Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To get back on topic, there is so little known about the genetics of calico animals that many doubt that it is even genetic at all.
Blackheaded pythons are a classic example.

Dan

Agreed Dan, it was a hard subject to study and from what I understand there has not been anyrRetic het to het pairing that have resulted in Sibs displaying calico traits,. . .(disclaimer) I could be wrong

Following Roger's train of thought, here are a couple more hypos

This one does not have a solid black scale on her body:

raya1.jpg

raya2.jpg

This is one of Rob's hypo's, never in a million years would you refer to it as calico, only a *beep*hot hypo.

robs.jpg

Also to me and many others , this is what a calico carpet python may look like. Obviously this is a paradox albino but the pattern is very calico looking.etc
Pic taken from thread below .
paradox2.jpg

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/paradox-albino-darwin-carpets-176222/

Last edited:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Above are 3 sibs ages at 5 months showing how variable the hypo trait can be etc ..
Cameron , i believe the flecking or peppering look is highly variable within the hypo trait.
You describe your hypo coastal as a calico look ,but to me and a lot of others it just looks like a hypo coastal . This is why your getting these responces . etc

Im keen to see this anery coastal you have ? Any pics ?
cheers
Roger

Hey Roger

i agree with the Hypo's and the variations. . I owned a stunning peppered snake that appeared like chocolate sprinkle ice cream.

My reasoning was this snake has a pigment deficiency that causes a washed out effect that is impossible to photograph. It is also hard to say if the white on the flanks are part of what would have been her unaltered pattern or if it is part of the hypo aspect. I have plenty of coastal's with a lot more white just not in such a disjointed fashion. . . the only way to describe it would be to say that she was white paper and the inkjet printer was faulty. . . .
I will pm you some pics and details of the Anery's.

Aaron thats a cracker hypo. ...

I look forward to that pic and PM Cameron.

Heres a adult carrying the hypo trait. But i would not call is calico looking. She does have a full white belly and as she ages the yellow is fading and revealing the whitr creamie colours under the yellow pigment. But i would not describe her as a calico look etc.

caramelfemaleadultresized.jpg

Last edited:
Aaron thats a cracker hypo. ...

I look forward to that pic and PM Cameron.

Heres a adult carrying the hypo trait. But i would not call is calico looking. She does have a full white belly and as she ages the yellow is fading and revealing the whitr creamie colours under the yellow pigment. But i would not describe her as a calico look etc.

caramelfemaleadultresized.jpg

That is nice
icon11.gif

It even has the funny degenerating pigment in the face . . . . I have a couple that that.
What you showed as a Calico is obviously a Paradox but I agree that the extreme examples of calico retics can look like that.
on the other end of that spectrum are snakes that by all accounts are normal with a minute splash of white, sometimes to the point of it being unnoticed.

Cameron as hypos age they change drastically .
Heres some more progression pics of the the adult hypo above..
Here she is at about 8 months old.
HypoCoastalfemale.jpg

Here at 2 years old.
hypofemaleresized.jpg

Some nice snakes there guys.
Kam333 there is a lot that i agree with you, but not about the calico yet? & please don't flame me just my opinion.

I reckon that we have only just scraped the surface of genetic morphs here yet, now not talking about jags or intermediates or any thing like that. Look at the albino & marbled ants as an example. It is only a matter of time until breeders pick up different traits in thier breeding & then further produce that trait with line breeding or whatever you want to call it.
Allready talking snows,axanthics,sun glows & look at the marbles.

Imagine pieds,pearls,lavander,ocelletos or however you spell it,albino pearls wouldn't that be something. What about lavander pearl albino, can that happen? Anyway i know bugger all about it but i hope that i am here to see some of these.
It is only a matter of time in my opinion as a lot are striving for that something different to provide the hobbyist. & all can be pure animals just with the colour trait bred into them.

OK now i am ready for a shafting.

Cheers
Ian

Some nice snakes there guys.
Kam333 there is a lot that i agree with you, but not about the calico yet? & please don't flame me just my opinion.

I reckon that we have only just scraped the surface of genetic morphs here yet, now not talking about jags or intermediates or any thing like that. Look at the albino & marbled ants as an example. It is only a matter of time until breeders pick up different traits in thier breeding & then further produce that trait with line breeding or whatever you want to call it.
Allready talking snows,axanthics,sun glows & look at the marbles.

Imagine pieds,pearls,lavander,ocelletos or however you spell it,albino pearls wouldn't that be something. What about lavander pearl albino, can that happen? Anyway i know bugger all about it but i hope that i am here to see some of these.
It is only a matter of time in my opinion as a lot are striving for that something different to provide the hobbyist. & all can be pure animals just with the colour trait bred into them.

OK now i am ready for a shafting.

Cheers
Ian

Ian, turn around bend over and brace your self. . . it wont hurt to much ;).

due to running out of time (yes I really do have to get back to work) I wont be posting on here to much. (it's ok citrus I'll still pm you)
So I guess now discussion is happening on the subject I will explain my thoughts on this whole Calico idea.
So firstly I understand everyones thinking about the Hypos. . . they were around before the morph craze, have even own a few and was lucky enough to live were the local population was predominantly Hypo.
Calico's in any species is a complex and unknown if not even to a large degree unproven. I have read and discussed many theories as to how it manifests itself but there are additional probs like needing to wait till maturity to see if it is present. In Ball pythons it usually displays as some white along the flanks of a normal looking snake. This can range from a white dot to covering the full length along the edge.images.jpg female_2009_cinny-calico_cinnical.jpg Yes this actually considered a calico.

Python_regius_calico_pastel.jpgwanna1.jpg and the variations go on endlessly (kinda like this thread)

Retics display it from as little as nothing more than fading patchesDSC02449.jpgDSC02448.jpg with variations between snakes,silver1bl4.jpg
Then it becomes more Hypocalicof1ql8.jpg BS_2005Gatorboy_calicoRetic.jpg

to the extreme of this resembling the paradox albino carpet that roger showed
jpg~0.jpgcalicofemale73933.jpg

So as we see there is no definites and no real way to gauge this morph . Which brings me to the point I started this thread as I feel a lot (not all put down the ballistics) of Morph collectors are not considering that there are things going on that we might be missing. I think this threads reaction only reinforces that belief. Instead of quickly dismissing me it might pay to ask me why in my right mind I would think the snake I posted could be a Calico.
I will stress the word might and I will also stress it is used in the broadest sense possible. From word go I made mention that I used the term Calico as it has a few things going a bit different to your standard Hypo.
If you look at the great variation between species then it would not be hard to speculate that in the Carpet python (which we have not seen) it could manifest itself in any manner that we have seen or then again it might be different again. So she is hard to photo and without to seeing her it is hard to see what Im seeing but here is a go.IMG_9625.jpgIMG_9623.jpg

The whole matter is trivial and it is not a high possibility but there may be something more.
I will hopefully be breeding her this year, it will not be to her brother as I no longer have him. I dont expect to have any answers for a while but I will say if it turns out to be something great if not she's still a wicked looking snake.

Last edited:
The last two photo's look alot like the same kind of patterning my bredli boy has - I have no idea how to describe it, but wouldn't really call it calico.

Attachments

• P1010899.JPG
    P1010899.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 159
The last two photo's look alot like the same kind of patterning my bredli boy has - I have no idea how to describe it, but wouldn't really call it calico.

No I wouldnt call it Calico either but it is interesting you might be able to do something with it.

due to running out of time (yes I really do have to get back to work) I wont be posting on here to much. (it's ok citrus I'll still pm you)
you really are infatuated with me arent you. :shock: creepy

Well I think She is Gorgous!!:lol:!! Calico Hypo what ever she is a Stunner;)!!!!!
Wish I had Her!!

Have you bred this morph yet i like very much

Unfortunatley some exprerienced keepers have offered their advice and now it has turned into one of those "blah blah" , "NO, blah blah" threads. I would hosestly listen to the likes of Roger, he is very experienced with morphs. But if you want to find out as much as you can on carpet morphs i would pm Larks or morelia magic.

I have bred a number of coastals that look the same as the one pictured, all have turned out to be beautiful coastals, but just coastals.

Roger summed it up nicely, you need to proove the mode of inheritence before you can slap a name on it.

I was going to say that I have seen some carpets of yours that look like that Darren.
Sometimes pattern anomalies can be put down to temp fluctuations when incubating, if it is actually something different and a inheritable condition then as others have said it needs to be proved out by breeding.
Nice looking carpet whatever it turns out to be ;)

this is stressful to read, snakes are snakes and thats a pretty one, call it a screwball n id still pay good money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back