Thermostat and new spotted python question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy_num

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
I'll be getting my first python in a couple of days, a cute spotted named Neo :) I have done countless hours of research and looking. My question is: Do I really need a thermostat? The heatmat I'm getting is only 7watt and a UVB light that's 26watt, I'm getting thermometers to keep an eye on temp, but could Neo survive without a stat for a few weeks? With constant thermometer checking and such. I figure if the heat mat and light are low but generate a steady 29 to 31 Celsius heat that can be monitored via the thermometers, it should be okay?

Pythons do not need UV light, but they need heat. A good thermostat is an excellent investment. The probe should be on the surface that the snake rests on. The floor can get very hot - particularly with heat mats. A thermometer that measures air temperature will not pick up a surface hot enough to burn your pet. I highly recommend a 'heat gun' infrared thermometer for checking surface temperatures. I use digital probe thermometers for constant monitoring, but the heat gun is the best for a good check. If you get the environment right, your snake will stay healthy, so it is worth investing in the right equipment.

Definitely get a thermostat. I have a 5w heat mat covering one third of the base of a glass vivarium for my little spotted, and it gets close to 50 degrees on top of the mat if I run it without the thermo. You don't want to burn the new arrival.

Definitely get a thermostat. I have a 5w heat mat covering one third of the base of a glass vivarium for my little spotted, and it gets close to 50 degrees on top of the mat if I run it without the thermo. You don't want to burn the new arrival.

Soo I'm ditching the UV light annnd investing in a far better thermostat o.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back