African Grey parrot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giglamesh

Reaction score
i saw an add recently for hand raised African grey parrots. and was quite interested but what are the legalities of them here... Are they legal?

Yes they are legal, it's just one of those peculiarities of our wildlife laws.

Yeah you don't even need a licence. But they live for 70 years and require lots of attention like a 3 year old child.

I would also be pretty weary of the adds they have around for handraised greys. There are a lot of scams worldwide that rip heaps of people off who are trying to get a good deal.

Make sure that you get the bird from a reputable website and go and visit the bird and the breeder before you send them money.

People love them because they talk and are very interactive, but grey parrots are not really suited to a life in a cage. They require a heap of attention and are high maintenance so if you are thinking of getting one, do as much reading as you can beforehand.

But yeah, as everyone has said, it is legal to own them.

Eclectus Parrot would be another alternative. about the same size and rated as the 3rd best talking parrot in world (african grey is ranked 1). They look nice too, and are generally fairly quiet and need less attention.

There are a lot of greys with calcium issues [lack of] if you proceed be sure to view the bird prior to purchase plus the fact they are "not" cheap either solar 17 [Baden]

i think with the price of the one i saw they must have been a scam $550. what does a hand raised eclectus go for?

Grey's here in Australia usually go for between $5500 to $6000. We sold out like lightning last year and will probably do the same again with all the inquiries we get. I'd suggest that anyone wanting a grey do their reading and have a few years experience particularly with other birds before purchasing a grey. Grey's require lots of work and to keep one you should have a good understanding of the need for mental stimulation, calcium requirements etc.

Baden is right there have been a few calcium issues with some birds and indeed an inspection is a must. Having an avian vet perform a once over of the bird and a few tests is well worth the few hundred it will cost you and will identify a bird that is not healthy. I see paying a few hundred better than loosing thousands.

Regards,
Jade

Baden I met you at the reptile show on the Gold Coast if you remember (I have the macaws, grey's, amazons etc). Nice snakes you have mate and the GTP's were to die for. Hopefully i'll get some soon.

Last edited:
has anyone had experience with sun concurs? there another one i have been looking at

Giglamesh go to my website and I've done a write up on Sunnies as they are affectionately known. They are a noisy bird however handreared individuals are usually a lot quieter.

Regards,
Jade

No problems let me know if you need any more assistance. I am only too happy to help.

sun conures are the bomb! affectionate out going and crazy. like keeping a lorikeet without the sloppy poo :) relatively low maintenance and hardy and most good breeders will have them eating there fruit and veg when you buy them. but be warned they are LOUD!!!

sun conures are the bomb! affectionate out going and crazy. like keeping a lorikeet without the sloppy poo :) relatively low maintenance and hardy and most good breeders will have them eating there fruit and veg when you buy them. but be warned they are LOUD!!!

Green cheeks are better though ;)

there pretty much the same bird only a different colour aren't they?

yeah but your biased green cheeks are quieter but not so pretty...

*waits for morgan to send minions*

They're generally a bit quieter and nicer tempered, gig :)

nicer tempered my hind leg lol ive known plenty of viscious greencheeks in face from what ive heard morgand is a holy terror :p there beatiful if they decide they like you not so much if they dont sunnys tend to be better adjusted and bond to more than one person....

in saying that i do have a soft pot for greencheeks :) in fack i may be inheriting morgans ones brother or sister :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back