Dieing Hatchlings :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a play around with incubating my coastal carpet eggs (it was my first time although i had experienced people helping) I made a bar fridge incubator with a 80w heat cord using a thermostat set to 31.
during the night temps where fine but during the day i had temp spikes up to 36 degrees (average of 34) i found that the humidity was higher at night than the day when the heat cord was on. the temps got higher during the day because the ambient temps of where I live (rural Darwin)

the tub was a plastic Tupperware container it was about 150mm h x 100w x 400 long with 2 pvc tubes cut to raise the wire from the water. I used over water method but added perlite to stop splashing i had a visible 20mm of water in the bottom of the tub i would open the container once a week and have condensation built up on the lid and side (due to inconsistent temp i would say) which i would wipe off there was also 1 hole in the container that I used to get a thermometer and hydrometer in which would of been 8 mm

out of 16 eggs I lost 2 due to mold in the early stages of incubation i would say the embryos where no good
and one had a deformity which was euthanize.

I found that even with opening the lid and the hole there was no extra water in the container
next year I will be doing things a little different.

I had a play around with incubating my coastal carpet eggs (it was my first time although i had experienced people helping) I made a bar fridge incubator with a 80w heat cord using a thermostat set to 31.
during the night temps where fine but during the day i had temp spikes up to 36 degrees (average of 34) i found that the humidity was higher at night than the day when the heat cord was on. the temps got higher during the day because the ambient temps of where I live (rural Darwin)

the tub was a plastic Tupperware container it was about 150mm h x 100w x 400 long with 2 pvc tubes cut to raise the wire from the water. I used over water method but added perlite to stop splashing i had a visible 20mm of water in the bottom of the tub i would open the container once a week and have condensation built up on the lid and side (due to inconsistent temp i would say) which i would wipe off there was also 1 hole in the container that I used to get a thermometer and hydrometer in which would of been 8 mm

out of 16 eggs I lost 2 due to mold in the early stages of incubation i would say the embryos where no good
and one had a deformity which was euthanize.

I found that even with opening the lid and the hole there was no extra water in the container
next year I will be doing things a little different.

Thank you for your post phatty It's good to see someone else's experience using the same technique. A lot of things need to be accounted for using a method like this, as does any other. I definitely have learned some things which I would account for next time if I choose this method again. But overall I found it quite affective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back