Clarification on Live Feed for Snakes in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gayadari

Reaction score
Could someone please clarify for me whether it's legal to feed snakes live animals such as mice rats etc in NSW.

I've spoken to many snake keepers and have had varried answers.

As far as I know feeding live is illegal & in most cases completely unnecessary & cruel, putting both the rodent through undue stress & putting your pythons at risk of being hurt.
Why?

It is illegal to feed live, BUT apparently it is legal if Live is the only thing they will eat. By that I mean a live pinky or fuzzie to get a snake eating.
A larger rodent will fight back and I am sure you wold not want your snake injured or even killed by a rat or mouse.

I think you'll find most places wont sell you live food...unless your snake is used to it and your prepared to stand there and watch and jump in if anything goes wrong why? Knock it on the head and feed it fresh if you are worried about frozen food.

Its illegal to feed any invertebrate live, its a RSPCA thing, ive messaged the NSW licensing people and asked them and they said to contact the RSPCA..

Not only is it animal cruelty, its dangerous. The rat/mouse isn't going to just let a snake eat them they will defend themselves, either by biting or scratching. Also rats and mice can carry diseases' that when frozen all die.
Hope that helps.

As Fay said, if the animal will starve otherwise, you may use live, but it is a risk. This is a great reason to only buy snakes who are feeding on thawed rodents. There are plenty of other techniques to get them feeding, along with other foods to try like quail.

i am still to see any documentation that it is illegal, and each time i ask for such evidence no one ever puts it up.

While I agree about the cruelty and risks I am curious about vens,as I have seen a tiger chase a live rat and was more fascinated than horrified.

Maximum penalty--1000 penalty units or 2 years imprisonment.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), a person is taken to be cruel to an animal if the person does any of the following to the animal--
(a) causes it pain that, in the circumstances, is unjustifiable, unnecessary or unreasonable;
(b) beats it so as to cause the animal pain;
(c) abuses, terrifies, torments or worries it;
(d) overdrives, overrides or overworks it;
(e) uses on the animal an electrical device prescribed under a regulation;
(f) confines or transports it--
(i) without appropriate preparation, including, for example, appropriate food, rest, shelter or water; or
(ii) when it is unfit for the confinement or transport; or
(iii) in a way that is inappropriate for the animal's welfare; or
[SIZE=-1]Examples for subparagraph (iii)-- [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]placing the animal, during the confinement or transport, with too few or too many other animals or with a species of animal with which it is incompatible [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]not providing the animal with appropriate spells [/SIZE]
(iv) in an unsuitable container or vehicle;
(g) kills it in a way that--
(i) is inhumane; or
(ii) causes it not to die quickly; or
(iii) causes it to die in unreasonable pain;
(h) unjustifiably, unnecessarily or unreasonably--
(i) injures or wounds it; or
(ii) overcrowds or overloads it.
There is a number of relative legislation relating to animal cruelty. However what it comes down to in the end is that there is specific legislation regarding feeder animals. It gives an exemption which allows the feeding of live animals in certain circumstances where the life of the animal to be fed is in danger.

This part is under "exemptions" in the act.

43 Animals used to feed another animal

It is an offence exemption for an offence for a person if--
(a) the act that constitutes the offence involves using an animal (the food animal) as live food for another animal (the fed animal); and
(b) the food animal and the fed animal are both lawfully kept by the person; and
(c) the fed animal will only eat the food animal if it is alive; and
(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for the fed animal's survival.

There you go. Chuck one in, hope you get the two years. :)

Maximum penalty--1000 penalty units or 2 years imprisonment.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), a person is taken to be cruel to an animal if the person does any of the following to the animal--
(a) causes it pain that, in the circumstances, is unjustifiable, unnecessary or unreasonable;
(b) beats it so as to cause the animal pain;
(c) abuses, terrifies, torments or worries it;
(d) overdrives, overrides or overworks it;
(e) uses on the animal an electrical device prescribed under a regulation;
(f) confines or transports it--
(i) without appropriate preparation, including, for example, appropriate food, rest, shelter or water; or
(ii) when it is unfit for the confinement or transport; or
(iii) in a way that is inappropriate for the animal's welfare; or
[SIZE=-1]Examples for subparagraph (iii)-- [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]placing the animal, during the confinement or transport, with too few or too many other animals or with a species of animal with which it is incompatible [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]not providing the animal with appropriate spells [/SIZE]
(iv) in an unsuitable container or vehicle;
(g) kills it in a way that--
(i) is inhumane; or
(ii) causes it not to die quickly; or
(iii) causes it to die in unreasonable pain;
(h) unjustifiably, unnecessarily or unreasonably--
(i) injures or wounds it; or
(ii) overcrowds or overloads it.
There is a number of relative legislation relating to animal cruelty. However what it comes down to in the end is that there is specific legislation regarding feeder animals. It gives an exemption which allows the feeding of live animals in certain circumstances where the life of the animal to be fed is in danger.

This part is under "exemptions" in the act.

43 Animals used to feed another animal

(a) the act that constitutes the offence involves using an animal (the food animal) as live food for another animal (the fed animal); and
(b) the food animal and the fed animal are both lawfully kept by the person; and
(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for the fed animal's survival.

There you go. Chuck one in, hope you get the two years. :)

As underlined in red, the regulation exempts the "animal cruely " offence when it pertains to prey animals.

Last edited:
So why do pet shops sell feeder fish,used for turtles,etc,when there are substitutes

i am still to see any documentation that it is illegal, and each time i ask for such evidence no one ever puts it up.

Exactly and those crying cruelty are clutching at straws. It's a natural fact of life. Rodents are food for reptiles.

Good idea, no. Illegal? No.

Read point c. It's only a penalty exemption if the snake refuses to eat pre killed food.

(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for the fed animal's survival

I thought the diet of some pythons including Common (Green) Tree Snakes was also live fish,is this not a common practice? And just to clarify,all my pythons eat,and will always eat,thawed frozen rodents.I never would remotely entertain ideas of live or fresh kills,unless in extreme cases.

there is no need to feed an adult snake live food. I see alot of it on the net and hear alot of people doing it. I think it is sad.

I actually thought the same thing when i was told feeding live was illegal

cause fish aint furry and cute fuzzy wittle things

there is no need to feed an adult snake live food. I see alot of it on the net and hear alot of people doing it. I think it is sad.

the stuff some people post on youtube is prime example, sadly all you have to do is key a few words and a whole page pops up

not trying to start anything but what Im getting at is that its illegal to feed live "Vertebrates" to snakes as it can cause harm to the snake and could give them diseases/injuries is that right? lol im probably wrong... then why is it legal to feed them if they don't take dead food? wouldn't the facts stay the same the rodent can still cause harm to the snake or get a disease,
again not trying to be rude or anything just curious

dont think pet shops can sell feeder fish anymore. i asked at my local about 6 months ago, and he said they were not even allowed to call them feeder fish or have any written descriptions indicating they have feeder fish.

on a different note i heard on the radio a few days ago about cross bow fishing and it not being legislated as illegal or or inhumane as fish do not have the same animal rights as furry creatures, and they are trying to get a bill passed to have the same animal cruelty rules for fish, eg. when you catch a carp you could no longer throw it on the river bank and wait for it to die, you would have to kill it quickly and humanly causing no undue torment or pain

sorry to hijack the thread,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back