Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calico... haha we can all dream. Definitely a nice looking coastal. I have to agree with what was said above in that a couple years ago it would have been labeled a low quality hypo. I'm not trying to be an ***, I'm just calling it as it is.

On a side note, SXR didn't 'discover' the Caramel morph, it was 'discovered' overseas and took a plane ride over the big blue with the Jags.

Calico... haha we can all dream. Definitely a nice looking coastal. I have to agree with what was said above in that a couple years ago it would have been labeled a low quality hypo. I'm not trying to be an ***, I'm just calling it as it is.

On a side note, SXR didn't 'discover' the Caramel morph, it was 'discovered' overseas and took a plane ride over the big blue with the Jags.

When I first saw it I though it was just a hypo, I wanted to buy a diamond of him but something made me stop and have another look. After some discussion I saw the grandmother which he described as scruffy she had a lot more white with the same creepy eyes. I ended up with here cause I like different and over the last couple of years she has started to get a lot more white flecks coming through. So it will be some time before I know it is inheritable for sure. As for caramels. . just looks Hypo

No if I was starting a fight I would have told you straight - you and me at the shelter sheds after school, it's ON;). No one besides roger commented on the Anery's and seeings as you pm'd me for more pics as you had "a few projects going" you should know that only 1 is partly grey and both have blue and aqua pigment (a common traight in Anery's. Any who i guess you wont be presenting the results of your projects for a while or are ya gonna do it safe . . . and just do Jags]

Yes I did pm you after more "anery" photos but just like your "calicos" you refuse to share any real information apart from a photo. And I don't own any jags but please explain if I did how it would be " doing it safe"? Even if you have a jag that is sightly different it would still take generations to prove it out, or didn't you google that bit?

Last edited:
No if I was starting a fight I would have told you straight - you and me at the shelter sheds after school, it's ON;). No one besides roger commented on the Anery's and seeings as you pm'd me for more pics as you had "a few projects going" you should know that only 1 is partly grey and both have blue and aqua pigment (a common traight in Anery's. Any who i guess you wont be presenting the results of your projects for a while or are ya gonna do it safe . . . and just do Jags]

Yes I did pm you after more "anery" photos but just your "calicos" you refuse to share any real information apart from a photo. And I don't own any jags but please explain if I did how it would be " doing it safe"? Even if you have a jag that is sightly different it would still take generations to prove it out, or didn't you google that bit?

You asked me for more pics on the"calico" I had already sent you some, I told you I would be updating my albums over the week and you were one of the people that made me decide to post some pics in a thread. Obviously the Jag comment went over your head and sorry but no amount of playing with your Google can help you with that one.

You ask people's opinion but still won't provide any information about the line. Youre more worried about having a go at people that ask question so why post? And the reason I asked for more photos of the "calico" is because I couldnt see why it was a calico, when it looks like a normal coastal

Last edited:
I find it very interesting to read these threads to hear peoples opinions & find out more about some of the potential colours out there, it is very interesting.
Personally i believe that there is possibly more colour morphs out there than what some might think to believe.
Just because someone has not bought someones line of whatever snake they coined the phrase does not mean that one could not come up with that colour in thier breeding as it is possible to produce the same thing with the right snakes.
However as others have said, the genetics need to be proven to be able to say for sure that is what they are, otherwise they are just another nice snake. I have been through this myself.
As with new colour morphs, i believe that we have only just starded. As someone mentioned the Banana Pied BHPs who says that they don't exist, they just have to be refined & the genetics proven. There is a lot out there yet to be discovered.

It apears to me that when you have proven the genetics it seems acceptable to call them whatever you like.

Cheers
Ian

From the pictures you posted looks as though you have a hypo coastal there are several different colour/pattern varients nice looking coastal though

What everyone is trying to say is that this possibly isn't the best time for anyone to tell you it's calico or not...

Go and breed this animal to the male you have lined up, grow up several hatches, put one back over your coastal, grow up them babies, that should keep you busy for several years.

Then come back on here with all the evidence and then you will get a lot more accurate response.

May not be what you want to hear but let's at least hope you react better then you did with this thread when it comes to hearing news you don't want to believe.

Alot of breeders believe they have something special and everyone does, some produce some really nice new morphs and others just get some great pets which is special to them but not technically anything special in the morph snake would.

Unfortuantly it appears although your coastal may be a great pet it isn't a new morph as myself and a lot of members in this hobby have seen coastal carpets with a lot more white and signs of calico development then your animal, the owners of these snakes jut know its how some coastals look and don't think anything of it.

As I said try breeding you may get lucky, but it doesn't look like it at the moment.

Beethoven had his crytics, see if you can name three of them...

Good luck

Sorry mate but as someone else said a low quality hypo. I personally wouldn't even call it a hypo. Take some time and look at some of true blue's hypos or gozz's and you should realize what's what.

Very nice looking coastal btw

Dan

Without wanting to start an arguement, i also believe that there is/can be different shades/colour hypos.
Some more hypo than others & depending on the genetics can be super form.

But hey i might be out of my depth here, i am still trying to learn all this myself.
Personally i don't want to say what type of snake it is Kam333, i reckon it is a Coastal though.

Cheers
Ian

It seems to me that as I read through this thread I am seeing a pattern. So maybe to put a stop to the cycle we re-cap and clarify :?

Firstly is this a proven morph? - no and no I do not think it is a Calico in the classic sense.
Yes it does have a hypo like appearance, but the reduction in melanin is not all that is going on, it's an overall reduction in pigment. No I am not comparing to Hypo's, this is not a Hypo thread.
Yes I do have a reason to call it a calico. After seeing a wide variation in Calico's including a retic that was Calico and had a similar hypo like pattern. What I am seeing is hard to show in photo's and needs to be seen in person. The only way to describe it is that each scale has a reduction in all pigment some scales more than others including in it's eyes. Calico manifests itself differently even widely within the same species.
Do I have a reason to believe it is reproducible? yes I have seen the grandparent that displayed the same traits but by no means do I think that is sufficient proof. I have not concluded any outcome for this project as we can only wait and see.
Can I prove it? can only wait and see after the next few seasons.
Am I aware of the different modes of genetic inheritance? obviously or I would have been wasting my time.

There seems to be some standard behaviour formats when it comes to forums just like in this thread.
person A posts something.
person B responds.
person A responds
a number of others state the same as person B
Person A repeats what was already said to person B
then it turns into a merry go round with eventually someone telling the OP they are being defensive.

Kam333 what i would suggest is that if you know a person that you can trust with the apropriate knowledge on this sort of stuff, send them some really good photos & maybe even show the snake in the flesh. If you are able to get photos of the grandparents this may help.

It can be hard to get real informative response on a public forum, you asked the question & got the response.
I cannot help you other than what i said or piont you towards someone who might give an honest opinion, but without trying to breed the trait further it would be hard to say it is one thing or another.
I hope this helps

Cheers
Ian

These are the only true calico snakes i know of in Australia.

Attachments

• fabric_snakes_3.jpg
    fabric_snakes_3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 84
Maybe you could post a photo of a calico retic you think it holds some resemblance to.

Best thing said yet!

I dont have time to search the internet for the original pics but I did a quick look and these were the first to pop up. What you see going on in these pics appears to be an extreme version of what i have seen in mine. naturally seeing what i have in the flesh makes it easier.

Attachments

• 2007_0901mypics0013.jpg
    2007_0901mypics0013.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 139
  • BS_2005Gatorboy_calicoRetic.jpg
    BS_2005Gatorboy_calicoRetic.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Can I prove it? can only wait and see after the next few seasons.

They fact that you think you are going to prove it out in a few seasons and not a few generations shows you have no idea. It would take atleast three generations to prove out.

They fact that you think you are going to prove it out in a few seasons and not a few generations shows you have no idea. It would take atleast three generations to prove out.

Is this turning into a mine is bigger than yours. . . cause obviously mines bigger.

what you are doing is being unnecessarily pedantic. A few is more than one and could imply many, not to mention Calico's dont reveal the gene until maturity. Be constructive in your comments, dont just look for ways to try and belittle me. Comment on the pics or add some intelligent insight into the complex biochemistry that manifests itself as the "calico" gene.

Is this turning into a mine is bigger than yours. . . cause obviously mines bigger.

what you are doing is being unnecessarily pedantic. A few is more than one and could imply many, not to mention Calico's dont reveal the gene until maturity. Be constructive in your comments, dont just look for ways to try and belittle me. Comment on the pics or add some intelligent insight into the complex biochemistry that manifests itself as the "calico" gene.

Alot of people have given you intelligent insight and asked for more info but you refuse to listen. It is not calico it's a NORMAL coastal that alot of people have seen before the coastal you have is hypo with peppering and some striping. But looking at your album on your profile you have a nack at naming normal looking animals as some new morph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back