Pair up snakes..... HELP.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coastalboy

Reaction score
Hi all, i am wanting to pair up my caramel coastals... BUT the female is very cage defensive. Every time i go to put him in, she strikes at him, i dont want her to bite him. is there a way around this?

Kind Regards
Nick.

Are you sure they are a pair? Maybe you have two males??? They can smell the difference...

i bought them off here. from SA. 1M and 2F. plus i have another F here. he goes in fine with them but this one girl is crazy! :/ i think she is just to food orientated?

try giving her a good feed, then wait till she is in the hide and put him in. but i think you should have her probed first just to make sure she is a female.

Ok thanks all, ill wait until she retreats away then ill try him.. I personally just think she is a pig! would it be helpful, if i get them both out and introduce while out then put them both back in? she is fine once she is out. "Her inclosure, is her inclosure" haha. ill get her probed again to be sure also.

First up its 'enclosure' (sorry to knit pick), secondly give her a feed if she's warm enough to be food orientated, give her a few days/week to digest it and then try putting her in his enclosure. If she's still agro i'd say you might have 2 males

Get them sexed, even though Coastal males are not usually aggressive with each other. If they prove to be a pair, remove the female from the enclosure and place the male in it. Keep the female in another container (a secure tub will do fine) for a few hours or overnight, and then introduce her back into the original enclosure (which now contains the male) during the early part of the day (when they are likely to be less interested in the extra activity). This should break the ownership thing she has going on, and allow the male to settle in somewhat and claim some of the space for himself.

Watch them very closely for a few hours for any signs of aggro.

Don't try it in the late afternoon or evening - this is when they are naturally more alert and will be inclined to react aggressively or defensively.

Jamie

That's good advice and a sensible approach from Jamie.

try giving her a good feed, then wait till she is in the hide and put him in. but i think you should have her probed first just to make sure she is a female.
If you decide to take Saintanger's advice to give her a feed prior to introducing them, then make sure that you only do so after a suitable time-frame i.e she must be well out of feed mode. After feeding they can remain in this mode for quite some time (hours rather than minutes), even though they have a bellyful. Whilst in this feeding mode, anything that moves nearby can receive a feeding bite. To be on the safe side, wait until at least the next day or even a few days before introducing the male. I wouldn't introduce food into the equation unless she is overdue for a feed or seriously underfed and therefore probably ravenous.

Thank you for all the information.

I recently fed her just the other night so she must still be in feed mode. I will introduce them again Monday Morning. What if i introduce her into his enclosure instead of moving him into hers?

I am a first time breeder.

Kind Regards
Nick.

If you have more than one female maybe just pair him with the calmer one for this year until you get her sorted. I bred my first clutch last year and I honestly think a steady as she goes approach is better than going in too big too early. Maybe one clutch this year and leave the troublesome female until you`ve had more experience. Just a suggestion.

Generally you don't have to cool females.

Jamie

I didn't know this Jamie. I've always cooled my female imbricata as well as my males. I know that it's needed for the males to produce viable sperm. I just figured it also triggered the females to ovulate at the right time?

I've always been pretty hit & miss with the girls, and it didn't seem to make much difference...
J

That's good advice and a sensible approach from Jamie.

If you decide to take Saintanger's advice to give her a feed prior to introducing them, then make sure that you only do so after a suitable time-frame i.e she must be well out of feed mode. After feeding they can remain in this mode for quite some time (hours rather than minutes), even though they have a bellyful. Whilst in this feeding mode, anything that moves nearby can receive a feeding bite. To be on the safe side, wait until at least the next day or even a few days before introducing the male. I wouldn't introduce food into the equation unless she is overdue for a feed or seriously underfed and therefore probably ravenous.

thank you i should have been clearer wen responding, after feeding her i would wait 24 hours so she is not still in feeding mode.

Thanks all for the advice. She is not skinny nor underfed at all (not saying you are blaming she is). I just generally think she is cage defensive. she doesn't know its him at all as she will sit there and the moment he goes near her and touches her she lashes out. not once has she actually bit him. ill take them both out tomorrow and introduce them in a tub or floor rather then her enclosure. Thank you all for the help, all you have supplied me with answers worth listening to.

Introduce her to his enclosure and see how it goes... if not both males, it should be the way to combat her cage aggression.
Just watch them intently for a few hours too see all is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back