breeding stimmies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan88

Reaction score
hey guys, probably a stupid question but are u able to breed a tennant creek stimmie with a wheatbelt stimmie? just thought theyd come ou with beautiful caramelish colours. thanks

The short answer is yes,

BUT and its a big BUT, they will be locale cross stimsoni. Theres nothing wrong with locale cross, probably 80% of captive reptiles are locale cross unless they were wild caught from the same place which very few people will admit.

Whats important in this situation is, if you successfully breed them, its extremely important to label them correctly. Dont go ahead and make up a locale you think they fit into and then call them that. (not saying this is what you will do, just saying this has been done and its not accepted) Simply label them as loclale cross stimsoni and be honest when people ask info about their heritage.....

yeh for sure man thanks heaps hey. people that incorrctly label cross locales **** me. now just gotta wait for my girl to grow a bit. lol

I should also mention that alot of people will criticise you (and probably me for the previous info) for crossing localities. But as said the vast majority of reptiles in captivity are crossed locale anyway.

This doesn't make crossing locales any better. However at the end of the day our collections are just pets, their not for conservation projects. Its about breeding animals that are desired within our hobby, be it pretty examples of different species, or be it wild type species from a specific locale.

As said whats important is correct labelling and honesty.....

Barramundi, I wouldn't worry too much about your advice. It is definetly spot on.. thats why we have some of the colours we do out there in different species of snakes, lizards, geckos and monitors. Cross one locale to another increase colours, markings etc..

These days with the market crash, it going to have to be the way to go to be able to inter sell with other keepers/breeders.

So lond as one can be honest then why does it matter??

Its certainly true that better looking animals are going to move quicker and easier and are going to appeal to a wider audience.

These days its going to be about looks over locale. But as you said honesty is vitally important......

well i guess ill just give it a shot then hey, see what happens but at the end of the day i will advertise them for what they r, cross-locale stimmies hopefully they look good =)

Barramundi.
"This doesn't make crossing locales any better. However at the end of the day our collections are just pets, their not for conservation projects. Its about breeding animals that are desired within our hobby, be it pretty examples of different species, or be it wild type species from a specific locale"
This is the most sensible bit of advice I have seen on aps in 2 years. We need people in the hobby from all sides, from purests, cross locals and hibrids for the hobby to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back