Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have my first snake, who shows no sigh of agression.

Is it possiable that this snake will never bite, or is the assumption that 'all snakes bite'.

Any feedback on yor first tag, and how long you had the snake before it bit you, would also be appreciated.

My jungle girl is a non aggressive python, she's never tried to strike or bite and will quite happily come out of her enclosure to be held.
I got her as a hatchie and she is now almost 2 and has never intentionally bitten.
I have been tagged by her once but that was my fault, I dropped the rat I was trying to give her into the click clack by accident, I left it for a little bit and when it seemed she wasn't going to take it (because she's fussy and won't take anything unless I hold it) I reached in to take it out and thats when she got me. As soon as she realized it was my hand not the rat she let go and it was obviously my fault it happened for many reasons.
I believe how your snake behaves can have lots to do with how you treat them.

you can have a snake that turns crazy and all it does is bites you or you can have a snake which will never bite i have got 2 bredls which are 2 yrs old and have never bit me but iv got a spotted which all of a sudden bit me the other day.

I have 4 snakes only one, my bredlis has bit me and yhat was not a strike, she was pushing her nose into the back of my hand.she then opened her mouth and bit .Iwas looking and thinking what the.......she just let go and was fine for an other 10 minutes didn't hurt.the only one that hasn't tried to bite me is my coastal.He is so gental but he is a snake . I will always take carenot to get bit but snakes will be snakes

They dont all bite, I know a couple of people who have said theirs have never bitten. I know more who say theirs have bitten :p
I also have my first snake who showed no sign of aggression until 2 days ago when he tried to bite me with his teenie tiny lil mouth hehe. It was my fault, was being clumsy in my handling to get him back in his enclosure after feeding him. But he's back to normal now.

i have this 2 1/2yr old diamond which i bred, which was a very late starter, was force feedin him for 2yrs, but got him now eatin rats, but he cant kill a pinky, he is that quiet that you can hold him and the food at the one time with out him even thinkin of biting, but i must say he has bitten me since he has started eatin but was only a quick nip, didnt think this snake would ever bite, cos i had to help him kill his food for him before, just goes to show any snake can bite, im sure they have their off days aswell.

Loki - male bredli, was psycho for the first 6-8 months, stalked me thru the glass when i walked into the room, after lots of out of tank time and gentle handling he settled down beautifully, didnt bite at all for close to 4 years till i drunkenly let the neighbours poodle have a sniff (dog was restrained but very interested) and he gave me a gentle nip, well, as gentle as a 6-7 foot snake can bite, blood but no bruising. very controlled, and yes, i totally deserved that one.

yani and yindi - female bredli, were psycho for the first year till i started handling them more regularly, and they settled down, they have the occasional go at me but ots more of a nose but than a strike and coil, spot of blood but nothing much.

Nut and Ra - female and male jungle will both have a go if im not careful, hard as they can, tehy like the taste of blood.
they seem to give me a couple of mins to see if theyre being moved to the aviary first, i dont get bitten if im putting them out there, only if i miss the door i normally go thru to take em out. :)

Bella - female diamond came from a neglected home, was fine at first and once she got some strength up started biting, with regular handling and outside time shes become much nicer, hisses her butt off if she doesnt wanna be disturbed, so i dont disturb her on those days.

new male diamond who still doesnt have a name was milky when he arrived and bit me as soon as i opened his container to move him to his new home. (hes been in a tub in a car all day so i find that totally excuseable) Hasnt even looked like biting since, hes the one who has made me believe all those people with these lovely non biting snakes!!

aside from that theres been the occasional feeding bite, but generally theres been alcohol involved in those,.. :)

any snake that has teeth has the potential to bite.

my first snake was a Stimsoni python, I've never been bite or even struck at - however I don't test it or provoke/tease it to do so. my snake is very placid however when it is a stressful time (shedding) I do leave her be. but that said I've also handled her at her worse times - not for long as she is not comfortable. You should never trust your snake NOT to bite, assume they all do and treat them as if they would, if they don't then thats perfect, don't assume they won't because you've held your snake for 2 years and it's never struck. all you need is a sent of rodent on you and they will THINK you are food. hope this helps.

out of the four snakes me and my partner have atm, 3 of them have never bitten me and our new hatchie is the spawn of satan that likes to have a go at anything that moves. every snake has potential to bite, but i think its got alot to do with how you act around them and how you treat them.

I didnt even own my first snake when he bit me xD But he thought i was food (me being foolish and just diving in there with my hand).

So, lets say -20min

My Bredli, when she was a baby was quite a biter. Bit me about 20 or so times. Now she is perfect. Even at feeding time she sits patiently in her feeding container.

My jungle has never bitten me. Or even tried too for that matter. He is the most placid snake, which is a little strange for Jungles but I am happy!

thats just the awsomeness of MITCHELL'S MORELIA tinky...lol.. i give them a stiff talking to before they go to there new owners..'dont bite & dont make a fool of me'....lol..

Your advise seems to be working, but then again Tails is not the one volenteering to wear a dress and be a flower girl for Dani

I had a bredli that was a little jumpy in her youth (and only vaguely nipped me once), but became very easy to handle and extremely placid. It wasn't until I transferred her to a new home in a huge 7ft x 4ft enclosure that she totally switched. From that point she'd stalk everyone going near the tank, have a crack at the glass at times... and god help you if you opened the door. She struck at me often and only once did she tag me good when I had her out and she thought my hand was a prey item.

I've since sold her because she became too tough to handle, though reports from her new owner state that she's actually pretty calm... so i'm putting it down to her viewing her new home as her territory and reacting accordingly.

I guess sometimes you never know, but it did upset me that she wasn't as calm as others.

my jungle girl that i have, has only ever bitten me once - when she was a hatchie, and this was when i was feeding her.
my jungle boy that i used to own, was the most placid snake ever, i could poke and prod him all day and he wouldnt even react.
my coastal boy is very cage defensive, and will sometimes strike at the glass.
my coastal girl is very food orientated, once she smells food, she'll bite anything in her way to get to it.
and my bredli was the same, very food orientated, got me a few times when i was feeding her.

Got my first snake 8yrs ago, Had him for about 3 seconds before he bit me then continued to bite for about a month. But he's placid as now!!

thats just the awsomeness of MITCHELL'S MORELIA tinky...lol.. i give them a stiff talking to before they go to there new owners..'dont bite & dont make a fool of me'....lol..

Yeah he really does most of the time they tell him to get stuffed...lol Tony..... but then he puts the dress and boots on and they give in. Thats why his snakes are the best.... although Lucian needs councelling from seeing him in the dress.... lol nah you looked smashing Tony... ;)

i have 2 coastals that never bite a diamond at least once every time i handle her a darwin that bites even before you open the cage savage lil one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back