Dieing Hatchlings :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Condensation is formed inside the tub when air is exchanged, BECAUSE there is a difference in temperature AND there is water vapor in the air. Just because you can't physically see the water doesn't mean it's not there in gas form.

Water cannot build up in an egg tub by opening the lid.The humidity in an egg tub is much higher than the humidity of the room that the incubater is in.By opening an egg tub humidity will drop which in turn will dry out the substrate.

Condensation is formed inside the tub when air is exchanged, BECAUSE there is a difference in temperature AND there is water vapor in the air. Just because you can't physically see the water doesn't mean it's not there in gas form.

And tell me then.... Where did the water in the air come from?

If there is enough condensation to drown your eggs then there was too much water to begin with.

It's really not that complicated. You asked why and an answer was offered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@ cement. I knew all along that my babies most likely died because of the water they were sitting in that went undetected for a few days, I mentioned that straight up. Yes, the vermiculite was probably not a good idea as it risked the water level being raised, (another idea I heard about and tried) But I'll be damned if I sit here and have someone tell me that condensation cannot build up and form excess water in a bloody egg tub. Obviously, it did... Or I would not have lost my Hatchy's.

And thank you for your support on telling me that my method is wrong wrong wrong! I learned a lot from that :) My entire method is not wrong.. If it was, NONE of my Hatchy's would have survived.

Lesson learned.. Stick to what you know..

@ cement. I knew all along that my babies most likely died because of the water they were sitting in that went undetected for a few days, I mentioned that straight up. Yes, the vermiculite was probably not a good idea as it risked the water level being raised, (another idea I heard about and tried) But I'll be damned if I sit here and have someone tell me that condensation cannot build up and form excess water in a bloody egg tub. Obviously, it did... Or I would not have lost my Hatchy's.

And thank you for your support on telling me that my method is wrong wrong wrong! I learned a lot from that :) My entire method is not wrong.. If it was, NONE of my Hatchy's would have survived.

Lesson learned.. Stick to what you know..

Oh dear.....
Condensation can NOT 'build up' water in a tub like that. For there to be condensation there must be evaporation!

Did you even look at the pretty cartoon I posted for you?

If your method were 'not wrong' then ALL of your hatchlings would probably be alive.

On another note, if you know better than the several people who have posted here then why did you bother asking for opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, just wow. Go back to school and maybe pay attention in 4th grade biology/science. I'm not normally rude but if you can dish it out you can take it back.

These breeders are so much more experienced than you, taking there own time to try and help you and you act like that!

Never heard of people using vermiculite in a over water method I'd listen to cement he has just a great deal more experience and was only trying to help I hope your not going to try and sell any of these sickly reptile after all this

Last edited:
Think of it like this perhaps ? You have 100 mls of water in a saucepan. You put a fully sealed lid on. Boil the water. Condensate collects on the lid . You can do this forever. If your lid remains sealed you will see you will always have 100 mls of water, not more. The water just circulates. If you remove the lid you will actually loose water vapor due to heat exchange. Do this a few times and you will have LESS than 100 mls if water
in the saucepan. You cannot make more water than you put originally . Just a thought .

Your egg platform must of been really close to the water and the vermiculite must of had enough water absorbed to raise the water level enough to drown the eggs, I'm guessing the vermiculite was not in the water so when the water evaporated from the vermiculite it formed condensation and dripped down to the water in the bottom of the tub raising the water level and leaving the vermiculite dry. Thats where your extra water came from not from thin air.

Congrats on inventing the under water method :p

OK, maybe a pic of how you are incubating would help.
All I can think of is you are incubating over water but where the eggs are sitting does not drain properly, condensation is dripping into the location the eggs are sitting and building up.
For example, a tub with a water bottom but the eggs are sitting in another container being stabilised by vermiculite.

Otherwise yea, the humidity in the tub will be higher then external, every time you open the tub you will loose water.

Think of it like this perhaps ? You have 100 mls of water in a saucepan. You put a fully sealed lid on. Boil the water. Condensate collects on the lid . You can do this forever. If your lid remains sealed you will see you will always have 100 mls of water, not more. The water just circulates. If you remove the lid you will actually loose water vapor due to heat exchange. Do this a few times and you will have LESS than 100 mls if water
in the saucepan. You cannot make more water than you put originally . Just a thought .

The big statement is "if the lid remains sealed." An incubator is not a closed environment. The door is opened which causes changes in temperature which causes condensation. Therefore more water can possibly be introduced into the system.
If more water vapor could not be introduced then it would never rain except in places that already had water. So it would never rain in the desert by your logic. Water vapor is fluid. It moves from place to place by air movement. Just like opening the lid on an incubator.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of people using vermiculite in a over water method I'd listen to cement he has just a great deal more experience and was only trying to help I hope your not going to try and sell any of these sickly reptile after all this

Hi trento, my remaining 16 hatchies seem to be doing well, all have full tummy's and should shed in the next week. Those eggs were not exposed to water, only 3 on the bottom of the clutch were, which caused 3 Hatchy's to die in the later stages of incubation and after hatching. My reptiles always have 3-4 strong feeds before finding new homes, no matter how long it takes. I do not want the new owners having any issues with them. My reptiles will absolutely NOT be sold "sickly" as you say.
I have no comments regarding the "almighty cement"..

Cheers. :D

Did you really start this thread to get answers or to be argumentative?

People have taken their time and offered their opinions which by the way are perfectly valid,yet you are refusing to believe what you are being told then top it off by being contrary and straight out nasty.

Good luck getting anyone else to pass on their knowledge to you given your attitude.

Did you really start this thread to get answers or to be argumentative?

People have taken their time and offered their opinions which by the way are perfectly valid,yet you are refusing to believe what you are being told then top it off by being contrary and straight out nasty.

Good luck getting anyone else to pass on their knowledge to you given your attitude.

I actually started this thread to seek help/opinions. Everyone has their own experiences and theories. I take in what people have said, absolutely. I have realized what mistake was made and why it happened. I did not however gain any knowledge or help from somebody telling me "you did this wrong, you did that wrong" then go on to argue about the processes of air vapor, condensation, evaporation, humidity etc. as if he's a meteorologist.

In which statement was I straight out nasty if I may I ask? It is merely a debate about the process of air exchange, condensation etc. Unless there's a meteorologist in here to confirm either way, it's definitely a viable open discussion. :)

A discussion which I have had enough of wasting my time on. But I got a good laugh :)

Just for the record, the processes or condensation/evaporation and air exchange are not debatable as they have been scientifically proven.

You were told what you did was wrong because it was wrong, if you wanted to learn something then learn from that.

As for a meteorologist, I refer you to my previously posted cartoon (which is designed for primary school children). That is how it happens, no question about it, even a fourth grader knows that. You are flat out wrong in this case, there's no convincing you though apparently. Ignorance is bliss hey?

Crysy, I'm not out to start a fight on the net, just trying to help you. You need to under stand we are doing the best we can to help you, we are not teachers, we put things across to you the best we can. That might come across a bit blunt at times but like I said we are not teachers and have no training as such. So please forgive us if it looks like everyone is trying to argue with you because its not that way.

I actually started this thread to seek help/opinions. Everyone has their own experiences and theories. I take in what people have said, absolutely. I have realized what mistake was made and why it happened. I did not however gain any knowledge or help from somebody telling me "you did this wrong, you did that wrong" then go on to argue about the processes of air vapor, condensation, evaporation, humidity etc. as if he's a meteorologist.

In which statement was I straight out nasty if I may I ask? It is merely a debate about the process of air exchange, condensation etc. Unless there's a meteorologist in here to confirm either way, it's definitely a viable open discussion. :)

A discussion which I have had enough of wasting my time on. But I got a good laugh :)

Is an environmental scientist good enough? Your wrong. For reasons everyone else has mentioned quite clearly :)

I did not however gain any knowledge or help from somebody telling me "you did this wrong, you did that wrong" then go on to argue about the processes of air vapor, condensation, evaporation, humidity etc. as if he's a meteorologist.

The point is you should learn from experienced people telling you what you have done wrong. That is the whole point of seeking advice.
Glad you are having a laugh over it, most people on here don't find it funny when hatchies die unnecessarily.

Crysy, I'm not out to start a fight on the net, just trying to help you. You need to under stand we are doing the best we can to help you, we are not teachers, we put things across to you the best we can. That might come across a bit blunt at times but like I said we are not teachers and have no training as such. So please forgive us if it looks like everyone is trying to argue with you because its not that way.

Thank you DarwinBrianT. I understand that. What I am trying to explain seems logical to me, it seems by the laws of nature that it's possible. That's all. If it's not.. I stand corrected.

- - - Updated - - -

As for everyone else, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

The big statement is "if the lid remains sealed." An incubator is not a closed environment. The door is opened which causes changes in temperature which causes condensation. Therefore more water can possibly be introduced into the system.
If more water vapor could not be introduced then it would never rain except in places that already had water. So it would never rain in the desert by your logic. Water vapor is fluid. It moves from place to place by air movement. Just like opening the lid on an incubator.

Ok class, we're starting to understand the concept of exaporation/condensation.
Today we're going to talk about diffusion. (Sorry, but I don't have a pretty picture). Particles in a solution will naturally flow to a region of high concentration to one of low concentration (approaching an even distribution). When applied to your incubator, assume that the water suspended in air will behave in this way. Since the humidity in your tub is higher than the humidity in the room outside; every time you open the lid more water vapour will flow out of the container than into it.

The only way to increase the water level inside the container is adding water. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back