Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PicklePants

Reaction score
I've just been reading about the Wild Crystal substrate and have a few questions that you may be able to answer for me.

1. Does it stick to the animal like sand can? I'd like to use a more natural looking substrate in my tanks, but I don't like the mess that sand can make.

2. How long can you use it for before it needs to be changed?

3. Being water repellant, can you/how do you clean it?

4. Would you recommend it?

Thanks guys,
D.

i got some at the last festival and it is great.

1. it does stick a little if ur reptile has been in its water dish or is wet etc but not like to its entire body and as soon as ur reptile is dry the little bits fall off.

2. is ment to only need to be changed twice a year.

3. the water makes a little puddle ontop of the substrate and all u need is a paper towel and u dab it up, is so easy.

4. i recomend it as it is also able to be digested if the reptile eats it and it looks great!!!

IMG_0718.jpgIMG_0651.jpg boofy (bearded dragon) just came out his water bowl and see how only a little bit stuck to him. brings out to colours in them nicely =) i think it is the only stuff i will use from now on.

Have you checked their web site? It's packed with information: [no links thanks ]

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks cool!! I would like to give it a go but would like to here if anyone else has used it?! Any problems?!

i got some at the last festival and it is great.

1. it does stick a little if ur reptile has been in its water dish or is wet etc but not like to its entire body and as soon as ur reptile is dry the little bits fall off.

2. is ment to only need to be changed twice a year.

3. the water makes a little puddle ontop of the substrate and all u need is a paper towel and u dab it up, is so easy.

4. i recomend it as it is also able to be digested if the reptile eats it and it looks great!!!

View attachment 226460View attachment 226461 boofy (bearded dragon) just came out his water bowl and see how only a little bit stuck to him. brings out to colours in them nicely =) i think it is the only stuff i will use from now on.

Agree with jakawak, I won't use anything else. Usually stick to the natural colors but the last lot I mixed yellow with a little black to match the backing on my beardies new homes.

Deb

I've been using it for just over 6 months for my woma. It's been good. It's supposed to be digestible but I put paper towels down before I feed him anyway. The only thing that's annoying about it is that when he sheds, he tends to break the skin into several pieces dragging it along the substrate and I have to pick up all the bits of shed he leaves all over the place.

It's super easy to clean up when they poo, or spill their water bowl. I need to change it for fresh stuff now, but I swear it looks as good now as it did the day it went in 6 months ago.

What is it?

Are there domesticated crystals?

Is it granular? How can water pool if it's granular?

Can a bhp or woma burrow in it?

Why would you replace it and why only twice a year?

etc etc

What is it?

etc etc
They have a site that explains allllll

if u go to their website has lots of info on scientific stuff =)

What is it?

etc etc

On their site it says it reduces odours - how does this work if it doesn't soak anything up?????

I like the look of it and it shouldn't reduce the humidity up in the viv. I might have to give it a go.

Have it in two enclosures, and so far so good. My woma seems to love getting under it and digging through it.

I've been looking at getting it but can't decide on what size to get.

From what I've seen here most have got the sand grade for their Woma's and BHP's, but do you use the same for beardies or is larger ok too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back