dehydrated stimsons pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithopian

Reaction score
hey guys- just a query- ive got 2 stimmies in a glass terrarium- 1m in length, with a heat mat below sand. Hot side 36 degrees, sometimes 37, cold side about 22-24 degrees. 2 water bowls (changed every second day)

noticed that the snakes had dimples on their eyes (which we researched and found out to be dehydration)- we soaked them and the eye spots have gone, but were worried it will continue happening.

We have recently bought them a new, larger, water bowl- is it possible they dont like it and are not drinking? Also...the tank is in my living room and it's possible that it sees a few hours of afternoon sun through the window..it has just started to get to about 23-24 degrees here in perth too..

Theyre both about 8 months old and roughly 45cm in length. Great eaters- never shown signs of stress/ health problems. Theyre always active at night too and usually during the day at some stage, but their activity has definitely ceased over the last few days.

Any thoughts appreciated.

cheers guys

imogen

Did you find anything in the water?
Ever had mite?
Have you checked a old sloughed skin & check to see if it was a complete one?

Warm side only needs to be 30-31, maybe if you drop that down from 36-37 it might help.....

I don't think temps are a problem though it wouldn't hurt to drop them a bit mid 30's is good for Stimmies. If it is dehydration I can only think maybe the water is contaminated or if your enclosure is very well ventilated maybe the higher temps are drying the air out to much. The low overnight temps have caused my stimmies to become less active over the last couple of weeks.
87B51145-7872-4196-22ED-C928126D1867

How are you measuring your temperatures? If you are going by air temperature with a standard thermometer, your snakes will be experiencing a much higher temperature on the hot sand. If a standard thermometer, put the bulb right down in the sand to get a true temperature. If a heat gun which measures surface temperature, you are fine. As others have said, you can turn down the thermostat (you do have one?!) on the heat mat to about 32.

Also as a side note, you're not allowed to keep snakes on sand in WA. Probably best to change it, don't want any probs with DEC :(

Also as a side note, you're not allowed to keep snakes on sand in WA. Probably best to change it, don't want any probs with DEC :(

What will they do if they catch you? I think you'll find it's just not recommended to keep them on sand, rather than against the law... but you never know in WA! The silliest bunch of bureaucratic twats in Australia!

Jamie

I might be missing something but I dont see where lithopian said the snakes are kept on sand?

Have another read Megzz. :)
Oh yeah sorry I see it now.

I only have one stimson but I know his hot spot does get to the same sort of temperatures as that (36-37) directly underneath the heat lamp. Hes always been fine but I might make it a bit cooler now depending on what others say...

I would definitely get the tank into a place where it can't get direct sun, at any time. Perth has awful summers, and the heat buildup in an enclosure exposed to sun can be massive, even if the tank is inside. You only have to be out during a freak hot day and they'll die.

Stimson's are also highly nocturnal, even if they're in a hide they won't appreciate the strong light. Generally they would prefer to spend the daylight hours in complete darkness.

Jamie.

With regards to the sand issue, our license conditions state that animals have to be kept according to DEC caresheets...which specify that stimsons can't be kept on sand.

I mentioned it because OP might not be aware and I'm not sure what the penalty is but some people would rather not risk it. Also we're trying to get some laws and rules changed so surely encouraging other keepers to comply only helps DEC to see us in a better light and be more willing to compromise.

thanks for all your help and advice guys.. we ended up turning the thermostat down a tad and we hope that will sort it. Have installed a shade sail outside that totally blocks the sunlight into the living room, sheltering the terrarium (i hope this works ok in summer, but will need to watch them- 32 degrees today even!). I think it must be the warmer days as theyve been in the same conditions for a few months now with no problems. I may even end up turning the thermostat down to about 30 degrees to ensure total safety. Its a bit scary! These two are very active during the day and night usually which i have heard is a bit unusual. One of them is coming up for shedding as well which worries me- she wont go into the humidity box either :/ i have a question about that too- does a humidity box need to be dark for them to like it? I used a clear tupperware container.. and it's just occured to me that the snakes wont go in voluntarily if its light inside? ... hmm

Stimson's are also highly nocturnal, even if they're in a hide they won't appreciate the strong light. Generally they would prefer to spend the daylight hours in complete darkness. Jamie.

As Jamie said, your Stimmies may appreciate a darker hide. If they are not using it, the light getting through may be why.

If you want to continue using the plastic container, maybe there is some safe product you can paint it black with?
Either that, or get a different hide?

Just ensure your measuring your temps with a thermometer your thermostat setting is unreliable, I don't think you need a humidity box, I don't know of anyone that uses one for Stimmies.
87B51145-7872-4196-22ED-C928126D1867

My opion too 32-33 is good move the tank to a place that doesnt receive direct sunlight remove the sand and maybe you have to much ventilation and you loosing all humidity

i have my yearling Stimmy temp set at 31deg... and he smashes his food all the time and sheds 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back