Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brodie_W said:
You think that people in other countries should have to wait to be able to see these amazing animals at zoos? Just so that we can breed a few hundred more so that everyone in oz can have one?

Call me selfish but i think thats a great idea.... :lol: :wink:

Why are people talking about replenishing wild stocks, last time I checked they didn't need replenishing, they're not Endangered, just have a small range which makes them rare.

I thought the reason for shipping these animals overseas (in breeding pairs no less) was to protect the gene pool. They do not want the same thing to happen to RSP's as happened for example to the Gastric Brooding Frog which was recently declared extinct. It was known to be fairly common over a small range and one day they wanted to do some research on it and could not find any. (Pretty unusual for an animal to turn off its digestive system and brood its young in its stomach ;-) )

A similar thing has been done with the Woollemi Pine. These are known from only handful of specimens in a remote NSW valley. Early next year they will become available to the general public and people from overseas are encouraged to be put on the waiting list to receive one. Have a look at http://www.wollemipine.com for the whole story including answers as to why these are being sent overseas.

We can afford a Woollemi Pine and have put our names on the list. Alas we cannot afford RSP's but if we could our names would definitley be on that list also.

Daavid,
I believe that some Wollemi Pines have already been sold...I read an article recently stating that the Hunter Valley Gardens up here just north of Newcastle has bought 1 (or more) to display...only a young tree of course. A fantastic thing that they found this tree and the people who stumbled upon it did the right thing and all action taken has been to preserve the species.

Simon Archibald

Oh sorry....just saw you said "general public"...of course Hunter Valleys Gardens is not just the general public.

Simon Archibald

Brodie_W said:
Give some examples of australian snakes they have overseas that we cant get! I cant think of any off the top of my head! But im tired

The Ant-hill Python there are some in overseas countries and from what i know there have not been many if any for sale to the public here.
White Lip Python while it might not be on the mainland of Australia they are still on surrounding Australian islands(well from what i have read about them they are) but i have never seen these for sale in Australia. Thought i am aware that other countries have WLP also. such as New Guinea
The Oenpelli Python..supposedly there is some kept legally in the U.S in zoos though this could have just been a rumor.

There is a rumour that there are some Oenpelli pythons in Canada. There are none in any Zoo in the US, according to the curator of reptiles at one of the zoos in the south. Forget the name of the zoo, but the guys name is Dale.

Ant Hill pythons you are right about! I forgot about those. But there are still a few here in Australia, they just dont come up for public sale often. I dont mind though, ive seen illegal specimens of these, and they were just like a mini childreni - boring! There is nothing wrong with them being overseas though, as there are plenty of wild ones in Oz! Its just a matter of the government letting someone collect a few pairs.

Most, if not all, WLP in US are not from Australia. So they dont really count! Nice snakes though... ;)

PS - Zoo is Alberqurque Biological Centre, I THINK. No idea how to spell alberqurque sorry ;)

Speaking of rare in australia. Does anybody know of varanus prasinus. The emerald or green tree monitor kept in captivity within australia? like the gtp occuring within australia and its surrounding islands (png). Is the green tree monitor considered australian if it is a rare occurence in nth qld?

re Rough

tourett said:
Just saw them on HT myself, 24 big ones is a bit much. There been a bit of talk on APS about them comming up for sale and how much they would want for them. Apparently the owner has about 100 of them and has been breeding for sometime. I sure someone here can correct me with the right details.

The problem will always be that they are pretty homely lookin.
I think Tourett was being very kind PMSL cause its the truth,send more to america i reckon but stop Erwin sending out aussie GTPs :roll: Yeh i suppose anything they got for exporting the ruffys is better than nothing,even a pair of candypopsicle corn snakes :lol:

I have never heard of one in Australia but to me they are an exceptional animal with their prehensile tail. Compared to these GTP's are ordinary in my opinion.

I would still like a pair of RSP's though.

Reptilia said:
Speaking of rare in australia. Does anybody know of varanus prasinus. The emerald or green tree monitor kept in captivity within australia? like the gtp occuring within australia and its surrounding islands (png). Is the green tree monitor considered australian if it is a rare occurence in nth qld?

Why are people talking about replenishing wild stocks, last time I checked they didn't need replenishing, they're not Endangered, just have a small range which makes them rare.

Absolutely. If there is one python in Australia that doesn't need any replenishing it is the Rough-Scaled Python. Probably the only python who's habitat we haven't begun destroying yet..

A bit of climate change wipes out their food source... and a year later RSP's are no more due to their limited range.

MrBredli said:

Absolutely. If there is one python in Australia that doesn't need any replenishing it is the Rough-Scaled Python. Probably the only python who's habitat we haven't begun destroying yet..

Hmm.. virtually impossible but 1 point just for being a smart ass :lol:
A far more likely scenario is somebody releasing a captive bred RSP into the wild along with a couple of captive born diseases/viruses and wiping out the entire population.

Also, if we released X amount into the wild before this climate change all those animals would die also so wouldn't it be pointless? In fact the extra strain put on the food supply would make it a more likely scenario..

Forget the climate change wank. Start thinking realistically.

The cane toad is now getting a foothold in western NT. It will only be a few years, 5 - 10 at most, until wild roughies will be getting overrun by them, and due to their isolated george habitat, it's a fair bet their numbers will decline rapidly to the point where they become threatened with extinction in the wild.

A bit of climate change wipes out their food source... and a year later RSP's are no more due to their limited range.

This is correct. You just have to refer to the tv episode of oshea's big adventure when mark oshea and john weigal set off to find another pair of rsp's but find massive damage to their habitat because of climatic changes. A large proportion of its habitat was wiped out... and this is where john weigal apparently found his first pair.

I haven't seen that episode, or at least i don't recall seeing it, but whatever habitat was wiped out, i'm sure it wouldn't have been detrimental to the pythons. They have survived there for a very long time, i think it would take something very significant to wipe this species out. Cane Toads could be that, but i would have guessed that gorges would not really be suitable habitat for Cane Toads. Who knows, maybe RSP are able to eat Cane Toads without ill effect. When the invasion comes, RSP numbers will explode and they will take over all of NT and wipe out all the other python species along with the Cane Toads :shock:

MrBredli said:
A far more likely scenario is somebody releasing a captive bred RSP into the wild along with a couple of captive born diseases/viruses and wiping out the entire population.

Highly unlikey! :wink: And I'm guessing rough scaled Pythons are primarily tree dwellers? Can't say for the life of me I remember cane toads climbing trees! :lol: You guys are laughable! hehehehe

I dont think that RSP will be hurt too much by cane toads. Wrong type of habitat for toads, really. I guess time will tell!

And for those fellow Oenpelli lovers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back