How Far Can I "Move" My Snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
I've just received my license today and get my new snake (Coastal Carpet) tomorrow from a friend who can no longer have it.

Could someone help me understand the rules of the license in regard to moving the snake? In essence, the terms state that you don't need permission to move the snake off the premises if it's to take it to a vet, a meeting or show - as long as it's no longer than 72 hours.

So what if I want to, say, take it over one evening to show a friend. Or (theoretically) am holding it when I want to check the mail one metre outside my boundary. Neither scenerio involves a vet, a meeting or a show. Am I technically breaking the law?

Is it also correct that if I go away for an extended time, the only person who can tend to it in my absense is another licenced person?

Thanks for your help,
Mark.

If I'm heading away for an extended period of time, I take my snakes with me (usually if I go to my mothers place) or leave them with someone I can trust. It's against the law, but it's better than having a dead snake.

It's not as if I'm heading down to the supermarket with the snake on my shoulders. People on here will tell you that you'd be breaking the law, which you are... I personally would prefer to break the law and know that my snake is looked after, rather than leave it at home for over a month with no one to look after it.

I also don't think fines for taking a snake to your holiday home are given out with any sort of regularity :p

Any time you take your snake out with you..... you are on your way to a vet.... looking for a vet..... looking for a letter in your letterbox from a vet ;) If you have him on your shoulder at the supermarket, you are on your way to find a vet, but had to stop and get him some water on the way :lol:

I think the real problems start when you cross borders. Your license covers you in your state only. I am sure if you lived in Taree and have a holiday house on the gold coast where you spend 6 months of the year and take your snake with you, there must be something in the wildlife licensing act to allow this. Communication between you and the wildlife dept in your state (or both states) would be the answer.

If you were changing addresses or staying with friends or relo's (couch surfing) I guess you would just have to notify the dept of your change of address each time?

You just have to be sensible.... you can take your snake for walkies on your lawn. If you do it on the FRONT lawn, in plain view of the road and footpath.... someone might be driving by and freak out (or not concentrate) and crash. You are technically not doing anything illegal (I guess) but you may be proved to show poor judgement as to where on your property you chose to walk snakey. Someone MIGHT point the finger at you causing an accident? Right or wrong, best not to put yourself in that position.... stay out of the spotlight imo

Last edited:
You need to use some commonsense there. I really don't think DECC are interested in picking people up for minor issues such as taking them to a vet - even if you live on a state border. I guess they have the right to ask for paperwork but how many of you have ever been asked for it. I had a python that spent two weeks at the vet. That isn't change of address. She was sick and hospitalised. However, if you go harassing people with your scaley friends then you might find yourself in a bit of strife. Reptiles, snakes especially, aren't everyone's cuppa tea. Keep your interest out of their face.

What if i live in NSW and the vet is in QLD?, Does the vet ask for paper work? and whats the law?

You'll need import export permits. Not because they cant make an exception but because your obviously a troublemaker.

I think you can get away with just about anything.... except, if you do something that is deemed using your snake for 'public display' purposes.... IE, walking in public with your animal, some wowser will dob you in and you might get yourself in trouble :rolleyes: You have to work out where you think the line is..... taking it to friends place (in private) cant see a real drama.... but driving around with it on your shoulder would be a different story if a cop or wowser sees you do it :facepalm:

your friends can come over and see the snakes at your house, there is no need to take it to them and there is less stress on the snakes. if you're checking your mail put the snakes back in their enclosures, there is no rush the mail aren't going anywhere and less stress on the postie if he's still around. as for going on holidays anyone who can follow instructions can look after the snakes they don't have to be licensed.

I think the law relates more about minimising the opportunity for the escape of your herp, and it having a possible impact on wild stock or other animals native to the area.
Its illegal to release captive herps into the wild. (not including special circumstances i.e Tasmania and their (waves hands in the air)"crazy" laws.)
So it is expected that if you keep reptiles, you are always keeping them "captive" thus eliminating risk of them escaping into the wild.
My interpretation anyway.

lolz that was a serious question btw but thanks :)
My serious answer is that if your snake needs to see a vet and your preferred vet is over the border then you are within your rights to take your snake to that vet without getting any paperwork prior. The vet certainly wont ask you for any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back