Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know breeders do payment plans and that's good, but I'm not a breeder I am selling a one off. If you bought a fish tank out of the trading post would you expect a payment plan?

I'm going to defend payment plans, as I am part way through one, and have bought one of my previous snakes through payment plan. Saying that, they are both near $1000 snakes; it it was
$500 or less I can understand not wanting to do payment plans.

Payment Plans are essentially a gentlemen's agreement - verbal contract maybe written. They are both upheld under law, but they are essentially costly if you want to contest them. They are also stressful no matter how easy they are because there is always risk. When we were setting up our business, I had a chance to shoot quite a lot of questions to a lawyer with no charge (awesome) and he said the cost of getting contracts written etc is too much when you can simplify the entire situation. Simply pay up front, get your purchase. No money, no product. Either you have it, or you don't.

Payment plans are an option, but they are risky and only suit larger operations who can afford if required, litigation and repo men.

Some people don't like to pay up front as they feel they want to have some sort of control (procrastination really). Some of our customers couldn't afford our products when they first found us, but they still purchased when they saved up for it. Now since the price drop, the wait is a lot shorter.

What happened to saving up for what you want and then getting it? A payment plan is like asking a breeder to help you save (assuming you only get the animal when its paid off). I understand some people see something they want now but they haven't saved up for it and they don't want it to be sold before they can save but thats just life and a lesson learned that you should save some coin for times like that.

I guess my view on it comes from the fact that I have upheld my end when it comes to payment plans, and believe that anyone who enters a payment plan should uphold their end.

I know there are people out there who are dodgy, and sometimes they don't go through with it; for whatever reason. I truly hope that those people are in the minority.

When it comes to your products I don't see the use for a payment plan; I have bought from you before and didn't use a payment plan, as the costs weren't high.

Whereas, with certain livestock, I see the upside of payment plans; especially for more expensive animals. Just as I see the upside of layby with certain stores for more expensive items. When you enter one of these agreements, if you pull out, you forfeit a certain percentage of money you have already paid; if not all money you have previously paid. So if that ends up happening then you will still have to resell the animal, but at least you still make some money from that failed plan.

That's just my view when it comes to payment plans.

Scrap the 'payment plan' I reckon. If it absolutely has to be done wouldn't a holding 'deposit' (non-refundable to protect seller) be enough to prevent people pulling out?

I suppose there is never a shortage of people living outside their means and/or trying hard to convince themselves that they can afford to do so. :/

Back on to the OP though, what a pain people are! It's a little disappointing to have to spell things out for the layman like that. Hope you can keep your sanity!

I can c all the different points of view going on here... Personally I have paid for all my snakes up front but I have also contacted various breeders with questions sorting the right snake (I've never rushed into a buy and have been very particular with my end choice ) so if that's messing a seller about then so be it... I will have various quality snakes available this yr and it won't take me long to become a reputable person to deal with... I agree with [MENTION=19150]Norm[/MENTION] that it's part of the selling business and if u can't handle the odd let down or messing about then basically stop selling... There is always this type of people out there and this will never change so we just got to build that bridge and continue doing r best.

Pete

When initially making inquiries this got up my goat, as it just came across as rude, however on further inspection I realize that it's very easy these days for people to be acting on a whim and to make contact with breeders when they don't really have a clue, the resources, the cash or the attention span to follow through with their hair brain idea. I imagine breeders would get a lot of this.
That said, I will offer a very big pump up to the breeders which I recently bought a wheatbelt stimson off today (located in VIC), who i made contact with 5 months ago, kept me in the loop as they were hatching, first feeds, sheds etc. Just magnificent to deal with. They sent me 15 emails in total (and no, they weren't just replies to me hassling them for when i could pick up the little one) all without a single complaint, or gruff reply.
I must say, these efforts are not lost on buyers like myself, so I would urge all breeders to not lose faith in us just yet!

I always pay up front and a lot of my purchases are interstate. I have no issues paying and then recieving the animals later. I have had a couple of problems with the health of animals when they arrived but since I was buying from reputable people we have had no problem working things out.

As far as selling goes I don't do payment plans and I believe if the buyer doesn't have the cash up front then they probably don't have the cash to look after it properly either.

I do allow people that I have dealt with before to put a holding deposit on hatchies before they are ready to leave or even before they are born and I do this myself when buying hatchies. Occasionally something happens and the buyer can't take the snake when it comes time but I still refund the deposit.

The only thing that really annoys me is when people try to buy an animal without a license or without the correct license. Still get asked all the time. I have a list of people I will never deal with.

Ive let people do paymemnt plans in the past and never had a problem with it. Some people like to know they own one b4 the actually have it, or they can secure the pick of a clutch b4 they have all the money. Im cool with it. Back to original post, we will always get tyre kickers, cant change it so just live with it

I have always paid up front with my reptiles or done a trade if they were interested, only commented on the payment plan as I didn't know it was done or even an option to begin with in herp sales.

Non living items (games, new console if old one buggered) that are above $100 dollars I usually layby or sell some of my stuff/more critter (inverts) hunting and sales to get the cash as I'm crap at saving up for stuff long term but stick to payment plans like laybying easily and don't skip on payments and can save up short term fine.

Don't worry, I've had plenty of tyre kickers and people trying to barter with just selling household items, my inverts and my stuff off ebay/charity stores I get cheap and sell back at a higher/worth cost (mainly jewellery,sought after PS1 games, vintage toys etc).

Last edited:
If someone can commit to a payment plan. Say $100 a week. Then why don't they just save the $100 per week and pay in full. I've never understood it.

Really amusing ones are when someone sends you a txt "i wanna get a python call me"

well i guess if its an $800 dollar animal whats to say you havent already sold it 8 weeks later when they have finally saved up for it, id say most people offering that are genuinely interested in owning that animal and while at the time dont have the money are willing to hand it out to you as it comes in. Some people arent interested in that and its their choice to say yes or no but i dont see the massive drama people make out they endure when someone asks, as for adds and pic collectors, theres an add on here right now with pictures of the parent animals, only its the same animal in all 3 pics, so if i was interested in buying those offspring id be first wondering why the seller has put only 1 adult up and said its both, id want pics of both especially the adult thats been left out and id be asking a lot of other questions about the animals being sold so i know im actually buying what i think i am, if i didnt ask all those questions id be an idiot, if your selling something be prepared to have people ask about it before they commit to buy, simple as that

If someone can commit to a payment plan. Say $100 a week. Then why don't they just save the $100 per week and pay in full. I've never understood it.
Uhhhhh?..... Cause they want u to hold the snake of there choice?

I still don't take deposits but rather take people at their word.I put an reptile aside for them on the proviso that if their situation changes to let me know right away.Most of the time it works out fine.

yeah but then they post threads whinging about how they held a snake for a few weeks and never heard back from the bloke, id prefer to take their money as it comes in if im going to offer either of those 2 deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back