Feeding question... Where's the bump

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goober

Reaction score
I just gave my diamond python a feed, his first since coming home. He went straight for it and gobbled it down but after i noticed he doesn't have much of a bump in his belly.
He's 4 months old and i was recommended to feed him 1 pinky every 7 days.
My question is, is this often enough and is it enough. He doesn't have much of a belly lump afterwards.

Can anyone help with my concern, i'd hate to think i'm under feeding him and the wrong size.

Cheers

Pinkie mice or pinkie rats?
If there isn't much of a bump, I would be moving him up to fuzzies or hoppers. still feeding every 7 days, try him on fuzzies and if there isn't much of a bump still, move him up again, but everyone has a different opinion of 'bump' sizes.
Do you have a picture at all of him eating that we can see a size comparison?

I'd be upping the food size to something a bit bigger and a bit more nutrition value, pinkies have little nutrition value they are basically skin and cartilage and there bones have very little calcium.. I'd be getting it on fuzzy or even hopper mice once a week.

Food should be about as thick as the thickest part of his body when he hasn't fed, at least that is the rule of thumb I was given. My guy is about as thick as the top of my thumb and so I took him from weener mice to half growns, he gets a nice size bump about 3/4 4/5 of the way to his tail tip when he has finished his feed. Mine is a yearling Mac.

Thanks for the responses. I think thry are pinkie mice. I have a photo of him eating and will try and upload it.

I have upped my yearling Coastal to Jumbo mice, he has a really good sized bump. I try and get mine onto something with bones and fur as soon as they are able, not only is it more nutritious, they tend to have more solid feces(from what I have noticed, not a poo'ologist)

another way is to weigh the snake and you should be feeding around 10-20% of it's body weight..

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/chit-chat-39/rat-mouse-size-comparisson-chart-159627/

Check that link out ^^ it will give you an idea on sizes..

I have upped my yearling Coastal to Jumbo mice, he has a really good sized bump. I try and get mine onto something with bones and fur as soon as they are able, not only is it more nutritious, they tend to have more solid feces(from what I have noticed, not a poo'ologist)

hahaha poo'ologist I like that.

I started my Darwins on fuzzy mice - not pinkies. By now they are on hoppers and weaners. Just up the food size. Your snake will put it all into growth.

Your photo links didn't work. Go into the Advanced option for posting a reply and use the paperclip to manage your attachments and 'place them inline' bottom right of the screen.

Up The food size If your worried Its to small Item should be bigger than the fatest part of the snake and bigger than the snakes head

i'm sure he could down a hooper mouse quite easily if not then fuzzies either way a pinky is definitely to small for that fella. alternatively you could feed him a couple pinkies. :)

Way too small. It would easily take a weaner mouse - in fact most carpets (including Diamonds) will take small weaners as a first meal - they actually prefer them to pink mice or rats.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back