"not" cheap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up day old meat chickens for $2.50each today.

Are you going to grow them out? Or are you only feeding small snakes? When people are feeding X-large and XX-large they no doubt need bigger food items, does your supplier also sell larger chickens?

From the same produce store that sells the guinea pigs for $5 dollars.

PM sent.

I picked up a pregnant female guinea pig for $10 on Monday (from a pet store), she's worth abit more than that in a couple of weeks.

At the moment my lass is content with the day olds but they also sell point of lay pullets for $23. They have a notice board that is loaded with give away roosters. We seem to have a lot of fancy poultry breeders in my area.

We sell them for 50 cents each and if you add freight via AAE it will still work out
cheaper!

Awesome stuff, Beeman!

Do you have a website with price lists?
Please PM me.
Cheers.

I picked up a pregnant female guinea pig for $10 on Monday (from a pet store), she's worth abit more than that in a couple of weeks.

As soon as the young are born she'll come into season straight away. If you have a boar there he can cover her before you dispatch him.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a silly question (I know, you never see a silly question on a forum) - but do you give the little chickies over live?

No I dispatch them before I feed them.
I've tried a few methods and I think that CO2 gassing is kindest and less messy.

I'm sure that there are suppliers who sell them dead and frozen.
I just don't know of any.(at the moment)
Maybe someone else can say where they buy from.

I have to agree the prices are high but that is the nature of retail petshops. Things need to be marked up to make money. A freezer is not cheap to run so they have to mark up to contribute to the rest of the overheads of the store.

I personally can't breed rats where I am but I find no problems with buying rats in bulk and storing them in a dedicated freezer (which the bulk discounts paid for) and I also keep a number of other peoples in there and sell packs to people who need it for a marked up price. This price covers freight and starts paying back some of the costs and if others buy me out I just place another order.. we are not talking 50 rats we are talking 100's which I understand others can't afford straight up but if you can get a few people together its worth it!!

Word of Warning: get the money for them BEFORE you order if others are going in with you.. If they don't pick them up then its not your problem!!

No I dispatch them before I feed them.
I've tried a few methods and I think that CO2 gassing is kindest and less messy.

with chickens I've found pulling their necks the fastest and easiest way to dispatch, instant neck break (spinal chord)

Rat Pinkies
1-6 days

3-8 grams
1-2"
Mouse Fuzzie

Rat Fuzzies
7-13 days
9-20 grams
2-2.5"
Hopper or Weaned Mice

Rat Pups
2-3 weeks
21-30 grams
2.5-3.5"
Large Mouse

Weaned Rats
3-4 weeks
31-45 grams
3.5-4.5"
X-Large Mouse

Small Rats
4-6 weeks
46-79 grams
4.5-6"

Medium Rats
6-8 weeks
80-149 grams
6-8"

Large Rats
8-10 weeks
150-265 grams
8-9"
1/2 lb Rabbit

X-Large Rats
Adult Rat
266-360 grams
9-11"
1 lb Rabbit

XX-Large Rats
Adult Rat
Over 361 grams
11" +
1.5 lb Rabbit
This sizing suggested by the "snake whisperer" is very close to my sizing
pink rats...enough said
velvet rats...enough said
hopper rats...25-35 grams
weaner rats...35-65 grams
juvies/sub-adults...145-165 grams
adult rats.............260-300 grams
x large rats...........300-400 grams
jumbo rats.............400-750 grams

I have to agree the prices are high but that is the nature of retail petshops. Things need to be marked up to make money. A freezer is not cheap to run so they have to mark up to contribute to the rest of the overheads of the store.

I personally can't breed rats where I am but I find no problems with buying rats in bulk and storing them in a dedicated freezer (which the bulk discounts paid for) and I also keep a number of other peoples in there and sell packs to people who need it for a marked up price. This price covers freight and starts paying back some of the costs and if others buy me out I just place another order.. we are not talking 50 rats we are talking 100's which I understand others can't afford straight up but if you can get a few people together its worth it!!

Word of Warning: get the money for them BEFORE you order if others are going in with you.. If they don't pick them up then its not your problem!!

haha, I had to re-read, "I keep a number of other peoples in there", I'm thinkin what tha? peoples in the freezer???
Good strategy though.

Last edited:
with chickens I've found pulling their necks the fastest and easiest way to dispatch, instant neck break (spinal chord)
Tried that...Uhgggg..ended up with decapitated chickens....oppss....yikes..too much force...bugger.

Rat Pinkies
1-6 days

3-8 grams
1-2"
Mouse Fuzzie

Rat Fuzzies
7-13 days
9-20 grams
2-2.5"
Hopper or Weaned Mice

Rat Pups
2-3 weeks
21-30 grams
2.5-3.5"
Large Mouse

Weaned Rats
3-4 weeks
31-45 grams
3.5-4.5"
X-Large Mouse

Small Rats
4-6 weeks
46-79 grams
4.5-6"

Medium Rats
6-8 weeks
80-149 grams
6-8"

Large Rats
8-10 weeks
150-265 grams
8-9"
1/2 lb Rabbit

X-Large Rats
Adult Rat
266-360 grams
9-11"
1 lb Rabbit

XX-Large Rats
Adult Rat
Over 361 grams
11" +
1.5 lb Rabbit
This sizing suggested by the "snake whisperer" is very close to my sizing
pink rats...enough said
velvet rats...enough said
hopper rats...25-35 grams
weaner rats...35-65 grams
juvies/sub-adults...145-165 grams
adult rats.............260-300 grams
x large rats...........300-400 grams
jumbo rats.............400-750 grams

Where in Brisbane are u Baden north or south? im about half way between Gold coast and Bris.

Where in Brisbane are u Baden north or south? im about half way between Gold coast and Bris.
l am on the northside just near the Brisbane Entertainment Centre [just off the arterial]...Baden [solar 17]

haha, I had to re-read, "I keep a number of other peoples in there", I'm thinkin what tha? peoples in the freezer???
Good strategy though.

lol thats an awesome mis-read!! I guess I should have written that a little clearer. It works well and everyone benefits!!

i paid $33 for 3 medium rats. I cannot seem to find a local breeder and dont have the room to breed my own. Maybe its time to put in a big order and chuck them in the bait freezer

i paid $33 for 3 medium rats. I cannot seem to find a local breeder and dont have the room to breed my own. Maybe its time to put in a big order and chuck them in the bait freezer

:shock:

I pay less then $4 per medium rat.......................... but then I ordered hundreds....... lol sigh I have so many rats..........................................................

Last edited:
:shock:

I pay less then $4 per medium rat.......................... but then I ordered hundreds....... lol sigh I have so many rats..........................................................
I get an adult rat for $4 and I only have to buy 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back