Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabregasreptiles

Reaction score
hey guys,

wat do you think about this python. what is the smallest size they can be and what is the average length of them. also, do they generally have a good temperament???? and could i hold an adult by myself??? any info you can give me on these pythons would be great. also, there are a few places where they come from (eg. NT, WA, etc.) from which place do the smallest size bhp's come from????

thanks

from what iv heard, QLD bhps grow a little larger, they generally get to about 8-10ft possible more (12ft), and have good temperament, you could hold an adult by yourself but always good to have another person with you when holding large pythons, mine is an excellent handler and feeds good too it is a 2 year old QLD bhp, about 5ft in a 4x2x2enclosure

I think most BHPs have a great temperment- they are the pussycats of the pythons. However to answer your question, I THINK (please note THINK) that WA BHPs are slighty smaller... However my 2.5 yr old QLD girl is just over 2 metres... You are 16, you will be fine with any locale. If you want STUNNING colours you might think Normanton locales... There are a number of people on here with AWESOME snakes.

Qld and NT BHPs can get up to the 10 foot plus mark and as a rule are quite and gentle animals.
Some can have a very strong feeding response and may taste you a few times.
Although if handled offen while young they settle down well and are a great choice for a 1st python.

WA BHPs are a lot smaller, rarely getting over 6 foot full grown.
The main issue with the WA BHPs is that they can be very flighty and take a bit of work to settle them down.
I would not recomend a WA animal to a beginner.

If you want a small snake then a BHP is not. They are certainly placid though. I find them a bit psycho when in their first year but instead of biting you like a carpet python or something they "headbutt" its quite funny. I find them easier to handle at a large size than an olive because instead of trying to hook that tail around things and cling on they try to keep cruising through your hands and eventuly wanting to go for a wander on the ground. Still with any large snake beginners should do so with someone nearby just incase things go bad. In the very rare event they do bite its VERY PAINFUL and they aren't to keen on letting go!!!!! (thats what happens when you handle a woma then pick up a reptile eating BHP before washing your hands!)

Bhps are one of the most attractive snakes and a very popular one to own on anyones list. but if you have the space and the money (surprisingly they are getting cheaper) then go for it!!!!

So if I said Rockhampton locale, what would come to mind? Like, what would you picture?
I love BHPs! They have such personalities!

i have 3 snakes (woma, blonde mac, hypo bredli) so i have some experience but they are all yearlings??? if i got one it would probably be a WA bhp as they are much smaller while the other locales can grow up 10 ft (also, what are these 2 locales average length???) and if i get a WA, are they as bad tempered as jungles or darwins??? i have heard that their bite can be EXTREMELY PAINFUL so i wouldt really be wantin to get bitten. do most of thembite or what??? could i like get a very placid one that never bites and grows under 6ft???

thanks

youre scared of getting bitten and asking if you can get a very placid snake. lol be careful and you wont get bitten.or maybe sometimes its inevitable. the perks of keeping a reptile. they bite.

good luck getting one under 6 foot. wont happen mate. most BHPs dont bite if you treat em right. they can be snappy up to a year old but if you hold your hand out infront of them as a stop sign they just headbutt and dont go past the bluff. into adult hood they calm down a fair bit and the most placid of snakes ive seen. i would place it infront of an olive then the children's. I have handled many wild BHPs before i was able to own a captive one and never had a problem until i forgot to clean the smell between handling different snakes. Being reptile eaters themselves you have top respect that.

Like snakelove says all reptiles bite like all horses can kick and do destructive damage but respect understand and dont give them the second thought 99% of the time you should be ok. IThink for you length is the restriction and for now untill you cann accomodate 2M plus then dont consider the wonderful BHP yet.

i love my black head, she is aprox 15 months, and i would recomend one to anyone who is willing to pay for one.
i can honestly say mine has never bitten anyone, she knows the difference between food and everything else, handles like an angel.
i have handled other black head and never had any dramas with one.
as mentioned above 8 - 10 feet full grown

great snakes i say go for it

yeah. but if the snake is like 8 ft, how do you hold it?? and support it??where??? and must you stand up with them and hold them or canh you sit ad hold them???

sorry, never handled a big snake before

Where did you all get your BHPs from??? Id love to see pics!

ok. i have really wanted a bhp as i love their pattern and their distinct black head but i have always thought they grow too big! for those bhp experience keepers out there, if i grow up with the bhp from a baby, will i get used to it and be bale to handle it when it is like 8 ft, also, i am getting lots of answers out there that the WA bhp grows under 6 ft and others saying they will rarely grow under 6 foot. so if an experienced bhp keeper could give me an answer to my wuestions of their size and handling and tempermanet, that would be great

thanks

just curious, if ur worried bout bhps gettin too big,wat are u gonna do wen ur bredli grows full size??

From what I have read bredlis can reach around the 8ft mark..maybe more in some cases. Don't quote me on that, I don't own one, but that's just what I have read.

If you're worried about handling a big snake maybe you should handle some first to see if you're comfortable with it or not. At the Australian Reptile Park in Somersby you can hold (and have a photo with) a burmese python (not a full grown one..these ones are still young but still weigh around the 20 kilo mark).

bredlis and bhp and two very differant snakes to handle bredlis are big stocky snakes and very strong and are arboreal (tree climbers) where as bhp's tend to be less stocky but long and terrestrial (ground dwelling) its pretty rare for a carpet to fall off you as long as you are careful where as a bhp the chances are much greater so more care should be taken.

thats the expirence ive had with mine anyway.

Hi mate, I own a pair of WA bhp. The female is close to 8 ft and the male is 7. The female is less flighty then the male and less inclined to bite. The male is always on edge with people around when he is out. I can get them out at anytime but don't let my kids anymore. They are definatly not toys. I am always very careful if my hand is in their enclosure and i have been chased out a couple of times. The female ate one of my fingers up to the hand one night and wouldnt even let go when held under water, I had to wipe metho in front of her face on my hand. But I love them and think they are one of the best pythons.
They have never bitten out of fear, only a food response and this is why you have to be careful with them. they are very powerful and when switched on they give a chinese burn raking their teeth through your skin .
So get one as a hatchie and learn from your mistakes and grow with it, and always treat it with respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back