Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all reptiles dearly and respect those greatly that keep herps. BUT at what price, 24k doesnt that = explotation?. Give or take that these were only discovered within the last five years. I guess the roughies range just got smaller. Dont let my words be misconscrewd id love a pair but i think there needs to be a different licence implaced for such animals including Oenapellis and GTPs. Just think about it if they breed so easy why are they so rare and have a small home range?? I dont have the answers, just pose the questions.

People should take into account that John did not just conjure up this of 24k figure without the input and advise of others in this industry. I know this as fact. I also know Johns main objective and preference was to swap for other species but also to have an option to buy the reptiles he so desired with proceeds from the sale of his rough scales if trading was not an option. To do this he has to come up with a value which he has, based on opinions of a few reputable breeders. I do not think that this valuation can be seen as being greedy. Just my opinion.

Jungle_Freak said:
Very rare ,
Very overated ,
Very over priced .
jungle Freak

Sounds like the same boat the GTP's are in personally.

I was under the impression that the GTP's also have massive teeth similar to that of the RSP's.

The Rough Scaled Python I noticed for sale last year was advertised for 15k, whether they managed to sell the animal is another issue. So 2 for 24k!! BARGIN!! Who's first?? hehehe

By general interest, What is the rarest snake in Australia? Oenapelli Rock Python ? I dunno...
Wouldn't mind knowing this myself and both wild and in captivity...i would imagine the broadhead to be up there with rareest found now from habitat destruction etc???

BROWNS said:
By general interest, What is the rarest snake in Australia? Oenapelli Rock Python ? I dunno...
Wouldn't mind knowing this myself and both wild and in captivity...i would imagine the broadhead to be up there with rareest found now from habitat destruction etc???

Normally when species are highly threatened with extinction they are placed on the Cites appendix 1 list, no Australian python is listed on appendix 1, neither is the broadheaded snake, infact I don't think there is an Australian snake listed on appendix 1.
That's not to say that they maybe should and may be added when evidence is produced to the governing body.

Neil

I belive that John's suggestion is that they are an adaption to a rat that lives in the same environment which has hair that sheds easily when it is attacked. The long teeth go past the fur into the flesh.

I believe that John's theory is that they have more in common with GTP's than any other python species.

I don't know about the price but I would love a pair ;-)

Dicco said:
kahn_10 said:
hey they look incredible are they venemous???????
Nah, the long teeth are probably an adaptation for catching bird life.

The GTP has the market in the colour aspect but there is defineately something different about the RSP that makes them that appealling. One can dream of owning one, i'll be putting in gold lotto this weekend or wait a few years for the price to come down but it's good to see people out there are breeding them and selling them.
Just curious but is anyone outthere breeding the Oenapelli Rock Python? now theres one snake i'd put my morgage up against :) They are awesome in the flesh.

No Yommy,

There is only one group of them in captivity, all here in the NT.

They were bred some years ago, though! Which is where some of the current captives came from!

Not yet, give it a season or two. I know of a couple of local lads that managed to get 3 hatchlings from a guy up North and they turned out to be 1 male 2female. Even only at 4ft they look absolutely amazing. I think i have some pics here somewhere ill try and find them.

I hope they become as common as carpets in time, very nice animal, id like to see release of juvies in the wild eventually to boost wild numbers. long live rough scales. :)

re Rough

I can understand why john Weigal wants to get $ mileage out of them but i would immagine he would be struggling,especially at that price.A biologically interesting python but an extremely poor exhibit animal as ive found out after visiting ARP.A GTP is a pretty animal that does nothing and a rough scale is a ordinary looking animal that does nothing so its value to the pet trade is squat realistically.Even trading wise would someone trade one pair of juv chondros when the know the return down the track would not match what they swapped?Yeh ide say this is a quality uninvestment animal compared to a chondro which is investment as they will be sought after by many admirers for a long time yet in the pet industry. :)

Will any of these roughies end up overseas. I was looking at a site once and there was a real interest in the US. There is plenty of money over there.

I hope they become as common as carpets in time, very nice animal, id like to see release of juvies in the wild eventually to boost wild numbers
Can commoners become involved in something like this, or is it purely the domain of zoos, etc? (Hix, this was what I was kinda trying to get at in my PM to you). Could one work in conjunction with a zoo, etc to breed and reestablish wild populations? I would love to get involved in this sort of thing.

With regard to getting a file snake, wouldn't a sock full of jelly surfice? :D

Davem54 if I remember correctly a pair was sold legally to an American park last year. Forget its name, someone else might be able to help you.

i think it was Reptile Gardens which had the RSPs. It really annoys me how America and other countries have Australian reptiles that we hardly have in captivity.

i never said that they did have more...what i ment was they have some Australian species which we barely have here in captivity. I know we have quite alot of RSP but i dont think we should be 'giving' our snakes and other reptiles which we have not even established good quantitys of here in Australia... This is just my opinion though.

You think that people in other countries should have to wait to be able to see these amazing animals at zoos? Just so that we can breed a few hundred more so that everyone in oz can have one? Not gonna happenb mate. RSP are well established here anyway, with over 100 in captivity.

Give some examples of australian snakes they have overseas that we cant get! I cant think of any off the top of my head! But im tired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back