Clarification on Live Feed for Snakes in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its not like snakes get freshly thawed out rats and mice and birds and not what in the wild so why not feed them to your snakes.... they will probably flog the living %$#@ ! out of them anyway....

what idiot is goin to be so dog and dobb yah in!

Geez frogboy, you seemed so sweet and innocent in your photos.

A mate of mine had a female diamond that would only eat live prey. One day the diamond got bit by a jumbo rat causing a bad injury(stitches). After this she wouldn't eat live prey for 6 months and became quite thin. I suggested trying fresh killed. The look I got was funny, but he tried anyway. Since this day she will only take fresh killed and won't touch live. Must be the bogans that feed live for no reason other than it's wat happens in the wild

Geez frogboy, you seemed so sweet and innocent in your photos.

Yeah thanks!;) I hate photos of myself, only like taking photos, I have to put some more photos from my latest photo shoot with reptiles( just not of myself, lol )

From my experience and the experience of other snakey friends, if you feed live rodents to your snake it encourages them (teaches) them to bite you when you attempt to handle it! and sometimes if your snake grabes the rodent the wrong way the rodent can sink it's teeth into you snake and cause some real damage.

To all those stating it is not illegal read the above posts.
According to the prevention of cruelty towards animals act (POCTA) feeding live prey when the animal will accept killed prey (fresh or frozen) is against the law, and carries a maximum $100,000 or 2 years in gaol. These sentences are unlikely to be inacted as even people caught beating a dog to death are rarely given gaol sentences. The point is that it IS illegal, immoral, and unsafe.
It's all been said already above, glad to see the majority of people on this site have a brain.

IF you love your reptile and would never like to see it injured you would never feed live. We have a diamond here that was given to us from the vets. The scars this poor thing has, has to be seen to be believed. I am sorry, but, 'this is what they do in the wild' does not sit well with me...how many get killed/seriously injured in the wild??
As far as I am concerned it is just the ones that want to look BIG in front of their friends that would ever consider doing this.

It's not worth the risk to your animal to feed live. When people say "that's what they do in the wild" I always ask them if they feed their dog or can live? The answer is alway no "why would I do that" they seem to forget it's the same logic. In both cases it's not necesarry. Unfortunately the general public are idiots.

If you wanna get into the "oh but it's natural argument"....last time I checked living in an enclosure with artificial heating and a water bowl with humans expecting to be able to give it a cuddle isnt at all natural.

The prey (who is also aware of the predators presence unlike in the wild) can't get away, and the predator can't get away. It's a recipe for disaster and you'd have to be mighty naive to disagree, especially by using the above "argument" as your basis.

I'm sure snakes in the wild would love their prey pre killed and served warm on a silver platter if they can take it. Just like humans have to ability to hunt, skin, gut and cook meat, we more than likely go to the grocery store or maccas. Live feeding is risky, and uncalled for in captive snakes. Why put an animal through unnecessary stress like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back