Seeing the world through rose coloured glasses?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.................Anyway... What it comes back to... In order to be green to collect energy from sunlight, plants all need to be a specific colour for chlorophyll to react with the sunlight. And this wavelength of light is incredibly particular...

But is the uniform green of plants seen by each of us exactly the same, or is someone's green anothers red????

The second reason I hate my colour blindness was it prevented me from becoming an air traffic controller instead I became a teacher.... Punishment much!!!

Sorry to hear of your colour-blindness, that's an interesting one right there, which opens up a whole new bag of worms, so to speak. But with regards to this colour issue, one could also ask, do we all taste flavours the same? Why is it that some flavours are our favourites, when others just hate it, are they tasting the same thing, or does it taste different?
Same with smell, unless it is just that some people have degraded senses of smell, I can smell things around the house that my hubby can't, it's annoying, especially when it's things like the cats tray that needs emptying LOL.
I could go on all day, couldn't I?? :)

.... But with regards to this colour issue, one could also ask, do we all taste flavours the same? Why is it that some flavours are our favourites, when others just hate it, are they tasting the same thing, or does it taste different?
Same with smell, unless it is just that some people have degraded senses of smell, I can smell things around the house that my hubby can't, it's annoying, especially when it's things like the cats tray that needs emptying LOL....

Perception of odour and taste involves the mind as well as the body. There is a genetic basis to elements of smell and taste (which are very similar and interlinked). For example, because of a specific gene, some people can taste the substance PTC (phenylthiocarbamide) as very bitter, some as somewhat bitter and some not taste it at all. The genetics is not entirely straight forward – there are two common alleles (forms of the gene) and five rarer forms. Basically your sensitivity to the chemical is dependent on what pair of alleles you posses. It may also be affected by smoking and caffeine intake.

So what one person can smell and learn to ignore, another can find particularly strong and irritating. This is due to a combination of sensitivity of the receptors and perception in the brain. Lastly, and least likely to be playing a part, is the process of sensory accommodation. For example, you might be cleaning out the chook pen and when you first enter the pong is “odour incredibilis” (that should avoid an asterisk or two) but after a short while you don’t even notice the smell. Your brain automatically stops smelling it for you.

Blue

With colour vision there is a very simple test you can do with a group of people

Let them look at a group of objects of varying colour
Remove the objects
Give them a paint chart and ask them to match each object to the chart

The amount of variation in the replies will blow you away
Especially in the red/green areas

Now bring back the objects and do it again with the charts present
Most will match them perfectly
So although the colour they see may be different to what I see it doesnt matter
because it is still constant

I've really enjoyed this thread :D Thanks for posting.

I've often wondered the same thing

With colour vision there is a very simple test you can do with a group of people

Let them look at a group of objects of varying colour
Remove the objects
Give them a paint chart and ask them to match each object to the chart

The amount of variation in the replies will blow you away
Especially in the red/green areas

Now bring back the objects and do it again with the charts present
Most will match them perfectly
So although the colour they see may be different to what I see it doesnt matter
because it is still constant

I don't see how that would work...??

If 2 people looked at a green object, then were told to pick the corresponding colour from a chart, wouldn't they pick the same thing? Because even if their greens looked different, the colour of the object and the colour of the chart would still be the same to everyone.

I didn't explain that well... It's like, I don't see how someone would look at a ball that's blue, and then see the exact same colour blue, but think it's different?

It's kinda hard to explain (and nothing to do with colour blindness). It's all about perception.

I see green leaves, but if I viewing the world from someone elses head....then those leaves could be purple.

Is there any way to differentiate how people perceive things?
We're taught that leaves are green, poo is brown, and sky is blue, but MY version of green, brown, and blue might be completely different to somebody elses.

I don't see how that would work...??

If 2 people looked at a green object, then were told to pick the corresponding colour from a chart, wouldn't they pick the same thing? Because even if their greens looked different, the colour of the object and the colour of the chart would still be the same to everyone.

I didn't explain that well... It's like, I don't see how someone would look at a ball that's blue, and then see the exact same colour blue, but think it's different?

You are partially correct
With a colour chart in front of them they will colour match perfectly
But without the chart and the object together there will be lots of mistakes

Sorry to jump on there Schlumpe - just so you know it's just Kelvin not degrees Kelvin - it's degrees Celsius... But not degrees Kelvin.

But what is very funny - the first google for "Kelvin colour scale" comes up with degrees Kelvin (which is incorrect).

However, I am not entirely sure why the degrees symbol is used for the centigrade scale which is completely linear... If someone wants to clear that up for me I'm more than happy to hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back