Small Eyed Snake??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Found this little guy cruising around a mates patio in samford today....am i right in saying small eyed snake?? bit hard to tell from the pics maybe......glossy black, distinct head, pink underbelly.

Also, does anone know if they will play dead when threatened? A couple of times when I was moving it into a tub (with a small stick) it just stopped moving and went all limp and lay on its side for a bit and then would all of sudden start moving again. Also, when i tipped it out of the tub into some nearby long grass it just lay on the ground on its side for about 1 minute and then righted itself and took off. I was not rough in anyway with it so i dont think I would have injured it to cause it to act like this.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG00225-20091124-1514.jpg
    IMG00225-20091124-1514.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG00226-20091124-1516.jpg
    IMG00226-20091124-1516.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 388
thanks guys......the playing dead thing was a bit strange - maybe it wasn't playing dead and had something wrong with it......

would they knock you around a bit if you got bitten? have read that they are quite venomous....

thanks guys......the playing dead thing was a bit strange - maybe it wasn't playing dead and had something wrong with it......

would they knock you around a bit if you got bitten? have read that they are quite venomous....
There venom is very underrated. It will trash your kidneys.

People will get bitten, think there fine, then a week later die of kidney failure. It also causes muscle death/necrosis.

There venom is very underrated. It will trash your kidneys.

People will get bitten, think there fine, then a week later die of kidney failure. It also causes muscle death/necrosis.

thats bad.........thanks for clearing that up.

In my opinion there not the prittiest snakes, There Venom is kind of unpredictable and after awhile they start to become very annoying when finding herps especially if there the only thing you can find.
Thanks Tim.

I would much rather spend a night finding Small Eye's than putting in the km's to find zilch, although they're not my favourite snake, they are a snake. Always happy to see a snake no matter the species.

fusucs - thats an interesting website....a good read.

Thanks

Their claim to fame was that in 1965, a 20yo herper died from being bitten by one, he ignored the bite as he had been bitten by them before... he died 10 days later of kidney failure caused by myoglobulinaemia (oxygen storage molecule in your blood). This was the first time a snake bite had caused this in Australia...
Whilst many people have been bitten and they have cause nothing other than local effects, there are many that end up rather sick in hopital, and it can take months to recover and with this type of venom who knows if you will end up with permanent damage to your kidneys ect...

I would much rather spend a night finding Small Eye's than putting in the km's to find zilch, although they're not my favourite snake, they are a snake. Always happy to see a snake no matter the species.
I love your attitude. Im the same. Ive never seen a small eyed, but we do get a lot of certain things around this area. Recently we have seen hundreds of blotched blue tongues. Although it would be good to see more variety, at least we are seeing womething while we wait for the copperheads to surface!!!:)

I have had two of these turn up, both late at night.
They are pretty quick and agro. I try my best not to annoy them.

When I come across them I give them respect ..they can be bloody fiesty little buggers and not back down if they find your still there ..(after I tailed and wanted one to sit for a pic ..moved him into my headlight to get a good shot ..he had other ideas!!!!! ..so he went on his way and I was cracking up laughing at his crankiness and didnt even get a pic )

Agree, Agree, Agree, Agree

When I come across them I give them respect ..they can be bloody fiesty little buggers and not back down if they find your still there ..(after I tailed and wanted one to sit for a pic ..moved him into my headlight to get a good shot ..he had other ideas!!!!! ..so he went on his way and I was cracking up laughing at his crankiness and didnt even get a pic )
I've seen about 60 of them, photographed many and found them to be nothing but pussy cats. Maybe they are waiting for me to drop my guard:shock:

Maybe I just got a moody one ..might have had a fight with the missus was heading to a mates for a few coldies and I interrupted his plans .. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back