Making Common Questions a Sticky

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentess

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am so over seeing the same questions asked over and over. As a lot of these people are new members who come onto the forum to ask a question, they generally don't think about using the search function.

I think it may be a good idea for the most commonly asked questions to have a well made up Sticky thread. Like for example, questions about keeping snakes together is a common one or questions about snakes refusing to eat. I don't know if it would really cut down the number of posts made on the same question, but it might.

Also, I think the "Show us your..." threads would be good as Sticky's.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

always has been and always will be for every forum out there repeatedly asked questions, its only the longer stayed members that are able to see the pattern ;)

having said that I'm willing to say it's worth a try it can in 'most' cases help people out, maybe nice big bold capitals for the 'help' section

only issue I can see is we might end up with 500 sticky's before any posts start, it's a fine line I don't envy the mod's for at all they have a tough job

Last edited:
Thanks Jax, but it's not always "newbies" asking the question, some have kept herps for a while but are new to the forum. Also the thread is not in herp help, which is where most will go to ask questions and help. Also, the original post doesn't have Q&A on the most commonly asked questions like my suggestion.

I just think that it might be a good idea to have a general "Q&A" sticky thread in the Herp Help section. The "Help My Snake Isn't Eating" sticky by Saximus is a good example, but it just covers one topic, I thought one that covers a lot of commonly asked question would be handy.

Can we make the "What should I call my snake" question a sticky???

Lol. That seems to be a common question indeed. I was thinking more helpful/important commonly asked Q's, like feeding questions, housing questions, etc.

ironic how there probably is another thread like this somewhere in the forums

"What should I call my snake" question

That question should be grounds for suspension or banning not made a sticky!

Surely if people have enough intelligence to fill out a licence
application they "should " have enough to be able to think up a name for their
own bloody snake!!

Last edited:
That question should be grounds for suspention or banning not made a sticky!

Surely if people have enough intelligence to fill out a licence
application they "sould " have enough to be able to think up a name for their
own bloody snake!!

Agreed another one that annoys me is I lost my snake. God dam it ppl.

Cheers Brenton

ironic how there probably is another thread like this somewhere in the forums
Kenny, that isn't exactly irony because this thread isn't asking a question that has already been answered about 500+ times.
Some of the topics I have referred to make a weekly appearance on this forum. That is what I am talking about.

The basic idea is that instead of having new forum members ask a repeat question and then having all the 'grouchy' forum members telling them "to use the search function" a simple sticky thread with the basic Q&A's of herp keeping would probably answer their question. The thread should also include a sentence advising them to use the search function if their question wasn't answered.

a simple sticky thread with the basic Q&A's of herp keeping would probably answer their question. The thread should also include a sentence advising them to use the search function if their question wasn't answered.

Frequently Asked Questions - Aussie Pythons & Snakes
as for search function advice, its suggested on every.single.thread. and how anyone would miss the ubiquitous white box on the top right corner is beyond me, perhaps add blinking lights and a finger pointing to it like a certain supermarket giant?

kidding aside, the naming threads are getting abit out of hand, i mean really, call it fluffy for all i care
for the "i lost my snake", perhaps add that into the FAQ's/Wiki considering how often (sadly) it pops up? like the measures you're supposed to do

I'm sure most new members are not aware of that FAQ page, I certainly wasn't as I don't use the wiki. Ok, so that makes the idea change. A sticky thread in herp help with a link to that FAQ page might be handy. Also good idea on adding information regarding lost snakes to the FAQ.

i dont know about you guys but i find the search funtion hit and miss as it just searches out the words and not phrases. you can type a question in there and have to filter through 200 different threads to find your answer , if there was a way to update the search function to recognise and search phrases, then i would agree there are alot of pointless threadshere. but until this is changed i say dont read them if you think its a pointless thread (you can usually tell by the title) like most i am just here to learn and its alot quicker to ask a dumb question in a dumb thread than to read 200 threads because they all contain 1 key word

It's the same as anything though isn't it; we can ask people to use the search function, read the instruction manual, buy the appropriate research material, Google it... follow the many hundreds of methods there are out there to find out what to do, where to go, how to do, what to name... and yet how many people really do it?
Lobby for a test to sit to actually get a license and you may make a difference, and then again you may not. Look at how many terrible drivers are on the road and think of how tricky it is to actually get a license to drive a car; if many people took the same attitude toward study, research and legitimately passing a test as they do toward getting out of doing it legitimately they may be surprised at how smart they really are.
Having said that, what you have suggested is a good idea. The problem is what you are working toward is changing human nature, and if sociology has taught us anything it is that humans are stubborn beings and well set in their ways. Most tend to brush aside active, individual searching for answers if someone else has already done it. Why else would 'caution, contains nuts' be written on airplane peanut packets?

Perhaps new people signing up could be directed to a whole page dedicated to stickeys to start with, sort of a "welcoming page" so they're forced into seeing them; on all topics, from the start.

searching for what you want is way easier then making a new thread and waiting for other people to tell you the answer and sometimes it takes days for the right information to be posted. things like click clacks, heating, feeding, not feeding, breeding, enclosure building and maybe even one that says "newbs click here" would be the smart way to do things but means a little more work for the webmaster

Bizarrely enough I think a few people would disagree with you there. I've seen many people say on this forum that the search function is 'too difficult' and 'didn't come up with the answers they wanted'. Whether or not it was pure laziness in not sifting through, or outright lying, neither of which really matters in the end. I think as reptile lovers we can all agree that what really matters in the end is the health and well-being of the animals involved, and if that means answering the same question a thousand times over, either online or in person, none of us who truly care really worry about doing so, even if we do occassionally have a whinge about saying the same thing over and over.
As I tried to say above though, I think people could really surprise themselves. If they put the same effort into scrolling through some info to find what they need as they do toward creating a thread and watching it like a hawk for over a week they could really surprise themselves.

Finding good threads these days on this forum is getting more and more difficult most of the long time active members seem to be suspended or choose not to comment most of the time it seems now the majority of threads are previously flogged topics it only takes a search of this forum 3 to 4 years ago that there was always interesting topics discussed amongst experienced keepers the hobby is Definetely changing so to is this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back