Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

While buying mealworms today at a Sandgate rd. Virginia [nth. Brizzy]pet-shop today l noticed in an enclosure an adult male spotted for $595.00 .....speechless !!!!! solar 17 [Baden]

i agree fay,if id came with the enclosure it sounds ok for a pet shop

haha no its none of the above :D petshops will buy from people like us and then need to make there profit margine ontop of that i have looked into opening an aquerium before when i was younger and for petshops in a shoping centre you have to pay rent plus a % of the profits you make per wk/mnth ect ect which is y it is always cheeper to goto a breeder nomatter what you are buying as you are essentially cuting out the middle man and any added costs.

my 1st snake before finding this site was a spotted from a petshop and was a tiny spotted cost my gf of the time $300 to buy it for me for my bday.

so i can easily belive baden about there price when i see on here adult spotteds going for 300 odd ea that petshop is new in the way of owners and management and only added its reptile section in a few mnths ago as i was there on my way home from geting medusa and they were in the middle of the changes in both supply and ownership

Ive seen an adult spotted for $700. I posted that and everyone flamed me saying that the pet store needs profit and stuff :rolleyes:

haha no its none of the above :D petshops will buy from people like us and then need to make there profit margine ontop of that i have looked into opening an aquerium before when i was younger and for petshops in a shoping centre you have to pay rent plus a % of the profits you make per wk/mnth ect ect which is y it is always cheeper to goto a breeder nomatter what you are buying as you are essentially cuting out the middle man and any added costs.

my 1st snake before finding this site was a spotted from a petshop and was a tiny spotted cost my gf of the time $300 to buy it for me for my bday.

so i can easily belive baden about there price when i see on here adult spotteds going for 300 odd ea that petshop is new in the way of owners and management and only added its reptile section in a few mnths ago as i was there on my way home from geting medusa and they were in the middle of the changes in both supply and ownership

This is absolutely correct. They prey on the unsuspeted people that have the bug to buy something or a pet on the spure of the moment impulse.
Nothing at all against pet shop owners as they provide a service & need to make a living just like everyone else. As a matter of fact I know pet shop owners & thats how it is.
When I bred hand raised birds a number of years ago, the pet shop in a paticular shopping centre(mackay) would buy whatever I could supply at whatever price. He loved it. because he would just double the price of the bird & when mum was wheeling little johny past the pet shop in the full shopping trolley they had to go in & have a look. The next thing little Johny had a nice little bird sitting on his shoulder & saying mum I love him I want him. This day & age of credit cards MUM Johny opens the purse with the credit card & next thing she has not only bought a bird but a cage,seed,shellgrit etc & this is how our ever demanding society has become.
Without harping on, when I was a kid (long time ago) I had to mow lawns to get pocket money to buy a pet budgie.
Cheers

haha ian i remember doing the mowing thing untill i got the ****s and threw it at the fence :D god bless my temper back then haha now im stuck mowing my own yard if i want it done properly lol.

and yes i also know a petshop owner in my area tho he double dips in a sence as he breeds beardies and fish himself but sells them for the same as his "supplyed" animals however in saying this he knows what he is talking about as he owns and breeds alot of what he sells. (quite rare in petshops like chain owned stores)

but unfortunatly rent is 1 of the biggest killers in the petshop trade as like with body piercing u only make a minimal in sales on the "main" products while the big money is made in acc or with animals food acc ect.

if you buy a bearded dragon for $40 mark it upto 80 or even 100 and that animal is in the shop for say 3mnths you are prettymuch looking at a loss imo my 2 pygmy dragons eat 1 box of roaches in 2days at $6 odd a box petshop will use there own food stock but in teh end it adds up and adds up quick when u have 10 baby beardies split in 2 tanks with electricity ect u will make a loss on that animal so how many birds fish and so on are they keeping feeding with prolonged no sales you would be supprised how long alot of animals are siting round in a shop for

I hate those impulse pet store buyers. A little boy in a store spotted a $420 Stimmy Hatchling and the brat screamed "Daddy, I want it" The father said yes immediately. The pet store person said "Oh you want a snake? Have you kept snakes before?" The dad replies "Nah, but lets start now! Can we keep it in our birdcage? And what do we feed it?" So the little boy took his snake home, and I was shocked as they clearly knew nothing about snakes, I was worried for the animals safety. I asked the pet store person about it, she just shrugged and walked off :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a certain petshop in Darwin. Last time I was up there, they were selling hatchie crocs for $525 each. ANYONE (with a permit) can get one for carton of crownies from a croc farm, maybe two cartons if they don't like the look of you!

Same petshop sold John Weigels husbandry book for $106.00. RRP is $16.95 from memory?

I understand they need to cover their costs, but there a few out there in it to rip people off!!!

I hate those impulse pet store buyers. A little boy in a store spotted a $420 Stimmy Hatchling and the brat screamed "Daddy, I want it" The father said yes immediately. The pet store person said "Oh you want a snake? Have you kept snakes before?" The dad replies "Nah, but lets start now! Can we keep it in our birdcage? And what do we feed it?" So the little boy took his snake home, and I was shocked as they clearly knew nothing about snakes, I was worried for the animals safety. I asked the pet store person about it, she just shrugged and walked off :rolleyes:
uhh, they didnt ask for license etc??
i hate all impulse buys, especially dogs and cat(dont mean to start debate)

did they even have a license lol thats pretty wild tho u will find if its a chain like pets paradise ect they are even more expensive and the workers generally know nothing of what they sell main reason is the workers are almost always young people that just need a jub while at school / uni ect some know a little but most know nothing atlest not around here and there not allowed to buy form the public breeders only from warehouses like bayfish ect si i coluld see a chain petsho fobing off reptiles like any other animal

I know in the NT, you don't need to have a permit to buy a snake. If you do want to buy a woma, or something other than a childreni as an impulse buy for you first snake. You are given a record of sale (carbon copied) and a blank permit application form. It's all too easy..

The pet store clerk didnt ask for a license, I doubt they had one! The pet store probably spotted a quick buck, and let the family deal with any consequences...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back