Just lost my second ATC-210 Dimming Thermostat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
Again, and after only a 'day or two' of operation, I've had my second (replacement for the first) ATC-210 Dimming thermostat fail from Australian Reptiles.

I am using it to run a bank of 4 enclosures. One heat globe and one light globe per enclosure. These plug into separate power boards, one for heating, and one for lighting, which then plug into the respective receptacles of the thermostat.

The first one failed after one week and just continued to heat 24/7. The second one has just failed altogether and does not turn on when plugged in.

I wouldn't have thought this would be an overload, unless I've just been very unlucky with my two units.

It's been a long time since I received the replacement, and only just decided to use it. Unfortunately my confidence in this unit is now very low.

Just after advice, experiences or recommendations, either from users or manufacturers.

Attachments

• 4129194.jpg
    4129194.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
i use 2 of them and there often blowing fuses.. just unscrew it and check the fuse .. mine were using 3 amp fuses so i now use a 5 amp fuse and had no problems so far, in saying that ive also had the lower model but the resisters caught on fire so watch them carefully, my best advice is change brands tho :) GL

PS. using a higher fuse may increase the risk of a fire so prob safer to not take my risk ... just stating what ive personally done :)

Last edited:
Ive been using them for a while.

The first one went a year or so ago. It kept makine that high pitch alarm sound and flashing error. I got that replaced within the warranty period, but now the other is doing it also after about 18months.

Pity, they seem to do the job and are value for money. Dont know what to do now!

whats the total wattage all the globes/lights are using?
Also heat globes dont work with dimmers very well when a heat light blows it can fry out the thermo
most including the atc210 user guide/electrical statistic booklet advises against using heat light usage in favour of ceramics/cords and mats,it might be that?

Nato

p.s i got mine from proherp and havent had an issue with mine:)

By the sounds of it, its not the best brand to go for. I only use Habi-Stat and they've worked well for me.

I use a few of them on some of my gtp enclosures i have 6 x 75watt heat panels on one and never had a problem, i have been using them for 3 years know and my first is still powering along.
It maybe something wrong with the wiring or as metioned above using them for globes.

I've always read that dimmers are best for globes, as they're not constantly turning them on and off. My total heat wattage is 600w, (4 x 150w globes), and they're only on 10am - 4pm. I've got a couple of ceramics, but prefer globes for the visual indication they are working.

If the globes aren't suitable, I would imagine they would just blow, and not the thermo unit. I've got dimming Habistats, Microclimates and budget timers from Bunnings, but the ATC was just convenient with all features in one unit, plus a display.

when they work the atc is friggen great, i love it but so un reliable. i had one go from day 1 got it replaced and now it works great with ceramic heater and fluro uv. there is a seller on the trading post who is selling them for 100 bucks :). i just bought one and he seems genuine. ill let you know if i recive it lol. i would be happy to pay 200 bucks for the same type of unit if i knew it was bullet proof. i dont understand why someone hasnt made one yet. how hard can it be?? is there the same thing in any other brand??

I have half a dozen and never had an issue. Touch wood
They have a circuit breaker between the light and thermo
I also have one large pure sine wave UPS on the mains power before going to the thermos
Have a habistat thermo that plays up every year but brian from hero shop has fixed it every time
I guess I have just been lucky with some and unlucky with another.

This is why we stopped using thermostats...... expensive, fire risk, overheating snake risk.......:rolleyes:

We use them and have been very happy with them (after initial scratching head set up probs which were rectified quickly with a re-set after set up)

We've had them for about 2 months. Using fluro for light and 200w ceramics for heat.

We use a Spyder Robotics Herpstat.
has nite drop function, dual outputs, alarms you can program to go off or not go off and has been absolutely perfect.
I have mates that have also had probs with ATC's, however in fairness, I do know a lady that has always used them and never had a problem...
So far, for us, the Herpstat has been sweet.

We use a Spyder Robotics Herpstat.
has nite drop function, dual outputs, alarms you can program to go off or not go off and has been absolutely perfect.
I have mates that have also had probs with ATC's, however in fairness, I do know a lady that has always used them and never had a problem...
So far, for us, the Herpstat has been sweet.

what model did you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back