Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just too expensive for substrate that is messy & smelly. Yes looks very pretty, actually my enclosure looked amazing when I had it in but SOOOOO messy. I'll Stick to the good old lining base of enclosure with butcher paper & topped with kritter crumble. My 5c worth! :D

Crystal..Discus,
Thanks for your efforts to date and sharing your experiences and observations. Much appreciated.

My specific chemistry knowledge in this area is very limited.
Whatever they have used will not, by its very nature, be water soluble.

There are a range of organic hydrophobic chemicals That are produced naturally through decomposition of organic compounds. That is why soil with a lot of old organic matter that has been allowed to dry out completely is hard to rewet. Yet add some detergent and it will wet straight away. The detergent effectively "dissolves" the hydrophobic chemicals the same way it helps to "dissolve" fat. Technically, it emulsifies them allowing water to then move them.

Whether it is organic or otherwise, it is apparent that the detergent is removing the hydrophobic coating. I must say, it sounds like it might be organic in origin if it is producing a greasy residue. But that is just an opinion.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't share what is added for fear of others copying it, I have spoken to them personally about it and they're keeping quiet. They are confident that it does not harm the animal though and claim to have been using it in some of their enclosures for years.

Cheers for that Rahni :)

To clarify, I'm not upset or really surprised that there is a "secret ingredient." I don't think I wasted money, and the idea was driven by the desire to improve life for our reptilian friends. My animals aren't sick or any worse for wear. My Woma python seems a little lost without something to burrow into (she's on newspaper for the time being.) However, Financially, I just can't afford it. Given that I can't wash and re-use, it doesn't provide the same longevity as other substrates I could use.

....However, Financially, I just can't afford it. Given that I can't wash and re-use, it doesn't provide the same longevity as other substrates I could use.
I would suggest soaking it in hot water in a bucket for 10 mins or so, then agitating it in the bucket to clean it. Tip of the dirty water and repeat until the water is clear. Tip it out on a bit of knitted shade cloth to dry and sit in the sun for a day. That will provide sterilising without having to use chemicals which might contain a solvent for the water-repellent chemical. That should make it re-useable. The only thing I can think of that might muck that up is staining due to bile in the faeces. Worth a try.

Blue

What is it?

Are there domesticated crystals?

Is it granular? How can water pool if it's granular?

Can a bhp or woma burrow in it?

Why would you replace it and why only twice a year?

etc etc
i have it its basicly calcium crystal substraite

I think it is great stuff and clean up is so easy now, my bredli thinks it's the bomb and I don't have the feeding problem yet as she eats hanging from her house or log.
It's calcium carbonate and it comes in 3 different grades, course, medium and then fine which is actually really good, not like sand at all

Okay, I have read through this thread and their website - I'm looking at ordering some (and just bumping up this thread)
Has anyone else bought it since Crystal..Discus' review? What do you think of it??

Agreed, I was thinking about using it but after reading this thread i'm re thinking that now, it would be good to hear other long term users thoughts on the product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back