Clarification on Live Feed for Snakes in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not trying to start anything but what Im getting at is that its illegal to feed live "Vertebrates" to snakes as it can cause harm to the snake and could give them diseases/injuries is that right? lol im probably wrong... then why is it legal to feed them if they don't take dead food? wouldn't the facts stay the same the rodent can still cause harm to the snake or get a disease,
again not trying to be rude or anything just curious

its actually more based on causing unecessary stress to both parties (predator and prey) on top of injury, alot of emphasis is put on injuring your own pet cause some individuals wouldn't give squat on the distress on feeder animals and there are some horror pics of feeders fighting back, to put it roughly, you're more likely to care if your pet was/has the potential to be injured kinda thing.
also its viewed as inhumane to the feeder (i.e. rodent, chick, whatever), as on top of stress it does not guarantee a quick and painless death

the fact that this happens in nature is pretty much invalid, as civility dictates we treat animals, whatever their intended purposes are, with respect and a degree of dignity (interestingly, in uni they won't allow us to even dissect pre-killed rats or any other euthanised animals above the neck region because of this statement)

Last edited:
Truthfully you're never going to be prosecuted for feeding live. But for safety it is always better to feed fresh killed or thawed.

i understand feeding fussy snakes live foods but adults should not be fed live. I think its cruel and dangerous for your snakes. I just want to know if any1 takes pleasure in seeing the feeder die? Seems on youtube that the people feeding are loving it. I can understand appreciating it but geez no need for this

so does this mean the RSPCA are going to run out and save all the wild mice and rats and then go around feeding 'dead' food to wild animals? how is it cruel to feed captive breed animals live bait but not cruel in nature? isnt eating live food more 'natural' to snakes? wouldnt a wild snake risk being attacked by rats and mice as much as a captive snake? actually captive snakes could suffer less as owners would be able to monitor them closely

bunch of morons sitting in an office with nothing better to do to earn their weekly pay checks then to think up dumb laws and rules
:rolleyes:

its actually more based on causing unecessary stress to both parties (predator and prey) on top of injury and that doesnt happen in nature?

the whole point of it would be to prevent possible danger from a rodent fighting back and harming our snakes. In the wild this can happen and there is nothing we can do it is nature.. but for our captive snakes why would you want to take the risk.

its actually more based on causing unecessary stress to both parties (predator and prey) on top of injury, alot of emphasis is put on injuring your own pet cause some individuals wouldn't give squat on the distress on feeder animals and there are some horror pics of feeders fighting back, to put it roughly, you're more likely to care if your pet was/has the potential to be injured kinda thing.
also its viewed as inhumane to the feeder (i.e. rodent, chick, whatever), as on top of stress it does not guarantee a quick and painless death

the fact that this happens in nature is pretty much invalid, as civility dictates we treat animals, whatever their intended purposes are, with respect and a degree of dignity (interestingly, in uni they won't allow us to even dissect pre-killed rats or any other euthanised animals above the neck region because of this statement)

thanks for the info u sure know a lot

I believe feeding live is more natural then feeding pre-killed but I also would not risk any harm that could happen to any of my snakes by feeding live rats/mice to them. And uf u look at the price some snakes cost why would you want to risk the chance of them gettin hurt or killed by the rat/mouse

I dont want my snake hurt. So frozen it is. She eats er well. I seen a program once on this. 1 of the pionts it makes the snake less snappy if its frozen.They are not trying to catch and kill for 30 minutes

its not like snakes get freshly thawed out rats and mice and birds and not what in the wild so why not feed them to your snakes.... they will probably flog the living %$#@ ! out of them anyway....

what idiot is goin to be so dog and dobb yah in!

so does this mean the RSPCA are going to run out and save all the wild mice and rats and then go around feeding 'dead' food to wild animals? how is it cruel to feed captive breed animals live bait but not cruel in nature? isnt eating live food more 'natural' to snakes? wouldnt a wild snake risk being attacked by rats and mice as much as a captive snake? actually captive snakes could suffer less as owners would be able to monitor them closely

bunch of morons sitting in an office with nothing better to do to earn their weekly pay checks then to think up dumb laws and rules
:rolleyes:its actually more based on causing unecessary stress to both parties (predator and prey) on top of injury and that doesnt happen in nature?

You cannot compare wild snakes with captive ones.In the wild both prey and hunter are not stuck in a box/enclosure/etc with no chance of retreat.Even with captive snakes being monitored while being fed live prey will not alleviate the risk to the snake.It only takes a second for damage to occur.

:rolleyes:its actually more based on causing unecessary stress to both parties (predator and prey) on top of injury and that doesnt happen in nature?

In nature it is an ambush situation where the prey is not usually aware it is going to get grabbed by the snake. At home in an enclosure it would be acutely aware of it.

Ramsayi beat me to it.

its not like snakes get freshly thawed out rats and mice and birds and not what in the wild so why not feed them to your snakes.... they will probably flog the living %$#@ ! out of them anyway....

what idiot is goin to be so dog and dobb yah in!

The above statment shows a lot of immaturity in thought!

Basicly people that do the majority of live feeding are at best either "Lazy"
or get a kick out of the whole thing!

There is very little need to feed captive snakes live food at all, What it come down to is the keeper actually knowing and understanding the reptiles they keep! This in turn make all facets of husbandry easier!

The above statment shows a lot of immaturity in thought!

Basicly people that do the majority of live feeding are at best either "Lazy"
or get a kick out of the whole thing!

There is very little need to feed captive snakes live food at all, What it come down to is the keeper actually knowing and understanding the reptiles they keep! This in turn make all facets of husbandry easier!

everybody has there own say mate.

so am i one of those lay people huh, its nature mate get over it.

I know in the wild, its all part of the food chain and survival and all; but I don't feel that morally it has a place in captivity unless absolutely necessary.
I am a lover of all animals; aside from not wanting to run the risk of Ash getting injured - there's no way I would be happy to sit and watch that happen.
Just my 2 cents :)

I know in the wild, its all part of the food chain and survival and all; but I don't feel that morally it has a place in captivity unless absolutely necessary.
I am a lover of all animals; aside from not wanting to run the risk of Ash getting injured - there's no way I would be happy to sit and watch that happen.
Just my 2 cents :)

see beeman everybody has there say and you should respect that as i do even though traceylee is totally against my idea of things i still respect that!

anyway all my mates feed live and there snakes just flog them, i've fed my frogs live.....

I agree with Beeman. Saying that's what happens in the wild so it's obviously fine shows immaturity and a lack of understanding of husbandry. Rats don't just lay down and die while the snakes "flog the living **** out of them" as it was so eloquently put. They bite and scratch and do damage. That's not even considering the cruelty to the prey.

What do you guys do when you feed live and your snake decides it's not hungry? Do you spend a good couple of hours trying to recapture the prey item? You always see the 'my snake isn't eating' threads, and they're just lucky they happen to feed thawed and have no hassle with stressing both animals trying to catch the mouse/rat again. Or do you feed in a smaller empty enclosure so it's easier to catch? If the snake is one that won't eat while people are looking, would you leave it unsupervised with a lid on so it might eat? Even leave it in overnight maybe?
Live feeding may not be illegal, but it is cruel no matter how you try to justify it. And if you get all backed up and defensive it means you know you're not doing the right thing by your reps in feeding live.
That's MY 2 cents :)

-_- figure of speech Sax, I kinda figured it would take a while if the thing is terrified and running all over the place inside an enclosure. Would 'an extra 20 minutes' be better? I know I would probably take a while to do it. And if it's scared wouldn't it be just as likely to bite the person catching it too?

Nah they're easy to catch. Unless your enclosure is awkward to get into it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back