What's your MD Opinion?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My very first python was an MD, i think that they are the most under rated python to keep. not only are they extremely passive, but as they age they get more beautiful with every shed. My MD is also the only one in my collection that has never ever bitten me, even as a hatchie she is simply just an awesome snake. As for choosing them over another snake, well that's depending on what your comparing them too. i personally keep 3 of the most beautiful species including GTP, and DIAMONDS. Now the poor old MD doesn't hold a candle looks wise to my GTP or DIAMONDS, but i still handle her the most and have such a soft spot for her because of her nature. Although my other lot still handle fine, to be honest i still cant read them as well like i can with her. I could give her to a 2 yr old and know that with 99% certainty she wouldn't strike, the others not so much. That's my two cents MD=Awesome :)

I couldn't have said this better, our two MD's, in all their five years have never bitten (the girl tagged me at feed time but hubby held the rat too close too quick!!)

I got an adult on a DECCW ballot and he's been a great animal. He bit one of my colleagues, but she got her hand between him and the rat she was holding. She admits that it was her fault, not aggression on his part. He has never shown any other indication of biting. I keep him in my busy science lab (on a scientific license) and he is perfect for the job. The activity doesn't bother him. He feeds any time of day and doesn't get fussed about having 30 excited kids watching the process. When I get him out to show the class, he just hangs out and lets them all touch him without any issues (I manage the traffic so only a few at a time). He lets me open his mouth and show his teeth and never gets cross about this. He also moves around during the day a surprising amount, so the students get to see behavioural thermoregulation. Funniest time was when he fell off his branch into the water bowl with a huge splash during a test - everyone had a laugh. I think he's a great snake.

Last edited:
@NatoRey, I'll think about it hehe... Is it embarrassing that whenever systema is on sale at coles I get excited? Hahaha!

@The_S_Word.... Er, should I be worried?

i have a female MD and agree with everyone here. she has the most placid nature and has only bitten once.(was my fault). she is my first snake and her nature colors and ease of care was what made me choose the MD. she is 2 and a bit years old now and weighs 1.125kg and feeds well. my son handles her with ease and she seems calm with him. Ive taken her up to my son and daughters school and she was curious but not scared by the noise at all. my other snake is a spotted and has a anger issue (we dont handle him only with gloves to clean out his enclosure).
hope this helps you decide.
this is a pic of Tinkerbell our MD.
A & Tinks_800x600.jpg

MDs are the bomb. Great markings and as placid as they come. Had mine for 10 years and he has never bitten me ever. Really well natured and a very hardy specimen. If you really like them then definately go ahead and get one. You will not be dissappointed!!

DSCF6186.jpgthis is my gawjus girl peppah :) best of luck md's are great

Attachments

• DSCF6175.jpg
    DSCF6175.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 31
I think my MD will be my favourite no matter how many snakes I get- just so chilled out and placid in nature (except if food around and then hunting response switches on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back