Fishtank for Snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonustokin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im thinking of getting a childrens python for my first snake, and was wondering, are fishtanks ok for them to live in? Size of the tank is: Length 1200mm, Width 450mm, Height 500mm. Ive heard they dont hold heat very well.Any advice will be appreciated, Thanks.

For a start thats huge for a hatchling, thats about the right size for an adult or two. Secondly you'd have to make sure it has a good escape-proof lid as they can get out of almost anything!

Buy a cheap plastic tub and drill/solder some holes in it or buy a plastic "mouse" tub from the pet shop, you can use it for mice when your snake out-grows it. About a foot long or so.

OK thanks for the help. So do these "chilldrens pythons" need a heater and heat pads? or just heatpads? or nothing? is there somewhere i can get this info from? like a caresheet for them or something? thanks.

deathinfire - That enclosure looks like it has a hole in the top LOL

ok so i shouldnt keep a hatchling in a tank that size? just keep it in a small one until it grows? and what temp should heatpads be kept at? and can i get small mice at petshops for it? thanks guys. (boys & girls)

Some petshops will stock them. Temps should be kept at 24 min at cool end and 32 max at warm end.

ok thanks again. ill get everything ready, get my license, and then ill get back to ya's with more questions if yas dont mind... hahah. peace.

You can also get the larger size pet tanks (Plastic with coloured lids) from most "$2 shops" they are usually $10-$12(Ironic its a $2 shop) and what i usually do is place some fly screen between the lid and the tank so it pulls taught and there is no chance of the snake escaping.
Place half or 1/4 of the tank on a heat mat, Add a lid from a peanut butter-coffee or any of the like jar with a small entry hole cut out and then add a small water dish i also use a coffee lid for this use

Hope that helps :D

Ok thanks, sounds pretty easy to setup a home for a snake then. I have just found a ladie in my town who owns 2 snakes, i am going around there this week to learn how to handle them, and while i am there, i will have a look at her snakes setup. Which should makes things alot clearer for me. One question im still not clear on tho,is, Do childrens pythons need a special sort of light? Or will it be fine without one? please explain, thanks again guys, Peace.

I just got a new Bredli and have it in an old fishtank. It has a fluro and a heat mat at one end. The tank might be a bit too big, but there are 2 dark hiding places (one hot, one cold) and lots of other greenery for it so feel secure.

It's debatable whether ot not they need UVA/UVB. I've had a childrens python for about 15 years, and only the last few years has it had a special fluro, and I haven't noticed any change in behaviour or colour since then.

Have I had posts deleted or is there an issue on here and I am missing part of this thread??

NinaPeas. That setup looks great! May i ask how big the tank is? mines about 4 foot long and 2 foot wide. Though if i have enough objects in there for the snake to hide,(cold and warm), will it be ok? And.... how did you seel the lids? because i know mine arnt acceptable for a snake. I could learn alot from you, Ninapeas. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back