She makes me jump at every feed lol.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
I've had my woma for 8 months now.
Shes a really good girl and has only bitten me once which was simply a food response.

When I run out of mice and feed rats, she smells it and takes her time and it may take up to 10 minutes before she very slowly takes it.

But..... When food is a mouse, she's super fast and hits so hard,every time I jump. lol.

I'm not scarred of her and I'm not worried about her biting but I I I feel like a bit of an idiot especially if there are onlookers.

Is anyone else like that .

I've had my woma for 8 months now.
Shes a really good girl and has only bitten me once which was simply a food response.

When I run out of mice and feed rats, she smells it and takes her time and it may take up to 10 minutes before she very slowly takes it.

But..... When food is a mouse, she's super fast and hits so hard,every time I jump. lol.

I'm not scarred of her and I'm not worried about her biting but I I I feel like a bit of an idiot especially if there are onlookers.

Is anyone else like that .

Just a natural reaction haha don't worry :) post a video of her feeding? :)

Yep!
I've been with my partner 18 months now, and we have recently moved in together. It was the first time he had seen me feed my pythons. He found it quite amusing when he watched me feed them the first time because I pretty much jump out of my skin; doesn't matter if I'm feeding baby rats to my hatchies or rabbits to my coastal, I jump all the time :rolleyes:

I liked watching him jump out of his skin when he gave it a go :D

If your scared of getting bitten buy a pair of tongs or tweezers to feed them. Yes majority of people will jump feeding as you get surprised when they strike. To be honest I am pretty much over jumping when my python feeds, compared to feeding my elapids it is a walk in the park.
Cheers Cameron

Last edited:
Can image how much higher Ill jump when she's bigger. :)
Mostly I feed her when I'm on my own so no one sees me.
Glad to hear than I'm not the only one.

Just a natural reaction haha don't worry :) post a video of her feeding? :)

Actually, it's funnier watching her with a rat- she moves around it and smells it for around 10 minutes then, if she touches it, she recoils and rubs her head on the paper that I place on floor of enclosure. lol.

My hypo bredli does it to me all the time...
I get her and put her in her feeding tube and as soon as she goes in the tube she knows its feeding time and just anything that goes near the tube is going to get bit... But other than that she is a complete pussy cat :p

If your scared of getting bitten buy a pair of tongs or tweezers to feed them. Yes majority of people will jump feeding as you get surprised when they strike. To be honest I am pretty much over jumping when my python feeds, compared to feeding my elapids it is a walk in the park.
Cheers Cameron

Yeah, some hard hitting pythons don't seem so bad when you have elapids that shoot up the tongs and can land you in hospital

My hypo bredli does it to me all the time...
I get her and put her in her feeding tube and as soon as she goes in the tube she knows its feeding time and just anything that goes near the tube is going to get bit... But other than that she is a complete pussy cat :p

Same as mine

Feed her rats, slower response. Why are you switching from mice to rats and back again?

I mix my Womas feed every time, 3 mice one week, a rat the next fortnight and a quail after that. He doesn't care what I feed him now once I put him in his feeding tub I could wiggle a wet sock at him and his tale will go a hundred miles and hour.
I find feeding him in a tub has him trained to eat quick and no chance of him mistaking me for food anywhere else.

I mix my Womas feed every time, 3 mice one week, a rat the next fortnight and a quail after that. He doesn't care what I feed him now once I put him in his feeding tub I could wiggle a wet sock at him and his tale will go a hundred miles and hour.
I find feeding him in a tub has him trained to eat quick and no chance of him mistaking me for food anywhere else.

Tried waving food infront of him in his enclosure? I'm sure he'd still smash it.

I always feed with tongs unless just feeding small items to hatchies which in all honesty can barely break the skin. With some adults of species such as womas and Bhp's I have seen people just leave the foot item in the cage for the snake to find rather than dangling it due to overly aggressive feeding responses.

Feed her rats, slower response. Why are you switching from mice to rats and back again?

She is on mice however, if my supplier runs out, I will give her a rat.
Pits either that or no feed.
Why? Is there a problem with doing that?
Once a month she gets a quail.

No big probs, if she turns fussy may become an issue. Most keepers once they have them on rats keep them on rats tho.

I still jump big time when I feed mine and I have no idea why! I'm completely expecting it and watching them but no matter what I still jump through the roof.

I feed my woma once a month now and he gets very food orientated come feeding time. Anyway I had had a couple of social drinks with some friends so I was quite relaxed. I had the rat but Sheldon was in his hide with no head showing, I tapped the rat onto entrance of the hide a couple of times and then turned to my mate to explain that when Sheldon smells it he will be out to smash the rat. As I turned I must have moved the rat away from the hide to nearly out of the enclosure door, the look on my mates face suggested that something was happening. As I turned back I noticed the rat near the entrance of the enclosure and Sheldon flying out of the hide at top speed with his mouth wide open. I slightly pooed my pants as I was caught slightly unaware.

With our juveniles it's not so bad for some reason. They are still very fast when they strike their food. But when I went to feed our recently deceased bredli, I have to admit I jumped a mile when she struck. On one hand I was expecting some sort of response, but last time we fed her, we had to leave the rat in the tank, as she showed no initial interest.
So, yes, it's not uncommon. :)

No big probs, if she turns fussy may become an issue. Most keepers once they have them on rats keep them on rats tho.

ok then. thanks for that. She's fussy in the sense that since her very first feed with her breeder, she's refused rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back