Can I feed my Diamond every 3days

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SxcAy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I could feed my Diamond Python every 3 days he was born exactly on 5th-Feb-2012 (8 Months & 5 Days) and he is around 60cm long and I feed him Hopper Mouses so would be ok if I was to feed him at that rate?

I would be doing weekly feeds for him about now, how much does he weigh?
Might be able to determine what would best suit him in terms of food.
The food should be about 15-20% of the snakes body weight.
Hopper Mice might be too small for him.

Yes you CAN, but there is no need to feed a snake that often other then to make it grow incredibly fast (with potentially negative consequences). Remember snakes aren't built for regular and frequent feedings. If they were they wouldn't be designed to go so long without food!

He weighs exactly 52grams and the mouses are around 12grams is that good

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you CAN, but there is no need to feed a snake that often other then to make it grow incredibly fast (with potentially negative consequences). Remember snakes aren't built for regular and frequent feedings. If they were they wouldn't be designed to go so long without food!

What do you mean consequences what could happen :\

Last edited:
Google "power feeding snakes" read up about it and decide for yourself if is in the snakes interest.
It appears power fed snakes have shorter life spans. Though I couldn't find any studies to support this theory.

you just posted in one of my threads and how you starved your snake just so you could see it strike the mouse, and how you get so excited everytime with the whole feeding thing, there is no need to power feed your snake, from this thread and your comments in my other thread i have a feeling it is for your amusement only that you WANT to feed your snake every 3 days just so you can watch

Obesity is very common in captive snakes and affects their health. How would you know when it stop feeding it so often? In very baby snakes feeding them often is fine because they use the energy to grow, but when do they stop? Snakes aren't designed to eat multiple times per week for an extended period, so why do it?

Last edited:
you just posted in one of my threads and how you starved your snake just so you could see it strike the mouse, and how you get so excited everytime with the whole feeding thing, there is no need to power feed your snake, from this thread and your comments in my other thread i have a feeling it is for your amusement only that you WANT to feed your snake every 3 days just so you can watch
Yes I starved it so it strikes and mind you I only did it once

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to power feed my snake I was just curiose on if I could do it and what would happen if I was to, I keep my snake on a certain routine where I will buy a 10 pack of a specific size of a mouse and feed him every 5-7 days and when I do feed him I don't keep him in his captivity I move him into another but smaller captivity becuase if it get use to getting fed in its own captivity it may attack me one day by accident mistaking my hand for a mouse and its more hygienic for the snake.

You can feed it in it's enclosure, it won't mistake a hook for food... which is what most people use to get them out. If you want to see it strike though by all means make it hungry and stick your hand in there...

Feeding potentially twice a week is in most cases completely un-necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back