Ready to handle?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I got my yearling Mac on Saturday and I know you have to give them time to settle in but what are the signs that he is settled in enough to be handled? I know two days is only a short while and I am NOT after an answer saying it will take 'x' days, I want to know what behaviour etc to look for over the next while.

My sister has an albino darwin, they have had it for a long time now, and i've only seen them hold it twice...

Gruni its good to at lest get them to where they have a feed or two

I think once you see them moving around the enclosure a bit and not seem worried when you slowly sit next to it. Just move very slowly. I'm not sure what their eye sight is like but they usually know if someone is there....

If it's calm and not trying to bite you pick it up , if it's stressed and trying to bite you leave it alone .....

I generally leave my new additions alone for 2 weeks minimum without handling, and make sure it's had a feed before handling. but as the others have said, when it seems calm, out roaming and not trying to bite you, you could have a go at handling him/her. :)

Oh, and pics! :)

He's been exploring quite a bit ever since we got him home and has never seemed fussed about us approaching the tank for a look.

I thought I would get him out for a brief check over and get him used to our smells but when I tried to take him out he didn't bluff or try to bite he just got a really good hold of the heavy rock formation in the tank and pulled back against me, making it really clear he had no intention of coming out. When I handled him on Saturday he seemed really quite relaxed with me and didn't hold on tight to my hand or arm and just mozzied around on my arms.

As for pics... http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...aresia-maculosa-skittles-joins-family-180745/

Gruni, it is very difficult to give you a precise behaviours to look out for as each animal dispays different behaviours when they are comfortable in their environments just as they do when they are stressed. Antaresia can stop eating when they are stressed so it easier to go by consistent feeding in their new environment. For an Antaresia I would suggest consistant feeds are between 5-10 for a yearling (IMO). If he stops eating then stop handling.

I've had a childreni that cruised around, didn't bother using his hides day or night or worry about hands going in and out of the enclosure to change water or clean and was quite inqusitive but he didn't eat for weeks. In a click-clack next to him was another that stayed in his hide, only came out at night, was defensive if you put a hand in his click-clack, but was a voracious feeder. Neither were being handled and both were settling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back