"not" cheap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes so can I if I lived nearer to my supplier but I live along way away and I need bulk quantaties to keep them frozen solid for overnight transport!! Ordering alot also keeps the freight costs lower over time!!

I am also having problems finding a new local supplier and with only 2 snakes to feed I'm not interested in breeding for feeding.

If anyone in The Blue Mountains/Penrith area of NSW wants to get together for a shipped bulk order please count me in!

Cheers,
Lisa

Part of the problem is that reptile keepers rarely establish loyalty to a rodent breeder to ensure that he can sell what he breeds at a consistent price throughout the feeding season. I've discussed this with Wokka on many occasions. Early in the feeding season, when there ar more rodents around because feeding has been minimal through the winter, you all shop around to get the best price, they are cheaper at that time of year so if the bloke who lives down the road has rodents at a better price than you pay normally, you buy them instead. This makes it very difficult for a breeder who can supply consistent numbers to keep doing it. Later, when the bloke down the road has none, you go back to your regular supplier and find the price has gone up because he needs to make a bit of money following your desertion earlier. If reptile keepers were a bit more loyal to rodent breeders, they may pay a little more at the beginning of the season, but they'd avoid the exorbitant costs associated with buying from pet shops late in the season when prices skyrocket due to scarcity.

This is a seasonal whinge, comes around every year at this time. Growing rats out to adulthood is not a quick or cheap process either if you house and feed them properly.

Jamie.

Part of the problem is that reptile keepers rarely establish loyalty to a rodent breeder to ensure that he can sell what he breeds at a consistent price throughout the feeding season. I've discussed this with Wokka on many occasions. Early in the feeding season, when there ar more rodents around because feeding has been minimal through the winter, you all shop around to get the best price, they are cheaper at that time of year so if the bloke who lives down the road has rodents at a better price than you pay normally, you buy them instead. This makes it very difficult for a breeder who can supply consistent numbers to keep doing it. Later, when the bloke down the road has none, you go back to your regular supplier and find the price has gone up because he needs to make a bit of money following your desertion earlier. If reptile keepers were a bit more loyal to rodent breeders, they may pay a little more at the beginning of the season, but they'd avoid the exorbitant costs associated with buying from pet shops late in the season when prices skyrocket due to scarcity.

This is a seasonal whinge, comes around every year at this time. Growing rats out to adulthood is not a quick or cheap process either if you house and feed them properly.

Jamie.

Very well put Jamie!

Jamie.

I have no doubt that this does happen ... but we're not all like that! I'm guessing this happens more often in well populated areas where there is choice. I'm more than happy to be loyal and pay a reasonable price to support one supplier, and I always plan ahead and discuss my upcoming needs with my supplier to make sure they'll have what I want when I'll need it. I'm also happy to take a bag or 3 of pinkies or fuzzies for my lizards if it helps the supplier to keep turnover happening.

The thing is, I just need to find one to be loyal to!! I have the reverse issue as I have now lost my fourth supplier in two years due to them dropping out of the market. I have stuck with each one till they stopped producing and have then been able to find another one, until now.

I know there are plenty of places that ship but the thought of frozen rats defrosting on my doorstep while I'm at work is not a cheery thought!

Does anyone know a way around this? Can suppliers ship and request delivery for after business hours or on a particular day?

Jamie.

I love winter, it gives me the chance to stock up. (I actually hate winter, bring on 40 degree days)

Last edited:
Lippy, they are probably dropping out of the breeding business for the reasons I suggested. You would be a rare beast in the snake keeping game - a loyal customer who plans ahead! It's a pity there are not more like you. I got out of rodent breeding for a few reasons (not the least of which was that I actually like rats and don't enjoy gassing them!), one of the reasons was that it's very difficult to maintain a consistent sales pattern, even if your prices are low, because even your 'loyal' customers shop around if they get a better offer.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but the spinoff from that is that people who are set up to supply consistent numbers find it isn't worth it if they are being continually undercut by backyard breeders who sell off surplus animals at prices which don't even cover costs.

Jamie.

When my Darwins were just hatchies on mice and then when a bit bigger on small rats it never bothered me much but now at 16mnths and one is eating a large rat at $12.00 each I have the "home brew" rat breeding set up going like mad.

Lippy, they are probably dropping out of the breeding business for the reasons I suggested. You would be a rare beast in the snake keeping game - a loyal customer who plans ahead! It's a pity there are not more like you. I got out of rodent breeding for a few reasons (not the least of which was that I actually like rats and don't enjoy gassing them!), one of the reasons was that it's very difficult to maintain a consistent sales pattern, even if your prices are low, because even your 'loyal' customers shop around if they get a better offer.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but the spinoff from that is that people who are set up to supply consistent numbers find it isn't worth it if they are being continually undercut by backyard breeders who sell off surplus animals at prices which don't even cover costs.

Jamie.

Yes, it's an unfortunate cycle.
I think part of the problem, and I know it to be true in a couple of instance for me, is that the backyard breeders tend to be the ones who think they're going to make good money out of it but in six months the novelty has worn off and the bucks didn't roll in and the next time you turn up for rats you get told 'Not doing it anymore, there's no money in it'.

I once had one supplier who I had a feeling that was going to be the case so my last order (before getting the not doing it anymore response) was well in advance of my needs so I had time to find a replacement.

I would prefer to not use someone like that - if that's the attitude then you wonder how much consideration has been given to the welfare of the rats - but sometimes needs must.

It's a funny thing ... I have rats in my roof, possums in my trees, wallabies in the yard, the neighours chooks scratching my front garden, cats galore in the street, unknown native fluffy things in the garage ...but I can't find a reasonably priced meal for my snakes!

I have no doubt that this does happen ... but we're not all like that! I'm guessing this happens more often in well populated areas where there is choice. I'm more than happy to be loyal and pay a reasonable price to support one supplier, and I always plan ahead and discuss my upcoming needs with my supplier to make sure they'll have what I want when I'll need it. I'm also happy to take a bag or 3 of pinkies or fuzzies for my lizards if it helps the supplier to keep turnover happening.

The thing is, I just need to find one to be loyal to!! I have the reverse issue as I have now lost my fourth supplier in two years due to them dropping out of the market. I have stuck with each one till they stopped producing and have then been able to find another one, until now.

I know there are plenty of places that ship but the thought of frozen rats defrosting on my doorstep while I'm at work is not a cheery thought!

Does anyone know a way around this? Can suppliers ship and request delivery for after business hours or on a particular day?
Lippy, we deliver door to door in NSW without thawing problems provided the volume if sufficient to provide thermal mass. After hours delivery is a problem but some customers get delivery to a neighbour,friend or even work. Perhaps you can take a flexiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back