Bearded Dragon Heating Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
Want to know what kind of heating globe do I need for a Central Bearded Dragon?

I've been researching for the past 12 hours :shock: and all the sites I've been on tell me that they need a basking spot of 30 - 40 degrees to digest there food properly, is this correct?

The IMIT Thermostat in the 4ft enclosure I've got only goes up to 30, how do I make a heat globe set to above a 30 degree mark?:?

Can you guys help me out on what kind of heating globe will I need for one? & what wattage works for u?

Also where can I find a temperature gun?, as I've heard there extremely accurate.:)

Any help is appreciated :D

got my temp gun from ebay.

as for keeping my 4ft enclosures at 32-34 i use a ceramic heat emitter 100-150watts and set the thermostat to 34.

My basking spots are between 40-45 degrees. Don't use a thermostat just use a bulb that gets the right temps.

I just use a normal 100watt bulb from bunnings or similar. I dont use a thermostat on my beardies. They are taken out of their enclosures everyday anyway.

it also depends on the distance the light is set at, eg. the further away the light source the less heat, i use a 50w roughly 15 cm's away from the ground and it sits at about 32c and they are fine basking till their mouths open.,(also it is noted that a bearded dragon can raise it's temp to around 35c even when basking at a lower temp)

Cheers guys, will an Exo Terra 100 watt Intense Basking Spot Lamp be appropriate to use?:)

I use an Exa Terra 100W infrared basking spot bulb in my 4 ft tank. It's approximately 30 cm away from the basking spot (which is a log) and it keeps it at about 37-43 degrees during the day, depending on the outside temperature.

I initially had it closer, about 15-20 cm away but it was getting far too hot that close, like 59 degrees ish, so be careful of that, they give off quite a lot of heat and a slight change in distance can make a big change in temperature.

I also got my IR temp gun from ebay, was only like $25, heaps of fun xD and useful too.

Last edited:
I use an Exa Terra 100W infrared basking spot bulb in my 4 ft tank. It's approximately 30 cm away from the basking spot (which is a log) and it keeps it at about 37-43 degrees during the day, depending on the outside temperature.

Is this the Exo Terra one you use?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 53
Yup, that's it. It's pretty bright, I thought it might not give off much light, it does, it's just red.

Dose your Beardie like the red?

Would this Exo Terra one be okay to use instead of the red one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I would defiantly go the white light over the red. I personally use a Phillips spotlight as it does the same thing at a much cheaper cost.

Mine doesn't seem to mind the red, I don't think it's as bright as a white light would be, but I'm no expert haha, my first beardie, I just went with what I was told xD

I would defiantly go the white light over the red. I personally use a Phillips spotlight as it does the same thing at a much cheaper cost.

What wattage do u use? & do u have a picture of what your globe looks like?

What wattage do u use? & do u have a picture of what your globe looks like?

here they are. I brought a selection so I could experiment. My enclosure is only 3 foot long so I use the 60watt. And the 40watt on a hot day. I would guess the 75 would be the one you want. I just build up or flatten my basking spot depending on witch bulb I'm using to get the right basking spot temp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 48
Cam has hit the nail on the head. Use these philips globes they are cheap and last!!
Dont use red or infa red. These dragons are from the desert!! you need to replicate the look and heat of the sun in their natural environment. Don't use any thermostats either.

here they are. I brought a selection so I could experiment. My enclosure is only 3 foot long so I use the 60watt. And the 40watt on a hot day. I would guess the 75 would be the one you want. I just build up or flatten my basking spot depending on witch bulb I'm using to get the right basking spot temp

Thanks so much Carmsdragons, very much appreciate your help :)

- - - Updated - - -

Cam has hit the nail on the head. Use these philips globes they are cheap and last!!
Dont use red or infa red. These dragons are from the desert!! you need to replicate the look and heat of the sun in their natural environment. Don't use any thermostats either.

Thanks, can I ask why I shouldn't use a thermostat?

- - - Updated - - -

This is the IMIT thermostat it's got in it, how am I supposed to make the basking spot temp 30+ degrees? :?

Sorry if it sounds pointless, but I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to do this, is it the wattage of the globe or something?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 31
a thermostat controls the heat from a specific heating element. When the temps drop the thermostat tells the element to switch on until the desired heat is achieved then it switches off. If you connect this to a basking lamp the light will be switching on and off all the time and annoy your dragon and anyone in the room not to mention probably shortening the life of the globe.
What most of us do is just get a lightbulb like cam mentioned (philips brand) and don't connect it to any thermostat. Just leave it on and measure the basking spot underneath the light. You should aim for 40-45 degrees celcius. If the light is too weak to produce that much heat either lower the light closer to the basking spot or use a higher wattage bulb.

I agree with grogshla. That particular thermostat might not be the best.(admittedly I don't know how that one works) Having said that I do have a thermostat. (The one in the first picture) the probe is in the cool end and I have it set so when the cool end reaches 30 it dims the basking light. It hasn't actually reached that temp before but it's my backup plan because its not unusual for us to have 40plus degree days and I'm a bit paranoid. Although if I know it's going to be hot I just leave the air con on so it may be overkill on my part:lol:
also I think you maybe confused about the temp. Only a small section will be the hot (between 40 and 45) basking spot. On my log here. The very top is 45 degrees . The floor behing the log is 35. The cactus where my pygmy is sitting is 43, closer to the front glass is only 32.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
What most of us do is just get a lightbulb like cam mentioned (philips brand) and don't connect it to any thermostat.

How do I do that? As the thermostat switches the globes off and on when the temp hits the desired temperature.

Do I connect the basking globe to a timer instead?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back