PS without having to save first.

you need newer versions of photoshop for the new cameras, so only certain versions can work for the new cameras :) but they are free to download from adobe website as long as you have compatible software. and they pics look good! very interesting method, why do u use gaussian blur? what does it do to the photo?

if your shooting raw images with your digital camera....you should try Adobe Lightroom

Nice pictures, is the second one a male Eastern Water Dragon?

Holy crap i want that lemur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My attempt

This was my quick attempt, actually does anyone know what those orange spots are on my Platurus back ?

Attachments

• DSCF1614 photoshop  copy.jpg
    DSCF1614 photoshop copy.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 92
Processing Digital Images

Hi,

I put this together the other day after requests about digi image processing. There's so little information out there and, depending on what you want to do, it's very technically daunting. This is an attempt to summarise the basics with some assistance from a professional colleague who is also a wildlife photographer.
WildiariesHope it's of use.

Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back