Spotted python feeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aedo88

Reaction score
Hi this is probably a silly question but anyway. Is it normal for a spotted python when feeding to not strike at the the pinky and coil it up, every other snake feeding video I see all the snakes strike and then coil???

also ive heard that you should feed your snakes in a seperate container. Ive also heard that you shouldn't touch them after they have been fed. how do u get them back into their enclosure? or do u leave them in there?

also ive heard that you should feed your snakes in a seperate container. Ive also heard that you shouldn't touch them after they have been fed. how do u get them back into their enclosure? or do u leave them in there?
you can feed them in a seperate container but i dont, if you use a fine type substrate and it gets all over the food then i guess you could feed in a tub, not the best idea to play with a snake after a feed if its a strong eater you would most likely get bitten you could hook them out and put them back in there main enclosure after also give it a few days to digest otherwise it could become stressed.

I feed my Spotted in her enclosure. Mine sometimes doesn't coil her food, just gulps it down :lol: As long as your baby is feeding, everything should be A-OK ;)

Sometimes mine are lazy like that. It's fine, as long as they eat.
As for feeding them in tubs, I don't, some of them are on coco-peat, I just make sure the food item is dry so stuff doesn't stick to it. Sometimes some of mine are a bit speshul, the big coastal in particular likes to mostly launch himself mostly out of the enclosure while striking at his food. I don't always have the time to stand there waiting for him while he eats half hanging out of his enclosure, so I pick him up while he's eating and pop him back inside. I've done this with the others, or for whatever reason I need to handle them while/just after they've eaten, I just avoid the food lump and keep it to the absolute bare minimum. I've never had a snake regurge, so it works for me :)

Would this be a good feeding chart to follow for a spotted python? I just found it on the net.

border="1" style="width: 644px"
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 65px" | Snake Size in Grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 65px" | Feeder Size in Grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 65px" | Common Feeder Name
| style="width: 128px; height: 65px" | Quantity of Feeders
| style="width: 131px; height: 65px" | Days Between Feedings
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 4-15 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 2-3 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 32px" | Pinkies
| style="width: 128px; height: 32px" | 1
| style="width: 131px; height: 32px" | 4
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 16-23 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 3-4 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 33px" | Pinkies
| style="width: 128px; height: 33px" | 2
| style="width: 131px; height: 33px" | 4-5
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 24-30 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 5-7 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 32px" | Sm. Fuzzies
| style="width: 131px; height: 32px" | 5-6
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 31-50 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 7-9 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 32px" | Reg. Fuzzies
| style="width: 131px; height: 32px" | 5-6
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 51-90 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 9-12 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 33px" | Hoppers
| style="width: 128px; height: 33px" | 1
| style="width: 131px; height: 33px" | 6-7
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 91-170 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 32px" | 13-20 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 32px" | Weanling's
| style="width: 131px; height: 32px" | 7
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 170-300 grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 20-30 grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 33px" | Young Adults
| style="width: 131px; height: 33px" | 7-10
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | Males and Non-Breeding Females
300+ grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" |
25+ grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 33px" | Adult
| style="width: 131px; height: 33px" | 10-14
|-
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | Breeding Females
300+ grams
| style="width: 125px; height: 33px" | 25+ grams
| style="width: 135px; height: 33px" | Adult
| style="width: 131px; height: 33px" | 5-11
|-

Thanks for the reply's, I just wasn't sure weather it is a bad thing or not

I feed my girl in the enclosure and when she grabs the food I play a brief tug of war with her. She busily coils her food since I have started this and she strikes more assertively too.

yes I have a soft spotted and it's not young. I'm just teaching it to strike and wrap. Presumably the previous owner just used to dump food in it's enclosure. I like a good food response, makes my life easier.

She gets excited when I open the lid with a pinkie but she will not take it from me

My BHP is like that, she will not take "hand fed" food, she will eat it when dropped in her enclosure.
My Spotted on the other hand, grabs and curls, she loves her food. I feed her in the enclosure also.

Hmmm I haven't had that with mine. When I got her she would just take it gently out of my fingers and she would take her time about it. Since doing the tug of war thing with her she has become a hunter. :lol:

I've noticed the spotteds tend to work up to striking their food as they get older whereas carpets are lightning fast gluttons from the word go!:)

I feed all mine in their cages and my spotted is so placid she will come to be right after a feed and sit in my lap or curl around the hand, so I think it's a bit individual on what you are wanting your snakes to get used to, and their overall temperament.

I always use to feed my spoted in a container ,after its had its rat take it out .tried bare hands and got biten then after that i used a snake hook.
Now i just feed him in his enclosure less stress for both of uss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back